A couple issues running in Win10 (Patching and Game Responding)

Sphynx87

Chieftain
Hey there, woke up and had the itch to play yesterday.

Originally tried using my MGE CD along with FoxAhead's Editbox Patcher and the UI Additions. The patcher would run fine but the UI additions kept saying I didn't have 5.4.0f, so I tried using the official updater but it just doesn't work for me in Win10. I run it and it pops up for a second and then the process is just in my task manager taking up memory and no CPU, the installer just never runs. Bummer because the UI additions seemed useful but not the end of the world.

Instead I used the method to upgrade the original 16 bit version of the game to MGE, got the Indeo video stuff working. Game works... for the most part. At the end of enemy turns when lots of enemies are visible the game window will stop responding and I can hear what is going on but I can't see it. Not the end of the world but it makes it harder to play. Saw a thread about it but no answers.

tl:dr
1) Is there a way to patch to 5.4.0f without using the installer?
2) Is there a way to fix the window not responding at the end of turns?

Thanks in advance.

At the end of enemy turns when lots of enemies are visible the game window will stop responding and I can hear what is going on but I can't see it. Not the end of the world but it makes it harder to play. Saw a thread about it but no answers
I can relate to that in civ2 ToTpp too.

Guess the issue is core then. :(

To define that, it usually happens in my case during AI turns when battle are involved, locking the frame displayed yet advancing the game with sounds still given.
It is resolved once a message frame is popped up (yet can happen again right after), in the end once we are to play our turn.

I first dismissed that considering a probable hardware issue with my laptop (win10 too), yet my brother with his gaming machine on win10 too met the same issue.

Are you experimentating that too @JPetroski, @Pablostuka , @Prof. Garfield ?

(I may launch a test on my old xp Tower and on my 8.1 tower to check this out ?)

Last edited:
2) Is there a way to fix the window not responding at the end of turns?
Just tested on my win10 laptop :
-playing with compatibility settings* set as "windowsXp sp3" seems to solve this issue yet makes the game muuuuuch sloooooweeeeeer.
-playing with compatibility settings* set as "windows 8" seems to solve this issue and keep correct performances.

*right click on civ2.exe, "compatibility", then "run this program..."

Top Bottom