1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Civs. Is that enough? More to come?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by George is Angry, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I very much doubt that'll be the case. For starters, the devs (Will Miller in particular) have said Beyond Earth, and Civilization in general, is very much about the story of humanity. In addition, alien factions would have to be completely different from human ones, from cities to buildings to units. And they wouldn't really be compatible with the Affinities system, possibly not even Virtues.

Overall, they don't fit. Just slapping on aliens which are functionally 95% the same as humans would be cheap and frankly terrible. And giving their implementation the depth it deserves would require even more than a full expansion.

2. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

No, I don't think BE will have any expansions with alien factions. I think the expansions will follow the same pattern as civ5, and add more content and new features that the devs wanted to add but did not have time to fully flesh out. I think we will see ocean cities, perhaps a primitive form of terraforming, definitely more sponsors to pick from, perhaps a 4th affinity. perhaps more virtues, definitely new units, new wonders and new techs, etc...

3. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I guessing we're only kicking off with 8 sponsors because a lot went into customizing each leader with their 3 possible Affinity designs and the way they evolve over the course of a game.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I'm thinking of waiting till the first expansion pack.

Heck, I just bought Starcraft 2 this afternoon. I think it should be pretty polished by now. :)

5. mrjepson

mrjepson Warlord

For more people on a larger map couldn't a sponsor just send more than one expedition? I guess the leaders would look the same but they would likely have different seeding characteristics.

6. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

This is, I think, one of the shortcomings of the entire Civ series: That a civ MUST have something uniquely it's own in order to qualify for a starting position.

Civ is nominally based on History. It IS an abstract mechanic that is required to cover a span of 6,000 years or so. But during that time span, there were many, many empires that only really differed by which language they used. When it comes right down to it, just how different were the French, Spanish, and English empires from one another? If you wanted to have contrast, you would have to contrast distant empires. Like comparing the English empire with the Mayan empire with the Chinese empire. Next door neighbors tended to be quite a bit alike. So whatever empire is chosen, there would have been serious competitors that were for all intents and purposes, practically clones. In game terms, identical UAs and UUs. The fact that they are identical doesn't make them any less of a serious opponent.

7. swordoflight86

swordoflight86 Warlord

Please no, the alien civs in SMAX were way OP.

8. Liex

Liex King

But aren't Civ V's England, France and Spain completely distinct from each other? Surely they have a lot in common (they're European, Christian, established their overseas empire etc.), but their difference in gameplay reflects their historical differences, and that means they are unique enough.

9. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

My point exactly. Using historical modeling, each of them should have near-identical abilities and units. The game design awards unique abilities that were, in fact, not really all that unique. But despite their many similarities, they were usually the fiercest of competitors. Things that were unique tended to stop being so rather quickly. Either they were emulated by the others, or else the unique thing was abandoned for a more modern replacement.

10. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

The problem is: With BE's seeding mechanic, sponsors have way less impact on gameplay than Civ5's civilizations. It is way harder to justify all the work that is necessary to create them (with three affinity-outfits to be modeled they are even more work than Civ5's leaders. At least there is no background necessary).
    It all boils down to - more or less - some more visual variety. Which is, don't get me wrong, an important part of the game experience and I too would like some different characters to meet. But I don't expect them to feel much different when playing as them.

11. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

but it was precisely those unique things, and the period of time in which they were relevant, which gave an advantage to said country/civ. Just like in the game, it was up to each civ to take maximum advantage of that particular uniqueness during its relevant and limited period.

12. cazaderon

cazaderon Chieftain

I'd expect expansions more in the spirits of Civ IV. And alien factions i really dont expect considering the seeding mecanics and the victory conditions that are very tight to human condition and history.

13. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

RE: Aliens, I'm going to give the answer you get if you suggest anything: Mod it in. A game called, say, Alpha Centauri has the possibility for aliens, because it's a planet not Earth. Beyond Earth directly implies Earth is involved and aliens just don't work.
    as for if it's enough - Colonization has anywhere from four (civ IV col vanilla) to 6 (freecol) civs, with a bunch of "stations" and "alien nests" (i.e. native americans) scattered across the map. it really is enough.

14. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

For some reason, even though I love Really Many Civs, I have no problem with 8 factions in BE. Come on, this is colonization of alien planet, not 22 civs tourist invasion :D I would definitely see some kind of Latin America, Anglo-Germanic nations and Islamic faction though.

15. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

True.
    But the main issue is not the one, single game you play. The issue is replayability and the 10th, 20th,... 100th game. The same 8 factions, the same 8 faces being seen again and again might feel just a teeny tiny bit repetitive after a while...

16. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

to be fair I could write a page on how fed up I am with the predictability of Civ V civs, but eh
    in the end there is no limit to the amount of civs that get annoying.

17. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Yep exactly, it's not like you will have 20+ civs on the same map. (the tourist comment made me :lol: though) More than 8 would just mean more variety between games. I'd really like to see 16 or 24 at some point, though I doubt we'll ever see that many.

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

16 is the Most I would want... if they add more, they start making the game worse.

19. Manannan

Manannan Prince

This. Maybe they prove me wrong and do an awesome job of keeping things balanced, but even adding, say, 4 more civs to the game I think you'd start to see power creep setting in. I'm not even talking CiV "BNW Poland vs vanilla Germany or Japan" obvious out of control power creep, I mean just early warning signs "wow, Babylon DLC is kinda better than everything in the base game" power creep we've seen in the past.

20. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

This might be true, especially if you look at the current civ's abilities...

Spy
    Satellites
    Science/culture synergy
    Wonder/worker
    Food
    Military
    Trade routes
    Expansion

Each civ's UA covers a separate portion of the game with no real overlap. There could be room for a straight production oriented civ and a strictly naval oriented civ. Beyond that, there would need entirely new systems added (religion) to justify new civs without overlapping with the current civ abilities, which they obviously took care in avoiding. I can still dream though. :D