A Sultanic Thread - Term II

As long as there is no threat of invasion necesitating rapid deployment of troops on our island, then 24 turns to railroad is fine. The extra citizens now can add to our economy. However, this could change if we need more railroads in a hurry, but I still can't see 7 turns more to railroad making a difference.

We still can be completely safe until somebody has Flight or Marines. Even then, we won't need to have every tile railroaded - just a rail network to get whatever we need to go.

By my count, all of our halfway decent cities can reach 12 citizens:

I haven't actually counted food per city, but I assume food won't be a problem once we are railed. Short-term, we may not be able to feed all of our new citizens if we tried to add them all at once, but we just won't add what we can't feed.

Sorry I brought up workers in the Council diplomacy thread since the discussion really belongs here...

After some thought, I think I am leaning toward continuing to add workers to cities as soon as we have enough food/happiness for them. Looking at the rate we are building workers and the rate we could possibly add them, we should never drop below 30 industrious workers at any point (and will usually have more). Even if we trade all 30 for slaves post-Replaceable Parts, those 30 slaves are apparently the equivalent of 30 industrious natives pre-Replaceable Parts.

Even including all the chopping/mining and mining irrigation we will want to do, I wouldn't expect it to take more than about 30 turns until we run out of work to do (except for pollution) with 30 workers. I think that will be sufficiently quick, and we can help give our economy another extra jump now with the extra citizens.

Any contrary opinions?

As far as I'm concerned, we're still mostly in a tech race, not a production race. So I'm leaning towards adding early (for more commerce) instead of adding later (for more production).

We can probably keep our workers busy with forestry operations (plant, chop & mine/irrigate) while they are waiting to play pollution whack-a-mole.

I guess the question, is what should they be chopping to speed along?

As I mentioned in the Council diplomacy thread, it is getting difficult to find tasks for all our workers. I've been planting and chopping forests, but there are not that many shield forests left, and they are not necessary in spots where 10 shields will speed up a build.

What about fortresses/barricades? Do they destroy the tile's mine/irrigation? If not, then maybe we should use our workers to start building them. I don't think we want them on the coast necessarily because we won't keep up a blockade forever, and we certainly don't want to let our enemies make a landing on a barricade, but maybe around our core towns as in this picture:

My main concern is that someone can capture a coastal town with bombers/marines, unload units in there and then attack our empty or lightly defended interior towns the same turn. A barricade will force the enemy to stop and wait 1 turn, and we get a chance to counterattack before we lose too much.

It would take forever to build the entire barricade I have marked, but I suppose there is a chance that we can barricade enough tiles, and the enemy happens to approach from that direction. Of course, this is a terrible idea if it destroys the current improvements.

Thoughts?

As far as I know, a barricade doesn't destroy improvements. But it's something I'd want to test, just to be sure.

Wow, I never thought of that before. Cool idea. I am almost sure they don't affect other improvements, but Bart's right, lets test it first. I like the idea of a second ring defense around the core, especially with rails all over our island.

I hate when the enemy gets past the front, if they get undefended towns it's like a zipper and they can rip through to the capital in one turn.

Although, I doubt anyone would research Advanced Flight, we would be providing paratroopers with a 'safe spot' to land unless we occupy the forts.

Also I thought it was the barricades that ate up the movement allowance, not the fortress, so we'd have to build a fort and add a barricade (this eats a worker) to prevent the "blitzkrieg effect" Marsden spoke of.

On the other hand, what else is there for the workers to do while waiting for pollution to appear.

My main concern is that someone can capture a coastal town with bombers/marines, unload units in there and then attack our empty or lightly defended interior towns the same turn. A barricade will force the enemy to stop and wait 1 turn, and we get a chance to counterattack before we lose too much.
Thoughts?

Is it somehow possible to land troops and attack with them the SAME turn? Always when I landed troops anywhere, they lost their movement for that turn.

Or am I misunderstanding something :confused:

Is it somehow possible to land troops and attack with them the SAME turn? Always when I landed troops anywhere, they lost their movement for that turn.

Or am I misunderstanding something

What Chamnix is discussing is taking an opponent taking a coastal city with marines, then moving transports into the city and spreading out like locusts with tanks and cavalry before we have a chance to react to the invasion. That can all be done in a single turn.

If you capture a coastal town you can then move in a transport and unload troops; they will have full movement points.

cross post :D

Although, I doubt anyone would research Advanced Flight, we would be providing paratroopers with a 'safe spot' to land unless we occupy the forts.

Also I thought it was the barricades that ate up the movement allowance, not the fortress, so we'd have to build a fort and add a barricade (this eats a worker) to prevent the "blitzkrieg effect" Marsden spoke of.

On the other hand, what else is there for the workers to do while waiting for pollution to appear.

The barricade is just more worker turns, no worker are used up, that's outposts and airfields that use them up.

I built one SE of Baldric, no affect on the mine or irrigation status. And it used a lot less worker turns than I thought, probably because of Rep. parts and industrious.

Thanks for taking care of that Marsden :salute:.

Also sent Rubber to Council. Why are they Furious with us?

I think they became furious when we swapped workers with them - I guess they don't like their people being enslaved even if they were the ones who sold them into slavery.

Not really! But I can name anything I like. If we go through with the line then it won't stand out, but if not it will be something of a landmark. I think we can all have our own castle.

Top Bottom