A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

I would love to try this mod, but I keep getting the dreaded "GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme." I have researched this issue and tried to fix it through changes such as making sure the folder name is identical, but I keep getting this message after repeated tries. I play a number of CIV 4 mods, but this is the first time I have encountered this problem. I have a 1060 GTX video card with current drivers and plenty of RAM with a Sandy Bridge processor (Win7), so it's not my hardware. I downloaded CIV 4 from disc and downloaded the BTS 3.19 years ago. I might be missing an obvious fix, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked out this thread? The first few suggestions don't seem to get anywhere but then it starts working for all the people having troubles by making changes to the civ 4 files and folders in their my documents area. Maybe there's something in that ini file (maybe caused by one of your other mods) that's just not agreeing with B5 Civ 4 as a fresh (as in registry, my docs, everything) install of Civ4-BTS and the civ 4 mod doesn't get that error. Only when they removed the ini file AND the mods folder in my documents civ 4 area did the game rebuild the new ini file in a way that stopped the error. Back up your entire my documents civ 4 area before trying anything though!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/gfc-error-failed-to-initalize-primary-control-theme.509184/

EDIT: Opps I didn't see PsiCorps post before posting this.

Many thanks to Psi Corps and Blake00 for responding. However, as I mentioned in my first post, I had already done extensive research on the GFC issue, including the suggested threads. None of the suggestions solved the problem. So, I tried one more thing. I reinstalled BTS and reinstalled the 3.19 patch. I did this on the hunch that B5 still was looking for the original FF mod (which I had discarded long ago in favor of the FFPlus mod). Sure enough, B5 is now loading! I look forward to playing it.

Hi all. What page should I address issues with this mod. I've been running Final Frontier for some time without problems. Since I installed Bab 5, I'm now having various issues. Thanks.

Hi all. What page should I address issues with this mod. I've been running Final Frontier for some time without problems. Since I installed Bab 5, I'm now having various issues. Thanks.

Yup you'll need to be more specific if you want help mate haha. If you're using the steam version make sure you use the registry fix (read the B5ModInstallGuide.pdf file I included in PsiCorps's mod) otherwise you'll see lots of weird issues with the B5 mod.

Could you elaborate on the issues you are having?
Hi. Thanks for getting back in touch. A couple things cropped up. The first is that previous settings (such those I had in force for FfH2) get wiped out, including screen resolution and other game settings. If I set them up in one, the other gets wiped out. I can't seem to retain both games' settings when switching mods. The second thing is that once in a while, I get a series of screen notifications about coding issues (failing routines). I'll try to get a screenshot if I see this again, and will post it here. These notifications stay on the screen regardless of what I do, unless I close the game and reload the saved file.

Other than this, I found that some of the Techs in the tree aren't available, cutting out all diplomacy and financials. I played the earth alliance IIRC. I'm assuming that part is still being designed (?) Ditto -- a lot of the civilopedia entries are missing. The mod suffers the same design issues as Final Frontier -- IMO. "Raiders" are a pain to deal with, and in a solo game, they quickly become the "only" active part of the game. Sorry -- I'm new with this mod and missed all of what had been discussed earlier in this forum. Thanks for the good work.

(Am I missing an update perhaps?)

Bab5Screenshot.png

if it helps when game start it show the error "error in finalfrontiergameutils callback handler calculatescore"
I have the gog version i try the clean install also....
if i try to run the mod b5 without the ff mod it crashes on load
its a shame because i really love this mod
its when i updated to b5 v3

if it helps when game start it show the error "error in finalfrontiergameutils callback handler calculatescore"

Oh is that all lol. Did you read the B5ModInstallGuide.pdf file that comes with the mod? That tells you how to get around that error. I also made an online version of it here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/babylon5mod-for-civ4/discussion/general/thread/fcf0efaa/

Although you're the first person with the GoG version to come along here so just use the steam install guide section and hopefully it will work for you too. As no doubt the GoG version doesn't put anything in the registry just like the Steam version and old mods like this one (originally built for the disc version) need those registry entries to work properly.

Let me know if it works and I'll update my install guides to say GoG as well as steam. If it doesn't work (eg GoG puts the game settings in some other bloody folder) then hopefully we can figure it out and then I'll write a separate different install guide for GoG people. :)

Last edited:
Urgh.. I just realised there's no way its going to work for you as your Civ4 BTS is not going to be installed in C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\

This line in the Registry fix file (included in the mod download) is going to need to be changed to wherever on earth GoG installed your Civ4 BTS.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\SteamApps\\common\\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\\Beyond the Sword"

Does GoG put Civ4 BTS in a set place (like steam does)? or do you get to choose what folder it installs to? If it's a set place then I can just make a separate registry fix file for GoG users but if you have free choice then I can't and I'll just have to tell people to edit the regfix file with notepad and change the folder to wherever on earth they chose to put the game lol.

in my case is :
C:\Civilization IV Complete\Civ4\Beyond the Sword
But i know most of gog games go to C:\GOG Games\Galactic Civilizations II for example
Anyway i really appreciate your help many thanks

i changed the regfile to
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Civilization IV Complete\\Civ4\\Beyond the Sword" but still the same error :rolleyes:

hmm.. well I feel like we're getting a bit closer to a solution haha.

Weird that you have 2 levels of Civ4 folders.

Can you please take a screenshot that replicate's this one from me below?

Basically go to your windows explorer, browse all the way into the Babylon 5 mod install folder, then click in the address bar to show the full address, take a screenshot (press print screen keyboard key), paste it into windows paintbrush, crop out whatever you don't want the world to see (as long as you leave the full address and contents of B5 mod folder visible) and then copy and paste the image into a post here (CivFinatics will let you paste the picture right inside the post here).

Hopefully it'll give away something that's wrong in the directory structure.

upload_2019-12-10_0-54-55.png

Top Bottom