about to finish my first civ 5 game

00konichiwa00

Prince
researched everything. is that all? I mean they have removed a lot of stuff. there is no pollution (except if you use nukes), AI's act stupid, 5 artillery and one tank and you can take one city per turn, airplanes don't get shot down, city-states act stupid, buildings don't have bad effects (like unhealthiness or pollution). the coolest thing is that resources actually get used up (sometimes maybe a little too fast lol;-), I missed that in previous civ games (in civ 4 they rarely got used up, but it was never a real problem).
It's okay that they change the game, but it seems like they changed it to a family-friendly game.
I only play at level 3 (or maybe it is 4) though.
does civilizations act more logic on higher levels, or does it only mean it takes longer to research, longer to build units/buildings and that it is harder to make gold?
if that is all I might be ready to go back to civ 4 again. that is sad since I started to enjoy civ 5 the first 200-300 turns.
I normally play marathon games, maybe that has something to do with it?

another thing is that they totally stripped UN for features:-(
another cool thing is the nukes, I love the way they destroy lol

I think Civ5 is fine the way it is. It is not AWESOMEOMGBBQWTF, but it is a nice game and easier to play than Civ4. Go back to Civ4 if you want. :)

researched everything. is that all? I mean they have removed a lot of stuff. there is no pollution (except if you use nukes), AI's act stupid, 5 artillery and one tank and you can take one city per turn, airplanes don't get shot down, city-states act stupid, buildings don't have bad effects (like unhealthiness or pollution). the coolest thing is that resources actually get used up (sometimes maybe a little too fast lol;-), I missed that in previous civ games (in civ 4 they rarely got used up, but it was never a real problem).
It's okay that they change the game, but it seems like they changed it to a family-friendly game.
does civilizations act more logic on higher levels, or does it only mean it takes longer to research, longer to build units/buildings and that it is harder to make gold?
if that is all I might be ready to go back to civ 4 again. that is sad since I started to enjoy civ 5 the first 200-300 turns.

If you want to micromanage and get more detail from your games, Civ IV w/whatever mods is the way to go. Civ V is more simplified.

I like them both as they both have their places. Just like when I wanted to play and finish Civ in an hour, I'd pop in Civ: Rev.

I've dabbled at the top level in Civ V and found that there's little change to the AI as far as strategy goes. The "difficulty" is accomplished by giving the AI stuff faster than you yourself can get them. And of course, you don't have any padding with things like happiness.

marathon does give the human a better advantage imo, but you need to increase the difficulty for sure.

I agree with basically every complaint.

Nope, AI is basically same intelligence on every difficulty, they just get bonuses on higher ones. Also, on lower diffs, they don't always choose what they think is "best" but since they don't know what's best, this doesn't make much of a difference.

Funny that you say it's family-friendly, I agree with the angle you're going with; no pollution, no unhealthiness. But on the other hand, it's pretty pro-war compared to other Civs. The AI loves war, there's no war weariness, and even without the courthouse "feature", war can be quite profitable. I always lose unless I focus on war and try to take cities, then I win more often than not.

I agree with basically every complaint.

Nope, AI is basically same intelligence on every difficulty, they just get bonuses on higher ones. Also, on lower diffs, they don't always choose what they think is "best" but since they don't know what's best, this doesn't make much of a difference.

Funny that you say it's family-friendly, I agree with the angle you're going with; no pollution, no unhealthiness. But on the other hand, it's pretty pro-war compared to other Civs. The AI loves war, there's no war weariness, and even without the courthouse "feature", war can be quite profitable. I always lose unless I focus on war and try to take cities, then I win more often than not.

I think all the small features made civ 4 a lot better. I will start a new game with a higher difficult level and see.
like it is now I can just build any buidling and not worry economy, war-weariness, pollution etc. makes it a little bit too simple. wars were a lot more fun in Civ 4 (especially world wars). I also miss the ally feature, and technology and map trading. actually there is bunches of things they have removed without putting much new stuff in. I don't understand how Sid Meier actually allow them to use his name when the game are so different from previous versions.

