A New Mod In Progress: Help Needed

Originally posted by Bobby Lee

sounds good, a wonder that produces a worker every so often... say sumwhere between 20 and 40 turns... but decreases happiness...although we could also do it ur way and make it an improvement showing that different provinces may support it and others may not.... actually option two looks better now that i think about it...

as to the walls...hrmm makes since... or maybe we could institute as a wall essentially but call it a fortress or sumthing to that affect...essentially it would be a fort near or in the city that would be the hold out for the defenders... ur reasoning is pretty good here so i may just go along with u...
Instead of less happines, less culture

I think in addition to ur improvements and wonders u listed we will also keep several of the current ones around...though possibly with different names...for example Barracks changed to "training center" or sumthin like that

a few thoughts:

-im not sure wut cloning does for us
-underground train? elaborate... maybe u are thinking of an improvement?
-ur techs are looking good... in my next post i have a few base ones i thought of...
-obviously we will have to refine these thoughts... as we move along we might want to write down wut everything does here as well

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
It's 'monastery', 'palisade' and 'siege equipment'. 'Ziggurat' is indeed one of the accepted spellings.

Is 'Crime and Punishment' as a tech name a deliberate reference? Pretty good, at any rate. What's it supposed to allow.

Paper Making as a wonder? Does sound like a tech.

Universal Burial? What's that sposta be?

Underground Train sounds more like an improvement to me. What's sposta do?

-

My question re: flavour units was because it opens for easily including units with pretty much the same tactical role, like slingers and javelineers - just give them to different civs.

-

And perhaps I can trick you to include one of my fave ideas for Civ - gunpowder infantry with decent attack values. The scheme in unmodded CivIII, in which all such units, with the marginal exception of Guerillas, are purely defensive, which is flatly unhistorical. In western warfare, infantry was the main attacking force from the later medieval period till well into the 20th C.
Oaky so i cant spel wel at al kil me.
Paper does sound like a tech i guess.
About UB, in ceremonial burial only high officials were buried. Universal Burial is when everyone was.
Underground Train adds commerse, less polution.

Heres sum ideas for the base techs at the very bottom of the tech tree...

organized war
pottery
alphabet
masonry
specialization
religion
city state
fishing (need different name...im talking like fishing in boats)

after those here a few more farther along...

writing
city building???
Empire
Oligarchy
Early Republic
military organization
literature

and here are sum scattered throughout the rest of the tech tree..

iron working
fuedalism
Checks and Balances (gov tech for modern US Republic)
Gravity
Scientific Method
Reformatism (essentially reforming the churchs...comes from the reformation)
explosives
gunpowder
fortification
trench warfare
Castle Building
Archery
Sea Trade
Commercial Shipping
Communism
Espionage
Faschism
Parliamentary Government
Monarchy
Imperialism
Rifling
Handguns
Armored Warfare
Blitzkrieg
Flight
Aerodynamics
Jet Propulsion
Rockets
Breach Loaders (refering to the revolution of weapons from muzzleloading to breach loading)
Napoleonic Tactics
The Chariot
Cavalry
sailing
seafaring
Naval Warfare
Naval Tactics

obviously this is not really a coherent idea yet... there are things that need to be added and such

units wise im still thinking...

i know i want at least one unit in every era from the classical age up that can attack like marines... i never liked that because on civ scale every unit has time to land and set up ...

a few ideas of units i already have...

Napoleonic Infantry
Napoleonic Guards
Napoleonic Cavalry
Arquebusiers (misspelled im sure)
Knights (though in various forms as i said before)
Pikemen
Medieval Levies
Medieval Infantry
Dark Age Infantry
Kataphraktos (i think i spelled it right...mostly Byzantine in implementation...i think)
frigates
Ship of the line
Man-O-War
Catapults
Ballista
Trebuchet
mangonel (not sure i want this one...not sure how to implement)
bombard
early cannon
cannon
bronze cannon
Rifled artillery
Field Artillery
Heavy Artillery
Fixxed artillery
MLRS
Modern Artillery
gas
ICBM
tactical nuke
submarine
u-boat
nuclear sub
diesel sub
modern sub
Carrier I
Carrier II
Carrier III ?? (maybe i only want two carriers)
Destroyer
Crusier
Battleship
Dreadnought
ironclad
stormtroopers (not from star wars** lol, like the German ones in WWI)
Tanks (separated into separate countries)
Tanks II (WWII models essentially...again separated into the main models)
Cold War Tanks(this time with just US and Russian models...or maybe give a few other countries thier own and make all those with no tank model of thier own have a generic Cold War Tank but with a 1 pt penalty cause they bought thier tanks?)
Modern Armor (yet again of the main models such as M1A2, Challenger (british one?), Merkava, Leopard...and so on)

i realize this...thus y i ask for help...well that and im not that good at moding on my own...

Originally posted by The Last Conformist

My question re: flavour units was because it opens for easily including units with pretty much the same tactical role, like slingers and javelineers - just give them to different civs.

