Abandoning A City

Cavebear

Chieftain
Sometimes, you have a city pushed out a bit too far and an opponent Civ is just going to take it no matter what you do. I'm embarrassed to even say this after years of play, but I just realized the only thing to do. Build (or have) a transport to take the units to a safe city (and rehome them) and sell the best city construct you have for the cash. I know, I know, you should always have your cities fortified enough, but sometimes there are surprises.

I captured Leonardo's in an opposing Civ city (I just LOVE Leonardo) and I extended too far. And was worth it, too (massive upgrades for 3 turms). But I couldn't hold it. Staring at the screen for some way to hold it, I suddenly realized I had gotten a lot but would lose a lot fighting to keep it. So I emptied the city units onto a transport "just" in reach of one of my better cities. And sold the library I had captured. Survived there a 2nd turn (gotta love the City Walls) and sold the barracks.

Saved units and got $200 gold.

All that may be obvious to some of you, but it wasn't to me. So I wanted to pass it on "just in case"...

I've done this too, but never had to sacrifice a Wonder. That must have hurt. Did you manage to rebuild it elsewhere?

The Leonardo's remained in the city. I think I tried to sell it (had never tried that before) but couldn't. Or (horrors) didn't even think to try that. I'm not sure. Can you sell a Wonder? I'll have to open up the game soon to that year to try that. Anyway Leonardo's was about to become obsolete from an advance. I forget which. I don't play Civ 2 often enough these days. I'm usually ahead on tech and behind on military, so I depend on the "next tech" chart to warn me about which will negate a Wonder.

The Leonardo's remained in the city. I think I tried to sell it (had never tried that before) but couldn't. Or (horrors) didn't even think to try that. I'm not sure. Can you sell a Wonder? I'll have to open up the game soon to that year to try that. Anyway Leonardo's was about to become obsolete from an advance. I forget which. I don't play Civ 2 often enough these days. I'm usually ahead on tech and behind on military, so I depend on the "next tech" chart to warn me about which will negate a Wonder.

No, you can't sell Wonders. It becomes obsolete with the discovery of the Automobile.

The Civilopedia will give you all kinds of useful information about the Wonders, so you can plan ahead of what you want to discover and when, either speeding up or delaying them as necessary.

Well, at least whether I tried to sell Leonardo's or not, it didn't matter then. Saved me looking up a previous year. LOL!

Yes, I do consider Wonders to build. My preferred strategy is to set up several weakly-defended cities early for basic development. Then build a few settlers to build cities on the edge of the map (away from other civs). Then advance early Wonders (Pyramids, Wall, Great Library) in those cities as rapidly as possible. I always seem to be on one edge of the map (when in the center, I go very diplomatic/trade and play with money/bribery, but that is rare).

Those cities farthest away from the other civs become my science/advances cities. And late Wonders-creators (Leonardo's, Bach, Sun Tze, Hoover, etc). I don't bother with some. I think they are just there to waste your efforts.

For me, the space race is the thing. I tried military conquest a few times, but I have no talent for it. All the details of stacked units and moving units carefully in various terrains just gives me a headache. :crazyeye:

I'm a builder, not a General. And I usually barely (and if) land on Alpha Centuri first, it is usually a close thing right at the end. I have never landed before 1950 and that was at Chieftain where I just wanted to try an early landing. I usually play at King. Though (back in the day when I playee a lot, I won at Emperor several times and Deity once. Frequency of play does matter for all the details.

Well, at least whether I tried to sell Leonardo's or not, it didn't matter then. Saved me looking up a previous year. LOL!

Yes, I do consider Wonders to build. My preferred strategy is to set up several weakly-defended cities early for basic development. Then build a few settlers to build cities on the edge of the map (away from other civs). Then advance early Wonders (Pyramids, Wall, Great Library) in those cities as rapidly as possible. I always seem to be on one edge of the map (when in the center, I go very diplomatic/trade and play with money/bribery, but that is rare).

Those cities farthest away from the other civs become my science/advances cities. And late Wonders-creators (Leonardo's, Bach, Sun Tze, Hoover, etc). I don't bother with some. I think they are just there to waste your efforts.

For me, the space race is the thing. I tried military conquest a few times, but I have no talent for it. All the details of stacked units and moving units carefully in various terrains just gives me a headache. :crazyeye:

I'm a builder, not a General. And I usually barely (and if) land on Alpha Centuri first, it is usually a close thing right at the end. I have never landed before 1950 and that was at Chieftain where I just wanted to try an early landing. I usually play at King. Though (back in the day when I playee a lot, I won at Emperor several times and Deity once. Frequency of play does matter for all the details.
True. It's been years since I last played, as my Win XP decided it didn't want to work with my Open Office program, and I was so upset about that (being unable to continue my then-current NaNoWriMo entry for a writing competition), I didn't even think to check to see if I could still play Civ. I'd bought that XP especially so I could play Civ II and Test of Time.

