8 years of civil unrest?

Seriously, what gives here, you'd think after 3 years of happy occupation that the rioters would just give up and let me build them theaters and marketplaces already.

Are any occupied countries really this stubborn?

Just keep putting units in and eventually they'll shut up and work for you

You have to put at least three units into a conquered city, I've found, and still it can be seven, eight turns before the locals stop yodelling.

Build a missionary if you have organised religion, that helps - in the absence of a GA of course.

Or Raze the effer, and hear the lamentations of their women!

I just lost a domination attempt at victory to Victoria who won with a space race, because all the cities I conquered had to wait 8 to 10 turns to come out of resistance. If I had destroyed those 6 cities and founded new ones, I would have won, I think since I lacked about less than 5 percent of land area needed. I plan on reloading, if there is an auto save back far enough and try that strategy. Does a Great Work by a Great Artist or does stationing 10 or more units in such resistant city help at all?

After Saddam won the 'Iraq' war the Americans are still kicking up a fuss several years on.....

Older than Dirt said:
Does a Great Work by a Great Artist or does stationing 10 or more units in such resistant city help at all?
I don't know about 10+ units, but a Great Work will shut "La Resistence" down and will expand the borders.

DarkSchneider said:
Seriously, what gives here, you'd think after 3 years of happy occupation that the rioters would just give up and let me build them theaters and marketplaces already.

Are any occupied countries really this stubborn?

Don't you think George W. is thinking the same thing right now? Unfortunately, you don't get to decide how long they fight you, "THEY" do.

:)

I have had no success with a Great Artist expanding the borders, even to just around the center city square, if the conquered city is near the core of a well developed civ in the modern era. I"ve had them remain "surrounded" until I captured or destroyed more cities nearby.

Consider some of the time spent in rebellion as actual civil unrest and the rest as the amount of time it takes to set up some semblance of effective governing (removing the old upper-class from power/buying them off/finding compotent leaders/effectively integrating the new peoples into your civic style/etc.). If you perceive it that way, it makes a lot more sense.

After the Spanish-American War, the United States spent three years rebuilding (and often building for the first time) Cuba and its infrastructure, and installed a new democratic/representative government, before (initially) setting the island nation free.

Unfortunately, Cuba wasn't prepared to run itself with such a government as it had, and the US had to make multiple return trips to keep it afloat before things really went awry and Castro happened.

I'd say it's a good idea to put as many units as is practical (given the whole war thing going on) in a city once you capture it, though--people will gladly resist something like a hostile foreign invasion for so long, their children's children will be taught to hate you with every fiber of their being.

Older than Dirt said:
I just lost a domination attempt at victory to Victoria who won with a space race, because all the cities I conquered had to wait 8 to 10 turns to come out of resistance. If I had destroyed those 6 cities and founded new ones, I would have won, I think since I lacked about less than 5 percent of land area needed. I plan on reloading, if there is an auto save back far enough and try that strategy. Does a Great Work by a Great Artist or does stationing 10 or more units in such resistant city help at all?
That still won't work because you have to control a tile for 20 turns before it counts towards the land controlled. You would have to go back at least 50 turns to capture the cities, quell the resistance and build up culture in the surrounding tiles.

20 turns? When I go into the victory conditions it shows a slight increase in the area controlled every time I conquer a city even though it is still in resistance.

By the way I last night I checked the newly conquered cities and I have 2 that started out with 12 years of resistance and several with 10. It seems the larger ones take much longer. The ones with 12 years of resistance were, I believe, size 19 or 20 or so before being conquered. I reloaded and sent a spy into sabbotage Victoria's secret thrusters and was successful, but won a diplomatic victory with all the population acquired with the recent conquests, thanks to the UN which Victoria built. I had 55+ percent of the land mass and over 60 percent of total population. $5900 is a lot to pay for sabbotage that is only about 50/50.

If you had conquered a city 20 turns prior to that, it would show an increase from that city, not the newly conquered one.

Older than Dirt said:
Does a Great Work by a Great Artist or does stationing 10 or more units in such resistant city help at all?
Great Artist will instantly end the resistance and give (IIRC) 3 border expansions and 80% of the way to a fourth. These border expansions, of course, don't do you much good if the enemy civ has been building up culture in the surrounding tiles for 400 turns, but I digress.

The only thing that dumping 10 units into a resisting city will do is keep it from being recaptured by the enemy.

Ranos said:
That still won't work because you have to control a tile for 20 turns before it counts towards the land controlled. You would have to go back at least 50 turns to capture the cities, quell the resistance and build up culture in the surrounding tiles.

I'm pretty sure that thats incorrect. As far as I know, you need to wait 20 turns for the land to count for your score, but for the purposes of precent of land controlled it counts immediantly.

Top Bottom