A Full Earth Map, With Areas "Resized" To Maximize Game Play

I already understand a lot of the theoretical ideas being posted regarding the overall map. Having those reiterated or expanded at this point does not help me get the map making started. It's exactly like distracting a runner in the starting blocks by trying to talk to him about shoe design. Wrong focus, wrong time.

Talking about specifics of what to do with smaller regional features is completely distracting at this point. It's like telling the relay runner waiting for the starting gun how you want him to retie his shoelaces after the first lap. Wrong time, wrong focus.

All of us who have devoted ourselves to C3 C&C are very good at producing something worth showing whoever we're making it for once we have the appropriate guidelines.

K.I.S.S.

I think you'll be surprised how quickly there's a roughed-out map and biq for all of us to work with once I have these very few clear-cut answers.

:worship: ( :goodjob:)

@Ozymandias
BONUS QUESTION (inspired by Vuldacon's post)

What are we making this map for?

(C) as a general purpose map for use by the whole C&C community in a variety of scenarios ...

... Should post a poll about actual interest in this? (also to @Vuldacon )

Well, I hope this is NOT getting"out of hand" in all that is intended and needed to understand what you want here.

Ozy, I expect you to understand that "we" would all help YOU to make anything you want to create. I cannot think of a more deserving individual I would Gladly help to reach a personal Goal.

IF all you want is a New Game Map, so be it but I suspect there is more desired here. Just say the word.

Well, I hope this is NOT getting"out of hand" in all that is intended and needed to understand what you want here.

Ozy, I expect you to understand that "we" would all help YOU to make anything you want to create. I cannot think of a more deserving individual I would Gladly help to reach a personal Goal.

IF all you want is a New Game Map, so be it but I suspect there is more desired here. Just say the word.

You cannot begin to imagine how touched I am.

in the razearth map the Arab peninsula is massively overspaced.

Kirejara = Jatibi ?

I do not know who or what Jatibi is. :blush:

If it is a person than: No.

Kirejara was a mythological god/goddess (no gender) mentioned in an old Star Trek novel.

Otherwise send me a PN or Email. ;)

Sorry for OT!

There is an old earth map by the user TheRaz that has its continent sizes warped according to their importance.

Even with 31 Civs everyone has the same, if somewhat limited room to expand.

Unfortunately the map is only 100x100 fields large (or small?), but may be one can use it as inspiration for an enlarged version.

in the razearth map the Arab peninsula is massively overspaced.

TY, Kirejara! It's always good to see a similar effort, and observe what's been done well, and what can be improved upon. I just looked at it with my, "game play" hat on, and immediately noted that Civinator is quite correct about the Arabian Peninsula. Ditto (IMHO) SE Asia, and Africa. Likewise, "trimming" the Arctic.

I am not (in case you hadn't noticed) not very "visually oriented" (I am almost purely a creature of words - in short a "double" TY :)

I do not know who or what Jatibi is. :blush:

If it is a person than: No.

Kirejara was a mythological god/goddess (no gender) mentioned in an old Star Trek novel.

Otherwise send me a PN or Email. ;)

Sorry for OT!

Kirejara, Jatibi was a former very helpful and ambitious German Civ 3 modder, who posted in the razearth thread.

Thank You! The penny has finally dropped (I really hope that this saying makes sense in english language)!

No, I am not him/her either. ;)

I'll likely start work on the various chunks Monday after some patio gardening gets me in the mood to sit down.

For the time being I'll be working towards a generic biq that others can adapt to their scenario preferences - including some impassable mountains and perhaps other limited terrain. After that if there's enough of a consensus I can work on something more specific.

I'd love to contribute to a map ( & some terrain) to a group effort on Terra Fantasia. ;)

Oops I forgot one. Or maybe it's a pop quiz ...

Is the coastal dividing line between China & Steppes the straits between Hokaido & Sakhalin ?
( ) Yes ( ) No

Yes. I believe hat works perfectly well. :)

EUROPE

Where is the Eastern boundary of the Europe chunk?
I can think of two possibilities that might make sense for our purposes.
  • The first possibility is a north-south line along the eastern edge of Scandinavia ( roughly the eastern frontier of Finland) down to the area on the eastern shores of the Black Sea.
  • The second possibility is a north-south line from the Urals down to the Caspian Sea.

I propose to make the border along the Ural Mountains and further to the Caspian Sea. Beyond the Urals, the density of cities is much less. Most of the Russian history will take place in an enlarged segment, which, in my opinion, is good.

Does a sea passage need to be retained all the way across the northern coast of Steppes?

In my opinion, the sea passage (the Northern Sea Route) should be left. Or leave the option to do it later with minimal editing of the map. To ensure that it is not available too early, you can use the ocean as a coastal tile

I propose to make the border along the Ural Mountains and further to the Caspian Sea. Beyond the Urals, the density of cities is much less. Most of the Russian history will take place in an enlarged segment, which, in my opinion, is good.

I completely agree. :yup:

In my opinion, the sea passage (the Northern Sea Route) should be left. Or leave the option to do it later with minimal editing of the map. To ensure that it is not available too early, you can use the ocean as a coastal tile

Even with the deepwater harbor function of the Quintillus editor, ocean terrain cannot be set as coastal terrain, only sea terrain.

For Ozy's requested design the Scandanavia/Black Sea frontier for Europe actually makes more sense. The Urals will basically be as long North-South as the shrinkage of Steppes allow, rather than being enlarged along with the whole of Europe. The regions between the Europe chunk & the Urals will still be relatively large since it's where the scaling blends up to match Europe. Most of the elided area of Steppes will be the regions North of India and adjacent to China.

@Ozymandias

I'm already starting some preliminary work.

One last question based on previous answers:

Since the Arabian Peninsula is not part of the African chunk is it part of ...
( ) Europe (via Anatolia) and thus with part of it scaled up to 200%
( ) India and thus with part of it scaled up to 200 %
( ) Steppes (with which it might - at a stretch - be considered to share one single miniscule point of geographical contact at Southern coast of Caspian Sea although geographically they are separated by the Western part of the India chunk)

The answer to this one involves three of the five Eurasian chunks, making it a key decision for the rescaling and realignments of adjoining chunks.

I'm gonna go full blown Zen on you neither: the Arabian Peninsula is simply "there," with size set strictly to maximize play, a propos overall game play, specifically regarding how accessible sea transit should be from India to East Africa / Suez.

- :Dm

Top Bottom