A New Video Card

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
Hello?:D
I was wondering what you guys think I should get for my new video card.
I have a Dell Dimension 4600, year 2003.
Currently, I can run my 2 games, Call of Duty 2 and Civ 4 okay, but very borderline.
What do you guys reccomend I should get?
It should be able to run both Civ 4 and Call of Duty 2 and in the future, Star Wars:Empire at War.

Two pertinent questions before we can help you:
What's your budget?
What slot do you have available? I'd guess AGP (if any), but have to be sure...

I have $255 but I only want to spend at the max $100.
I have no idea about the slot. Probably an APG.

lso check your PSU
Almost any new card requires a good solid 350w PSU now days
Even those in the $100us range

I would recommend paying a little more and get a 6600GT (If you dont intend to OC the card) Which is about $140us

Although it is not necessary, it would help if you listed some more specific technical aspects of your computer because a 4600 Dell model number can come in several different flavors. Dell is known for customization and not everyones' 4600 is configured the same way.
How many megabytes (MB) of Ram does it have?
What is the processor speed in gigahertz (Ghz)?
What is the model number of the Intel motherboard?
These things might not be critical to deciding the proper video card in the right price range, but these facts could lead us to determine if you have an AGP or PCI Express video card slot.

being from 2003, it probably does have a APG slot, since PCI-e was not around then.
do you even have a video card now? do you have on-board video? one thing Dell does is serverly limit the options their computers have to screw their buyers out of more money, forcing them to upgrade to a diffrent model.
i do believe the 4600's had a APG slot, but if your currently using onboard video, you might be SOL, and just have a PCI slot to work with. Call Dell, they should be able to answer your questions better than i could. I do not think they have this feature on their newer models, but ont heir older ones, you'd void the warrenty if you opened the case.

Never buy a Dell unless you're wanting to use it only as a shiney typing machine. I'm sorry to say it, but I doubt you're going to get good results trying to upgrade a dell.

Speedo said:
A 4600 does have an AGP slot: http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_4600/4507-3118_7-30529709.html

A GF6600GT would probably be your best option, but that 250W will be borderline for it (or any other card worth getting).

thats what i thought. you should be able to use a 6600GT

logical_psycho said:
Never buy a Dell unless you're wanting to use it only as a shiney typing machine. I'm sorry to say it, but I doubt you're going to get good results trying to upgrade a dell.

thats incorrect. he will get a preformance increase. its true Dell are Nazi's in the sence they try lock up their computers, and try to screw you into paying more money for sometihng like a video card, or more than a gig of ram, or a better CPU, but Dell's are still just computers. upgrading to a Geforce 6600GT will be a great move. I ordered one for my Dell. Can't wate to get it, and I know lots of people who have Dellsm and have upgraded them. Dell does not place any limitations on what you can do to the computer

thats what i thought. you should be able to use a 6600GT

Maybe not, if the case won't take a full-height card.

Either way, no dice if the comp does have a 250W PSU. The minimum for a GF6600GT is 350W.

Dell does not place any limitations on what you can do to the computer

Incorrect. Dell (and to be fair, all of the other major OEM's) often use proprietary components, especially motherboards and PSU's. You'll also find on many machines that the PSU has no additional connectors for anything- only enough to connect the default hardware- and that its output is just adequate to handle the default hardware. I've also encountered Dells in particular that required the memory to use proprietary chips, so the comp won't take the average memory you get from Newegg, or that's sitting on the shelf in Best Buy or whatever; not to mention that you pay about 4x what that memory is really worth.

AlCosta15 said:
I have a video card, but it's called the "Low Profile."

Low Profile ????
The only low profile cards are the 5200/6200/300se cards

Be VERY careful if you buy a new PSU for a DELL machine. The PSU to MoBo connection is WIRED DIFFERENTLY to the ATX 2 standard. Make sure your new PSU is Dell compliant or you will fry your MoBo.

i think you misunderstood what i meant Speedo when i said Dell does not place any limitations on your pc on what you can do. no biggie. i meant warrenty wise. if you decided to upgrade the video card, or install a new hard drive, it will not void your warrenty. thats what i meant.
it does suck dell uses a lot of non-propritory hardware, but they aren't that bad. however, you can still build a far better system than a dell yourself. i find mine works just find for what i use it for.

Top Bottom