3 or 4 is a pretty easy difficulty level, (Not saying that's bad, play on what you're comfortable with - but if you've got all of these complaints then you don't sound comfortable with that!) You should also note that generally Marathon is seen to make games easier anyway, given that you have more time for taking cities etc. There are other topics explaining exactly why.

But basically, you're finding it dull and unfulfilling because you're playing on an average difficulty with a timescale that makes it easier. Move up a bit and see if you have a similar experience!

The Civ AI has worked pretty much the same way since CiIII; it plays under the constraints of Chieftain (And it gets more bonuses as you go up in difficulty) while you play under the constraints of whichever level you've chosen. AI has always been "dumb" in various ways. If you have the time and the inclination you can try Multiplayer or a Hotseat game if you're lucky enough to have nearby friend who plays Civ.
If some of the game elements from CiIV or CiIII are what you're missing then there isn't much to say.
I would observe the CiV is relatively young compared to its predecessors and I think that it will become more rich through the efforts of the modders and the developers.

3 or 4 is a pretty easy difficulty level, (Not saying that's bad, play on what you're comfortable with - but if you've got all of these complaints then you don't sound comfortable with that!) You should also note that generally Marathon is seen to make games easier anyway, given that you have more time for taking cities etc. There are other topics explaining exactly why.

But basically, you're finding it dull and unfulfilling because you're playing on an average difficulty with a timescale that makes it easier. Move up a bit and see if you have a similar experience!

I didn't say I played a a level that was difficult for me. what I said is that there is so many fun features that is removed from the game, and that makes it dull. I just started a new game on level 6. but after thinking over how limited the game is I am going back (AGAIN lol) to civ 4. I will keep buying DLC's/expansion pack though, in hope that it will improve the game. especially AI diplomacy doesn't make sense. it is like there is a bug saying that computer run civs will backstab even if relations are very close. I am still hoping they will improve civ 5 and will therefor keep coming back and try it every few months

The Civ AI has worked pretty much the same way since CiIII; it plays under the constraints of Chieftain (And it gets more bonuses as you go up in difficulty) while you play under the constraints of whichever level you've chosen. AI has always been "dumb" in various ways. If you have the time and the inclination you can try Multiplayer or a Hotseat game if you're lucky enough to have nearby friend who plays Civ.
If some of the game elements from CiIV or CiIII are what you're missing then there isn't much to say.
I would observe the CiV is relatively young compared to its predecessors and I think that it will become more rich through the efforts of the modders and the developers.

I don't agree that AI civs acted the same way in civ 3 and 4. in 3 and 4 it was possible to keep good relations from beginning to end with AI controled civs.

but I do agree that it is hopefully only because the game is only 1 year old that it is lesser than civ 4.

oh and the reason why I don't player civ 5 online is that the other players seems to quit the game when I am about to crush them. civ 5 online are also very limited when it i.e. comes to amount of players. I like to play slow games on huge maps with 50 civs. there was a mod in civ 4 that made it possible to have 50 civs. that was way cool.

actually there is bunches of things they have removed without putting much new stuff in. I don't understand how Sid Meier actually allow them to use his name when the game are so different from previous versions.

Interesting, I had and have the same impression with Sid. Since Sid was the creator of Civ1 (it was a very good game, so he knows how to make good games), and the series went so far according to that line, until 5, which is a very different game. I mean its quite strange, was he at all involved in decision making, or he just didnt have time to take a glance on what is being developed, maybe he is too old by now, or is he alive at all? And yes this sort of grand removal of features is surprising, and almost a year passed, and nothing substantial has been added. I do agree with posters above categorizing the game as being casual. Civ4 + mods were never casual, they were a very deep game.

Interesting, I had and have the same impression with Sid. Since Sid was the creator of Civ1 (it was a very good game, so he knows how to make good games), and the series went so far according to that line, until 5, which is a very different game. I mean its quite strange, was he at all involved in decision making, or he just didnt have time to take a glance on what is being developed, maybe he is too old by now, or is he alive at all? And yes this sort of grand removal of features is surprising, and almost a year passed, and nothing substantial has been added. I do agree with posters above categorizing the game as being casual. Civ4 + mods were never casual, they were a very deep game.

I have heard that Sid Meier is getting bunches of bucks for letting them use his name.

Top Bottom