megabearsfan

Prince
I've posted a new strategy guide for for Ba Trieu of Veitnam, from the New Frontiers DLC pass. The guide is available on my blog at:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2021/02/26/Civilization-VI-strategy-Ba-Trieu-of-Vietnam.aspx

Here's a few highlights from the full guide:
A sort-of undocumented feature of Vietnam's Nine Dragon River Delta ability is that when you built a speciality district on woods, rainforest, or marshes, the underlying feature is not destroyed. This means that these tiles continue to count as rough terrain for combat and defensive bonuses, and towards Ba Trieu's unit bonuses for starting or fighting in these terrain features. It also benefits Campus, Holy Site, and (indirectly) Theater Square and Thanh districts, since you can get extra adjacency bonus from building districts in clusters without having to chop down the underlying feature(s).

For example, a Campus built between 2 rainforests get +1 science from terrain adjacency. If you build a Government Plaza and Theater next to the Campus, that's an additional +1 from the Gov Plaza, and another +1 from the two adjacent districts, for a total of +3 science.

You might initially think that Vietnam should avoid chopping woods, rainforest, and marsh so that you can build districts and get the bonuses to your units, but this isn't necessarily the case. With the ability to plant woods coming so early (Medieval Faires civic), you can chop features early for the yield, then re-plant the woods to build districts or lumber mills.

While Vietnam looks like it is designed to be a defensive civilization on paper, its military powers make it a powerful offensive force. The movement and combat strength bonuses may be less powerful outside of Vietnamese territory, but they are still strong bonuses. The Voi Chien unique unit is particularly dominant in my experience. The ability to move after attacking, combined with the increased movement speed and bonus movement for starting in woods, rainforest, or marsh, means that it can easily move in, attack, and then retreat back to the safety of the jungles with the opponent having little opportunity for reprisal.

The Voi Chien is also a surprisingly good siege weapon. Being able to bombard a city and then move out of range before the city can counter-strike gives the Voi Chien a distinct advantage compared to a catapult. It won't do as much damage in a single strike, but it also won't lose a third to a half of its HP in a single ranged strike from the city, then have to retreat to heal and be out of the siege. Voi Chien will likely also get promotions quickly, meaning they can get the promotion that allows them to attack twice per turn.

The full guide also includes tips for playing against Vietnam, based on my best understanding of how Bà Triệu's agenda works.

I welcome any feedback, and hope to hear others share their tips and strategies with this leader.

Happy Civ-ing!

Really good stuff! Thanks! They've been a favorite of mine. I love being able to plop down districts on woods/rainforest/marsh. I love the cheap early Thánh (even the noise they make when placed). Voi chiến are so cool. I ran across them in a game soon after Vietnam came out and they were so devastating I had to try them out. Also love the sound they make. I really love civ 6 sounds what can I say. One tip I would have is they are so strong at domination and the Voi chiến, while powerful, need good timing like any unit, and that's fairly early with them (at least for me, I tend to rush that bottom part of the tech tree). So one mistake I made recently was trying to build out my cities and waiting too long to get to war. I now scout and find the first civ I want to take and settle a city close to it as a base to go to war from. Anyways, thanks for the guide! Good stuff!

Top Bottom