A Tale of Two Teddies

I do believe they have also changed the original abilities of Teddy in some way. It might be possible that they gave "normal Teddy" more buffs to national parks and tourism and then gave "rough rider Teddy" more abilities connected to keeping the peace on the continent. So they might have split his original abilities to two different "Personas". With Catherine I think "normal Catherine" will keep her espionage buffs and new "Cultural Catherine" will get cultural buffs from luxuries. Seems actually pretty interesting. Im pretty sure their goal is to give us two "new leaders" from a game play point of view without giving us actually new leaders.

This gets me thinking, what of they in the future after this multipack thing made a multi repack dlc with like half of the leader in the game. Would be nice to get an alternative to all the wesker boring ones and new skinns for the most played leaders.

Does he come with a new Civ UA as well?

Also to comment on Teddy, I'm not sure what they are going to do but I'm assuming the old Teddy doesn't change so whatever new ability he gets he'll still gets the Rough Riders right?

I would think the Rough Riders would be available to Rough Rider Teddy, yes. But as I said, if you were going to make it a part of two different leader abilities why not just make it the civ's UU altogether?

First, the current 'Rough Rider' UU is dubious: the actual unit was the 1st Volunteer Cavalry, an amateur outfit whose one and only combat was NOT on their home continent!
I believe you are incorrect on this as Cuba is an island off the North American continent, saying Cuba is not a part of NA is like saying the British Islands are not a part of the European continent. Otherwise I agree with you about the RRs short life although it was two battles the meeting engagement the day before SWH and San Juan Hill itself.

I believe you are incorrect on this as Cuba is an island off the North American continent, saying Cuba is not a part of NA is like saying the British Islands are not a part of the European continent. Otherwise I agree with you about the RRs short life although it was two battles the meeting engagement the day before SWH and San Juan Hill itself.

I will grant you that Cuba is part of the Americas, and diplomatically included within the limits of the Monroe Doctrine, making it "American" territorial interest. But it is also outside both the traditional 3 mile and 12 miles limits of the continental United States. Legally, all the US troops that took part in the 'Cuban Expedition' received credit for Overseas Duty, so at the time it was not considered part of the continent.
Parenthetically, in the British Army service on the European continent was also considered 'Overseas', even though the 'sea' was even narrower than the water between Cuba and Florida. Service in Ireland was not so considered, even though the Irish Sea is wider than the Channel. Go figure.

As to the Battle, I'd also like to point out that in the attack on the Kettle Hill portion of San Juan Heights the 1st Volunteer Cavalry was charging in support of the primary attack by the 10th US Cavalry - the Buffalo Soldiers. Also, the success of the attack was widely (by the participating officers, like 'Black Jack' Pershing with the 10th USC) attributed to the supporting fire from Parker's Battery of 4 Gatling Guns, which smothered the Spanish defenses with 18,000 rounds of rapid fire in less than 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, although it would be more appropriate, neither the very professional Buffalo Soldiers nor the Gatling Gun as a support weapon (Cuba was the first time the US Army had used it in that role) will likely ever be considered for Unique Units for America in the game.

I would think the Rough Riders would be available to Rough Rider Teddy, yes. But as I said, if you were going to make it a part of two different leader abilities why not just make it the civ's UU altogether?
They already have the P-51 Mustang. We'll just have to wait and see because I'm not too sure how it will work. Out of all the possible leaders you would think they wanted to pick a different leader to show of another Persona, because I'm not quite sure what else they could do different.

They already have the P-51 Mustang. We'll just have to wait and see because I'm not too sure how it will work. Out of all the possible leaders you would think they wanted to pick a different leader to show of another Persona, because I'm not quite sure what else they could do different.

I think Teddy's the perfect choice for an alternative persona because any new leader ability he gets is likely to change the way America plays. Compare that to someone like Korea who I've seen some people wish had a second leader... that civ pretty much revolves around one feature (the Seowon) and changing the leader ability probably is going to have very little impact on how they actually play.

I think Teddy's the perfect choice for an alternative persona because any new leader ability he gets is likely to change the way America plays. Compare that to someone like Korea who I've seen some people wish had a second leader... that civ pretty much revolves around one feature (the Seowon) and changing the leader ability probably is going to have very little impact on how they actually play.
Yes what I meant was Teddy already plays exactly how I thought he would, keeping the peace on the continent with his Big Stick and being an environmentalist by setting up National Parks. It seems he will not be as different as Catherine, so that's why I'm wondering what they will do with him.

I also agree about Korea. I don't see them getting an another leader because they would play the same way.

I will grant you that Cuba is part of the Americas, and diplomatically included within the limits of the Monroe Doctrine, making it "American" territorial interest. But it is also outside both the traditional 3 mile and 12 miles limits of the continental United States. Legally, all the US troops that took part in the 'Cuban Expedition' received credit for Overseas Duty, so at the time it was not considered part of the continent.
Parenthetically, in the British Army service on the European continent was also considered 'Overseas', even though the 'sea' was even narrower than the water between Cuba and Florida. Service in Ireland was not so considered, even though the Irish Sea is wider than the Channel. Go figure.

Boris, Cuba rests on the North American Continental Shelf that was my point about the RRs ability being accurate.
As for the units serving in Cuba getting credit for Overseas duty members of the US Military get credit to day for Overseas duty even if they never serve outside the 50 United States. I served and had 4 permanent duties stations all within the continent of NA and I officially served 18 months overseas, because one of those permanent duty stations was Ft Wainwright, Alaska.

Top Bottom