-

And perhaps I can trick you to include one of my fave ideas for Civ - gunpowder infantry with decent attack values. The scheme in unmodded CivIII, in which all such units, with the marginal exception of Guerillas, are purely defensive, which is flatly unhistorical. In western warfare, infantry was the main attacking force from the later medieval period till well into the 20th C.

for units --- u mean like that...yes prolly right off the bat we will have to...difficult to keep things accurate enough without it....

as to ur infantry thought- actually it drives me up the wall also that infantry never attack...that cavalry always attacks in the later ages...that is incredible BS after about the revolution cavalry became essentially scouts...they could attack infantry that would break easily or was out of formation as dragoons that is...once they got guns they became effective as raiders and short term defense...in western warfare infantry has ALWAYS been the major force both attacking and defending...even in the days of the knights the knights werent the only ones attacking...little known fact but pikes are just as effective (if trained decently) attacking as defending...the early gunpowder infantry was used in combination with pikes to defend and attack and then later on was the only serious attacker by the US civil war infantry was the ONLY real attacker because the cavalry couldnt cut it unless dismounted (and even then they werent very good)
i guess im preaching to the chior though...

no my plan is for all eras to have infantry have the same defense and attacking stats and cavalry will lost thier attacking stats gradually after knights(though earlier eras will have cavalry attackers also) basically the idea being to force the player to have infantry armies (or if ur middle eastern u get light infantry and cavalry or sumthin...have to work on that military philosophy) and use artillery in support...basically following the British thought before WWI that Artillery conquers and infantry occupies...not a good theory but one that works well for civ...once armor comes into play i want to use them as BIG attackers...less defense meaning YOU HAVE TO HAVE INFANTRY with ur armor or ur armor will be slaughtered..then u get anti tank which will essentially be a defensive bombard that is big enough to hurt the tank so bad it is inneffective (not sure about anti tank yet though)...

The Simplified military plan...

Infantry is main military with cavalry as support
Artillery (and air once u get there) conquers Infantry occupies (this means no lethal bombard)
Armor acts as a nearly unstoppable attacker but useless defender except in combination with infantry (armor gets nasty defensive bombard)

Originally posted by kulade
I'll start writing civiopedia entries, all forty-nine of them...

dont worry...theres more...but look on the bright side... im extremely appreciative of all help :)

I could place cities and create/place resources.
also it would be easy to find pediaicons pics for whatever U need.
I can quickly create and organize resources, but probably not their graphics, that's gogf's job.
What do you say?

Hey, Bobby Lee, this sounds real interesting. I would be interested in historical advising. The tech tree stuff sounds interesting, but I'm not really good at making them. I could historically advise that too though. That is, if this is all right with you. Your mod just sounds cool and I would like to be a part of it.

Two Questions:
Will you be changing/ modifying any civs in any way?
and
Will there be a map for this mod?

I can add units so call me when you start adding units. I can do most editor jobs but I can not add techs, so sorry I can not help with that:( I am good at everything else though:)

btw I have been watching this thread since the start and you have caught my attention and that is saying something;)

Originally posted by Bobisback
I can add units so call me when you start adding units. I can do most editor jobs but I can not add techs, so sorry I can not help with that:( I am good at everything else though:)
Could you find or make unit graphics for us?

Originally posted by RedAlert
Hey, Bobby Lee, this sounds real interesting. I would be interested in historical advising. The tech tree stuff sounds interesting, but I'm not really good at making them. I could historically advise that too though. That is, if this is all right with you. Your mod just sounds cool and I would like to be a part of it.

Two Questions:
and
If i was bobby, which im not, id make the scienario on a world map, then make a no map mod. I think...

Could you find or make unit graphics for us?

That was fast :eek: I can find units but can not make units:(

That was fast :eek: I can find units but can not make units:(
Go ahead, when you find one post a link to the thread, or at least tell us which one.

Go ahead, when you find one post a link to the thread, or at least tell us which one.

are you talking about the units in the "official post" you posted;)

btw I am about to go to bed I will get on it in the morning.

Originally posted by Bóreas
I could place cities and create/place resources.
also it would be easy to find pediaicons pics for whatever U need.
I can quickly create and organize resources, but probably not their graphics, that's gogf's job.
What do you say?

that works...i dont think Gogf will mind at all...

this is a mod though so i dont need placement of anything but i do think that your help organizeing resources and helping with pediaicons pics will be be very helpful...ill add u to the list :)

Originally posted by RedAlert

Two Questions:
and

sure, ill put u down under historical advisement

i hadnt thought about modding the civs but not a bad thought...if u have any ideas go right ahead and throw em out there...if i like im sure we'll implement if not... well if theres enough demand we'll do two versions

seems maps are a popular demand...perhaps we'll have to do a version with a world map as well...originally i had intended to just do a mod but seems alot like this idea

btw I have been watching this thread since the start and you have caught my attention and that is saying something;)

Welcome to the team then! lol...U are one of the key positions i have been really waiting on... u are my first units man then ...and a text person?? you are definately on the team

Thanks! I appreciate that.... :)

Top Bottom