[R&F] A few newbie questions

What is the general game plan or build order?
How many builders should I have built before Feudalism?
How much military should I have ideally build in the Early Game?
How many districts should be built before Feudalism?
How do you best handle the Turn 5 Forward Settle?
That all changes depending on circumstances, if you set yourself too many requirements you will suffer. 10 CPT is pretty hard to get by T25. It is a target, remember the advice is general and not for deity where the violence level is so high. The game is not just for deity and deity is quite a different game to Emperor or Prince.

@BarbarianHunter

What Mod are you playing with?
I watched a few mins of the Nubia game.
You have Corn, Apples and some other things I don't have in my game lol.
Perhaps I don't have Icons on in my game.
Comes with the "Resourceful 2" and "Resourceful 2 Tamed!" (which I am using). If you use a map size above Huge there aren't enough amenities. They're fun mods if you're in the mood for a change or are playing a very large map. I'd recommend the "Tamed" version. The straight one is a little over the top with some of the chops and yields IMO.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1369684991&searchtext=resourceful2
and
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1448253094&searchtext=resourceful2

Thank you once again.

I have spent the past couple of days trying to play France (Chieftain), but I cannot seem to get a remotely decent starting position. Sometimes I just get terrible maps (everyone gets the occasional bad map), but most of the time I am starting in extremely cramped positions. I do not mind one or two neighbours, but when there are 3-4 civs and 2-3 city states within 10 tiles of my capital, leaving me nowhere to build even a second city, I have zero interest in playing. Especially when one or more of them are aggressive civs with Ancient or Classical UUs that will crush me. I have lost count of the number of games I have quit because of this, but we are talking several hours over three days. I have tried Pangaea, Inland Sea, and Fractal; I have tried both balanced and standard starts. Google suggests this is a common complaint with CiVI and there is nothing I can really do about this. Is that still true, or out-of-date information and there is now a solution (eg mod, map settings, etc)?

Do not tear your way too far. Monuments are one of the very few ways to get culture. and you need culture....as much as you can get, epsecially eary. In fact I have a new couple of benchmarks I use on myself.... 7 cities by turn 70 and 10 culture per turn by turn 25. This second one is very important for getting political philosophy (government) by around T50

10 culture per turn by turn 25. I'm trying some Deity games to do this, but it's not working. Some games there is no culture tiles around and no culture City States. At turn 25 I'm usually with 5 culture per turn (+ or -). Here is an example. Could you give some tips to reach this value? What is your usual order in #1 city?

Attachments

• Deity.jpg
    Deity.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 153
10 culture per turn by turn 25. I'm trying some Deity games to do this, but it's not working. Some games there is no culture tiles around and no culture City States. At turn 25 I'm usually with 5 culture per turn (+ or -). Here is an example. Could you give some tips to reach this value? What is your usual order in #1 city?
@Falabello this is a target, it is certainly not often reachable but if you want to get to political philosophy by T50 it is a target, something to make you push for every piece of culture you can get. So do not be too hard on yourself. Deity in particular is difficult because you are facing many threats early.
So many people wonder when to build a monument, I tend to build it before a settler but after a builder amd consider buying a monument in my second city.
So then 2 cities with a monument is 4 and maybe 5 pop makes it 5.5 culture. You need to find another 3-4 culture which can be gained by

Chopping in more pop (+0.3 /pop)
Finding a culture CS first or getting it’s quest early enough or placing an envoy in one. (+2)
Sending a trade route to a culture CS (+1)
Natural wonders (+1 to +3) - settling these gives +3 era points too
Culture luxuries (+1 each)
Getting a pantheon that helps (+?)

So it can be done but is harder when you cannot find a culture CS
The point is to push it but 8CPT is pretty good, I would be happyish with that, 6 means you are lagging a bit... 5, could do better probably.
I published it because there is currently no yardstick, and that is all that it is.

The main thing on deity is to survive, that is more important.

2 cities with 2 monuments and an envoy at a culture CS gets you around 7-8. As long as you are getting great inspirations you will be fine. How people can think that 1 culture = 1 science at the beginning of the game stuns me. Science after T80, culture before.

@Victoria - Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:. I'll use it for a target: 10 cpt at turn 25. Like so much this idea.
So here's a new example: a standard ramdom Deity and was incredible! Only one inspiration and Political Philosophy at turn 44 :yup:. Nice.

Attachments

• 20190113182609_1.jpg
    20190113182609_1.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20190113185517_1.jpg
    20190113185517_1.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 197
@Victoria - Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:. I'll use it for a target: 10 cpt at turn 25. Like so much this idea.
So here's a new example: a standard ramdom Deity and was incredible! Only one inspiration and Political Philosophy at turn 44 :yup:. Nice.
Wow, 44 was pretty good, better than most of what I ever get.

Another one is trying to buy your first settler, this speeds things up hugely.. the trouble then is the decision... settler or monument.

Last edited:
44 was a great surprise. Didn't expect it. Even without inspirations (only Pol. Philo.). I was very lucky with 2 first culture CS (and more 2).

But interesting: I went for Scout and Settler. So no Builder and no 3 improved tiles...
There's no time to a District. Also there's no time to grow to Pop 6 (don't know yet if it's possible with good food?). Second continent very possible... 3 City-States also possible... Scout is important to find City States and Good Huts...
Settler or Monument. With Builder and selling resources it is a good idea to try to buy a Settler and you gain 3 improved tiles...

I'm excited with this strategy: 10cpt at Turn 25. I was very lazy to play, but it gave me a new breath. Wow, so may decisions. The better is: just open a random map and play till turn 25. Then, do it again and again... What about Rome? Having time, I'll play some games and study what will be the average for Turn 25 and Political Philosophy!

Wow, so may decisions
This game is so full of them. The amazing thing is when you come down from deity the flexibility in your game just goes through the roof.
Then, do it again and again.
Yup, works better than looking at pro's... you may even find things out they could be taught
Watch some pro-players on youtube that helped me (i was also a newbie :) )
@Falabello is by no means a noob. He has been doing some good GOTM's for many months.

Which Pros?
Name and or Link please.

The amazing thing is when you come down from deity the flexibility in your game just goes through the roof.

No stress though.
Sort of like playing in a sandbox.
Without the stress I lose the enjoyment.
Personal Preference though and not the majority of thinking.

Last edited:
@Falabello is by no means a noob. He has been doing some good GOTM's for many months.

@Kippiis - I think you didn't understanding me. What was I talking wiht him it's a new strategy not understood by the others (including good players).... Culture is the way to win at Deity! When he (@Victoria) established this target, this was made for a giant and (one of the best) :worship: Pro-Player... By the way, with this new strategy (@Victoria called it Target, I'll called new strategy), things will be different...

@Victoria: in my #1 attempt with Rome: 2 cities and 46 turn PP.... Any tips to improve it? As you see, a poor map and no CS culture... 10 culture per turn at Turn 25 is always a challenge. I suppose they all Pro-players have some tips...

@Kippiis - I can't consider myself a Pro-player, but I'm close with this new strategy...

Attachments

• Deity #1 - Turn 25.jpg
    Deity #1 - Turn 25.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Deity #1 - Turn 46.jpg
    Deity #1 - Turn 46.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 153
Top Bottom