News: TSG_220 Announcement

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 220
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 220th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.
TSG220 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Maria Theresa - Austria
Victory Condition: Domination
(but all VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: Deity
Map Type/Size: Fractal/Standard
(8 Civs, 16 City-States)
Pace: Standard
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Diplomatic Marriage:
If a City-State is allied to you and has been for 5 consecutive turns, you may spend gold to annex or puppet it into your empire.
UB: Coffee House (Windmill): Production bonus +2 hammers and +5% on the total production output. Can be built in any city.
UU: Hussar (Cavalry). +1 movement point, flanking attack bonus.
Required DLC: All DLCs.
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: Quick Combat, Quick Movement
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Here is where you will start:
TSG220Start.jpg

The start file is attached below.

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!

Please note:

Spoiler :

If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
Spoiler :

We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through May 31st 2023.

@The_J @Blake00

Attachments​

Attachments

• TSG220_Start.Civ5Save
    602.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Interesting start. Tons of river tiles so food will be plentiful. SIP is ok, but I’m thinking of moving to the Marble: 2gpt and I get a 3 food tile in my first ring, which makes up for delaying my city one turn (5 turns for 2nd pop instead of 7).

I will probably SIP, you can't check what's in the west, so I will be afraid to settle on marble

Great to have a new GOTM! The starting location looks nice.

I have to say I'm not very good at domination though, and this being Deity, I'm not sure if I can win the game.

What's the grand strategy here? Try to take out one or two opponents with Comp Bows, then XBows, then Hussars? Or start peaceful, focus on research and turtle to Hussars or even Artillery?

I don't think I will be able to resist an early CB rush though, if it all possible!

Last edited:
CB rush is very map/civ dependent. A failed attempt will really set you behind.

This start has lots of food but not very much production, which makes it tough to crank out the necessary opening buildings and build the units. I am planning to wait for XB to start conquering and then if circumstances allow me to accelerate and take 1 capital with CB then I will adjust accordingly.

Given that we’re basically a neutral Civ for the early game, a CB rush would probably need to go for Liberty. I’ll wait to see what my scouting reveals before deciding which policy tree to open.

Hi guys. I saw this thread and the screenshot and decided to try this game out. River, hill mountain marble start... with Austria....should be a relaxing game...
I waste 1 turn to move on marble so that I can build ToA and spam crossbowmen later, regardless with all those river farms ToA will be huge. Full tradition followed by Honor and Autocracy should be ok for this type of game.

I'll move the warrior south to see what I might lose by settling on the marble. If nothing much, a marble city sounds good. Although, unless there's a significant number of the AI with coastal capitals I doubt I'll be able to win this one; I'm having a rough time in QfG #1; I'm 6 turns from Industrial and one of the AI is already in Modern.

Full Tradition then Honor? Never heard of taking Honor as second policy tree, can you enlighten us?

Yes, well, if I perceive correctly a sort of skepticism in your question, I can surely see why it's there. Honor delayed won't be as useful with Barbs but the other policies will all be continuously useful during the game especially in a game that Instructs/ requires us to win by Domination.

Probably a more standard approach to domination is to go right away with the warmongering and it is of course very reasonable, depending of the civ we play and the game conditions. But it's very possible to first build up a little, get a few wonders, maybe a religion, and then proceed with warmongering at a convenient time and against the convenient target.

So far it's going well, can't wait to exchange our stories of the game. :)

The opener for honor is massively overrated IMO. My skepticism is more around delaying the Honor finisher so much and eschewing Commerce. I find the timing of the gold and happiness boosts from commerce often come right when I need them.

Just a friendly reminder: I hope you remember to use the Opening Actions thread for discussing your first findings of the game itself.

I think the method is to open with Piety, so reformation is the 4th policy you unlock.

I seldom play the ones at immortal or deity, and domination is my weakest game (I go too slow) but will give this a try :) I will either settle in place or on the marble, depending on what my warrior sees as he moves south.

Was thinking the same.....am finishing the G Minor King effort first, but thought might try this. I have never even tried this difficulty.....so am sure it's an eye opener. I feel AI gets too many bonuses on Prince, for Pete's sake.

Was thinking the same.....am finishing the G Minor King effort first, but thought might try this. I have never even tried this difficulty.....so am sure it's an eye opener. I feel AI gets too many bonuses on Prince, for Pete's sake.
You should definitely try it. And in case it feels uncomfortable, there will be a new GotM-game in a couple of days. And that one will be on Prince. Just as a teaser...

Great...thanks

Edit: I don't see the end date listed here. Thinking of trying it, but also know the new GOTM was posted. Is it 5/31?

Last edited:
Top Bottom