1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A complete imbecile trying to change one thing.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Peng Qi, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Before I begin, the following information:

1. I have almost zero programming experience.
    2. I have almost zero modding experience.
    but
    3. I'm really good at following directions.
    also
    4. I looked for a tutorial on this, but failed to find one. This may be because I am dumb and not because one does not exist.

Alright, now for the one thing I want to change: I want to change some techs' placements on the tech tree. That's it. In short, I wanna mess with the Industrial and Modern tech trees. I imagine it would just be easiest to swap a few things around without changing requirements and the like, but I have no idea.

I am not asking for this to be done for me. Ideally, one of you can just link me to a tutorial on this that I was too dumb to find. If this does not exist, just pointing me at where to start my quest would probably be sufficient. I have the SDK downloaded and the like already, I just need to know the next step in the process and I hope I can figure out what to do from there (my hope is that all it will require is the changing of some values that are already present in tech entries in the code, but as I said I am an imbecile on this matter so I may have no idea what I'm in for).

EDIT: I figured out how to import CIV5Technologies.xml into a new mod. Now...I'm just confused as to how to change tech requirements, since I don't see a clear entry for it in the XML entries for the techs.

EDIT AGAIN: ...OK...uh...I guess I found everything now and my initial confusion was indeed me being kind of dumb. I think I've got everything under control now. Thanks for reading I guess? :D

2. manekk

manekk Chieftain

No problem. I can always help you with reading. Not with modding though (at least most of the time), as I have really limited knowledge on that. But if you write something interesting, you can count on me - I will read!

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor