A feature I liked about Civ3, gone.

ggganz

a.k.a. The Scyphozoa
I likes that buildings changed with each era. I mean can you see people still using Granary.JPG in 2000?

I see only Lighthouse changing with Industrial Era, but you are right, there should be other models for moderns eras.
(The Courthouse model seems to be modern, but you can get it in Ancient eras, this is just strange.)

This should be for some buildings. But the example of the courthouse is kind of flawed since most(atleast in America) courthouses are built to look like the old Roman style. Plus some buildings stopped being used after like 400AD(Aquaduct). But things like Lighthouse, Granuary, Barracks, ect. ect. need a few models to keep up with the times.

i liked it better when the leaderheads changed clothes with the era. renaissance lincoln and industrial gandhi were awesome!

I completely agree, gganz. From what I've been led to believe, the expansion is supposed to rectify the "oversight." Here's hoping...

naterator said:
i liked it better when the leaderheads changed clothes with the era. renaissance lincoln and industrial gandhi were awesome!

Completely agree. Historical purists might balk, but I always enjoyed the speculation on how leaders might look today (Joan of Arc's modern look was odd, but somehow fitting).

That's a pain about going 3D. Art assets take way longer to develop.

But some things you HAVE to do, to keep up with the times.

For many things, just the skin is needed, and this isn't so hard as 3D models to do.

Add me to the list of those who preferred the leaderheads changing with the era. As it is, Roosevelt and Mao look really out of place at the beginning of the game and the rest look really quaint at the end.

ggganz said:
Improvements change, like windmills and mines. Also, I liked the heads changing too, but now it's just the music.
but oddly enough, forts don't change anymore like they did in civ III! maybe firaxis acknowledged they're useless and nobody builds them so they figured no one would notice.
i turn the music off

moggydave said:
Yeh I liked the changing leaderheads.

Another building that seems silly is the colloseum, why don't they just call it a stadium?

The original name was colloseum. A stadium was originally a Greek measure of distance, later adopted by the Romans, equal to 606 feet 9 inches. Also called the Olympic Stadium because it was the distance of the foot races in the original Olympics. I'd guess that over time the name for race course came to be applied to the place where races, etc. were held because colloseums (There were more than one) were used for gladitorial games, staged battles and other "entertainment."

naterator said:
but oddly enough, forts don't change anymore like they did in civ III! maybe firaxis acknowledged they're useless and nobody builds them so they figured no one would notice.
I use them when building up stacks of units to attack my neighbor.

I would agree, sometimes it's the little things that can make a game great. I always enjoyed the colosseum image change to a stadium in Civ3. I think the aqueduct also changed to a pipe?

It's a simple little feature, but always made me smile.

Mr. Hyperbole said:
I completely agree, gganz. From what I've been led to believe, the expansion is supposed to rectify the "oversight." Here's hoping...

Completely agree. Historical purists might balk, but I always enjoyed the speculation on how leaders might look today (Joan of Arc's modern look was odd, but somehow fitting).

Joan of Arc was hott.

Changing buildings would be nice, but I can do without changing leaderheads. Just pick one style that the leader looks appropriate in and keep it. Army man Joan D' Arc looked kind of strange.

And I liked the changing Faces of the Diplomatic Advisor.

this is random
look on the tribal villages in the civlopedia
turn the village around and look at the skin

Top Bottom