About deleting threads.

Oerdin

Deity
In the future if there is a single questionable post in an otherwise good thread would it be possible to delete that post rather then the entire thread? I was really enjoying my CFC thread discussing Apolyton as it gave me the first good reason to come here in several months.

This very close to "public discussion of moderator actions," but in any case: the thread you are referring to did not have "a single questionable post." In fact, quite the opposite, as there were many spammish posts. If you wish to discuss the site status of Apolyton, this thread in the Other Civ-Related Sites forum is available. Threads that compare and/or criticize Apolyton do not really belong in any forum here...

Nah, I'm against deleting questionable posts at all. After all, we learn how to not get into any trouble when checking which posts by the others have been deemed problematic and if they had brought the poster an infraction or not. And IMO, whenever the mods see that a thread's purpose is only to spam the forum a bit up or when a necroed thread has been bumped for an irrelevant or unimprtant reason, or when a thread evolves into a flaming tantrum for the opposing fractions on a certain topic and this kind of behaviour even continues after a mod has made a warning to stop it, it's better to close the whole thing just up and forget the whole deal.

I am not the one who removed the thread, but I have since read it, and agree with its removal. The entire thread was both spammy, and headed toward disruption of the good terms we are on with Poly.

As for deletion of posts/threads at all, just consider that part of our "nazi-regime" of moderation. ;)

I am not the one who removed the thread, but I have since read it, and agree with its removal. The entire thread was both spammy, and headed toward disruption of the good terms we are on with Poly.

As for deletion of posts/threads at all, just consider that part of our "nazi-regime" of moderation. ;)

Hell, I'm not even the one who spoke about "the Nazi regime". :p

If the current approach of the mods here is called a nazi-regime, then I go for that!
Arbitrary and mindless moderation make a forum going steadily down to the dogs IMO.

Hell, I'm not even the one who spoke about "the Nazi regime". :p

The "Nazi Regime" reference was just a reference to a post in the removed thread. ;)

We delete posts (and threads) for a variety of reasons, including the silly charge that "Hey! You let thread X go a lot further before you shut it down!" Leaving "junk" on the forums presents a less-civilized face, so we tend to clean it up.

Top Bottom