A question about AI and subs

Zefyrinus

Regent
I had parked a submarine in this narrow channel, when suddenly one of the AIs came with pile of ships, I think it was one galleon and three destoyers or something like that. So the only way through the bay was blocked by submarine, so they attacked it causing a war.

I know that the AI knows where every unit is, but I'm wondering if it might be so that they somehow can't see the submarines, since they're submerged, even though they "know" where they are, and that they attacked it by mistake since it happened to be in the way. It didn't seem like they had been preparing for a war.

I think a similar thing has happened to me before. So, is it unsafe block sea routes with submarines, if you don't want to have war?

If the AI comes across one of your subs, it will ALWAYS declare war and attack. Thats the bug.

If the AI comes across one of your subs, it will ALWAYS declare war and attack. Thats the bug.

Just to be clear, though, the AI doesn't go looking for your subs. It is programmed to ignore them, but it can't enter the same square without attacking, so whenever they randomly run into a sub, they attack it, regardless of the consequences. It took me a long time to figure out what the heck was going on. I wish I'd found this site, first.

The sub bug can be a pain, but it can be used to get someone to declare war, giving war happiness. Or if you are in an mpp, someone wo runs into your sub suddenly gains some new enemies

The sub bug can be a pain, but it can be used to get someone to declare war, giving war happiness. Or if you are in an mpp, someone wo runs into your sub suddenly gains some new enemies

You never miss a trick do you? I wish I had half of your guile :lol:

The galling thing about the Sub Bug is that it was fixed for PTW and re-introduced into C3C.

Hmmm... I never saw it in Vanilla. I remember surrounding an AIs ship with subs to get them to declare war, and it wouldn't move!

But then again, I play the Mac version. Maybe it was fixed it that version and was introduced in Complete.

Well, when I said "PTW", I really meant "PTW and vanilla" (I'm not sure exactly when it was patched out).

It was indeed fixed in vanilla. Hardly matters... regular subs are useless and nuke subs are only useful for toting tac nukes and seeing other subs before AEGIS cruisers are available.

Subs are like carriers as described in that other thread - useless, but the look and concept is cool. It almost makes me want to become a modder to change them and make them useful.

But I don't really want to get Windows, so it isn't worth the trouble. :lol:

subs do seem to me to have almost no use in the game...subs defiantly do play a major part in naval operations as support for every naval ship...
is there a mod somewhere that kinda makes them better?

Usually, I eat my subs. Well, thats a different story. I dont think they have alot of uses, i use it against anything Ironclad or smaller. So there isnt a big use for it when your able to build them.

i mod for my own uses, and i tried making them bombard. cuz thats what they did right? it went well untill the AIs started bombarding my cities with them :lol:

My mods make them faster, more powerful and more diverse (more types)

can't believe yall find subs so useless. There'e great for attacking transports and skipping over the GIANT stacks over it (Especially in harder lvls)

EDIT: But then again, I'm a purely seafaring player so I guess I think differently than the rest of you :lol:

can't believe yall find subs so useless. There'e great for attacking transports and skipping over the GIANT stacks over it (Especially in harder lvls)

EDIT: But then again, I'm a purely seafaring player so I guess I think differently than the rest of you :lol:

i love subs, they are really useful

well... when you don't build a large navy at all, what is the point in trying to defeat the AIs navy. Their navy isn't doing anything to you, for the most part.

bringing in Air units and airlifting units is the way to go for me

Top Bottom