I'll admit that Test of Time is my preferred version of Civ II, though I do have fond memories of plain Test of Time. I loved the Advisors, especially when the Military advisor got drunk and started singing. :lol:

Whether ordinary Civ II or ToT, I always pushed science and literacy. This can be problematic in the Lalande scenario of Test of Time, when you've moved up to the Orbit part of the map (ToT is a multi-level map of 4 tiers, so you have to think 3-dimensionally when you're planning your city placements and your moves). If you can't terraform the orbital platforms fast enough, your cities will starve.

As for Wonders... I didn't bother with most of the early ones for the sake of bonuses, since the push for knowledge made them obsolete fairly quickly. They're good for points, though, and at least if I have them, that means nobody else can.

True. It's been years since I last played, as my Win XP decided it didn't want to work with my Open Office program, and I was so upset about that (being unable to continue my then-current NaNoWriMo entry for a writing competition), I didn't even think to check to see if I could still play Civ. I'd bought that XP especially so I could play Civ II and Test of Time.

I'll admit that Test of Time is my preferred version of Civ II, though I do have fond memories of plain Test of Time. I loved the Advisors, especially when the Military advisor got drunk and started singing. :lol:

Whether ordinary Civ II or ToT, I always pushed science and literacy. This can be problematic in the Lalande scenario of Test of Time, when you've moved up to the Orbit part of the map (ToT is a multi-level map of 4 tiers, so you have to think 3-dimensionally when you're planning your city placements and your moves). If you can't terraform the orbital platforms fast enough, your cities will starve.

As for Wonders... I didn't bother with most of the early ones for the sake of bonuses, since the push for knowledge made them obsolete fairly quickly. They're good for points, though, and at least if I have them, that means nobody else can.

I understand the difficulty playing Civ 2 these days. I have an old standalone Mac that can. And a standalone can be useful in other ways. I keep a spreadsheet of passwords in Excel and sometimes print it for saving in a legal notebook for convenience. I have to change the font though. Currently, some letters like small "L" and capital "I" look the same. I have to change that to Courier, I think. Something where they are all different. Mentioning that isn't unsecure; as I said, it is a standalone.

It is funny. You are using Windows programs I don't remember and I am using Microsoft programs on my Mac. LOL!

Did Civfanatics change suddenly? I am getting a different site and it wants a subscription fee.

Cavebear

Did Civfanatics change suddenly? I am getting a different site and it wants a subscription fee.

CFC was a vBulletin forum for many years until it migrated to XenForo. A few weeks ago there was another migration to an updated version of XenForo, and the admins are still working out some of the problems that came along with that. There's a thread in the Site Feedback forum to ask questions or let them know if there are things that aren't working for you.

You do not have to pay a subscription fee to belong here and use the forum. Some people have chosen to pay to become a "supporter" but it's entirely optional.

These are issues that should really be discussed in Site Feedback.

As for programs... I tend to stick with the old stuff until I absolutely need (or desperately want) the new stuff.

That includes Civ games, btw. I've never really played III-VI (did try III and SMAC, but found I much prefer II and ToT).

I understand the difficulty playing Civ 2 these days. I have an old standalone Mac that can. And a standalone can be useful in other ways. I keep a spreadsheet of passwords in Excel and sometimes print it for saving in a legal notebook for convenience. I have to change the font though. Currently, some letters like small "L" and capital "I" look the same. I have to change that to Courier, I think. Something where they are all different. Mentioning that isn't unsecure; as I said, it is a standalone.

It is funny. You are using Windows programs I don't remember and I am using Microsoft programs on my Mac. LOL!

Cavebear

CFC was a vBulletin forum for many years until it migrated to XenForo. A few weeks ago there was another migration to an updated version of XenForo, and the admins are still working out some of the problems that came along with that. There's a thread in the Site Feedback forum to ask questions or let them know if there are things that aren't working for you.

You do not have to pay a subscription fee to belong here and use the forum. Some people have chosen to pay to become a "supporter" but it's entirely optional.

These are issues that should really be discussed in Site Feedback.

As for programs... I tend to stick with the old stuff until I absolutely need (or desperately want) the new stuff.

That includes Civ games, btw. I've never really played III-VI (did try III and SMAC, but found I much prefer II and ToT).

I tried the later versions and hated "sphere of influence", and the silly little graphics of archers flinging arrows in Civ 4. So I stayed with Civ 2.

So, does this site remain active?

I tried the later versions and hated "sphere of influence", and the silly little graphics of archers flinging arrows in Civ 4. So I stayed with Civ 2.

So, does this site remain active?

Which site? :confused: CFC is always active, both in the Civ sections and in the Colosseum (where we talk about non-Civ things).

Top Bottom