ActualQuotes diplomacy text!

Simetrical said:
The particle in question is written with the hiragana character normally used for ha, but is both pronounced and transliterated wa, always. The Hepburn system does not transliterate it ha, and nor does any other that I know of.

And if you're going to split it up into syllables, konnichi wa is five syllables: ko + n + ni + chi + wa. The n is syllabic, as in English button.

Well, since we're getting technical, it's four syllables: kon-ni-chi wa. Linguistically speaking, the 'n' is geminated (pronounced double), but the first 'n' doesn't count as a syllable on its own, whether it has its own hiragana letter or not.

Anyway, this is a great mod. What with these and the Spock quotes for new technologies, I can see my dinner party conversation improving no end :)

OK, version 1.2 is now ready.

*New stuff: AqutalQuotes for Mansa Musa, Montezuma and Hatshepsut!

*Fixed stuff: “Konnichiwa” :)

*Changed stuff: Minor tweak of some of Alexander’s text to make it more in line with his, umm, energetic body language.

Massive thanks to Junuxx for pointing me in the right direction re the new quotes!

Download from main page

Here's a screenie:

Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Hi, Willowmound :)
Very nice mod, thank you for your work :)

Game's atmosphere drastically increases for me (if i can so), after installing it.

Have you checked this source?
Seems, there are plenty of quotes.

Cause, im russian, some Catherine's quotes:
In politics a capable ruler must be guided by circumstances, conjectures and conjunctions
(alternative greeting, maybe)
Your wit makes others witty
(after clinch a bargain)
I beg you take courage; the brave soul can mend even disaster
(Propose to offer war to her own enemy)
In my position you have to read when you want to write and to talk when you would like to read
(one more greeting?)

Thanks, Dmitryn!

Those are some good quotes. The last one is actually in the mod already, though :)

Next up is trying to get leaders to have more than one specific response per given situation, so your suggestion for an additional greeting is just the thing I need. I haven't actually tried it yet, so I'm not sure if it's going to work. Here's hoping!

Downloaded the new version. :) :goodjob:
Saladin's quote is really funny :lol:

I noticed an few errors:
- "Am am" instead of "I am" in Hapshepsut's quote though
- "suceed"instead of "succeed" in Genghis Khan's

Thanks, that will be fixed in the next version :)

I have a question to everyone who uses this mod: Do you find you almost never get leader-specific text (i.e. the quotes in this mod) in normal diplomacy interactions? Or is it just me? I am contemplating drastically reducing the number of shared generic responses in order to increase the likelihood of getting the ActualQuotes...

Gav said:
this would be hilarious combined with a george w bush leader...

Especially when he tried to use the "Fool me once" proverb and screwed it up:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once -- shame on -- shame on you. You fool me, you can't get fooled again."

Sept. 17, 2002

Or parts of this epic:

"The civilized world knows very well that other fanatics in history, from Hitler to Stalin to Pol Pot, consumed whole nations in war and genocide before leaving the stage of history. Evil men, obsessed with ambition and unburdened by conscience, must be taken very seriously -- and we must stop them before their crimes can multiply. ...We didn't ask for this global struggle, but we're answering history's call with confidence, and with a comprehensive strategy. ...State sponsors like Syria and Iran have a long history of collaboration with terrorists, and they deserve no patience from the victims of terror. ...By any standard or precedent of history, Iraq has made incredible political progress -- from tyranny, to liberation, to national elections, to the ratification of a constitution -- in the space of two-and-a-half years. ...While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began. ...With the rise of a deadly enemy and the unfolding of a global ideological struggle, our time in history will be remembered for new challenges and unprecedented dangers. ...Throughout history, tyrants and would-be tyrants have always claimed that murder is justified to serve their grand vision ...[We] do know the love of freedom is the mightiest force of history, and we do know the cause of freedom will once again prevail."

Jack Naples said:
Well, since we're getting technical, it's four syllables: kon-ni-chi wa. Linguistically speaking, the 'n' is geminated (pronounced double), but the first 'n' doesn't count as a syllable on its own, whether it has its own hiragana letter or not.
Okay, after a little more research, I concede that this is correct. ん is not syllabic, it's moraic. What exactly a mora is I'm still unclear on, though . . . but this is off-topic and I'll stop here.

Bravo to Willowmound - this is an ingenious & original concept that adds a lot of flavor to the game.
Bravo to Requis - Air America?

If anyone makes a mod to add George W. Bush then i would suggest this quote

---------------------
Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.............

.............Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!...............

2Willowmound
Can you change specific answers or they are common for every leader? It is rather weird to read, when G.Washington after peace agreement says something like "I will sacrifice fifty warriors in honor of your friendship! Or would you prefer virgins?."

I have a question to everyone who uses this mod: Do you find you almost never get leader-specific text (i.e. the quotes in this mod) in normal diplomacy interactions?
I'll check it in the evening.

I like this idea a lot, but would prefer to make up my own quotes for these leaders! How did you change the texts? What file(s) need to be accessed??

Dmitryn said:
2Willowmound
Can you change specific answers or they are common for every leader? It is rather weird to read, when G.Washington after peace agreement says something like "I will sacrifice fifty warriors in honor of your friendship! Or would you prefer virgins?."

Leaders have some text that is specific to them. Mostly they use text from a pool shared by all. You can change any text, and I have changed some of the common responses where I thought they were too zany. I have thought of going over all of them to weed out stuff like what you mention, but I'm not sure whether people would want that.

I have, unfortunately, found that I can't decrease the number of common responses to increase the likelihood of getting leader-specific ones. There must be code in a file somewhere that tells the game how many responses there are supposed to be, so if I try to remove some it stuffs up. I have not been able to find where this code is. Yet.

Danielos said:
I like this idea a lot, but would prefer to make up my own quotes for these leaders! How did you change the texts? What file(s) need to be accessed??

Go for it! The file is Civ4DiplomacyText.xml :)

2Willowmound
Do you find you almost never get leader-specific text (i.e. the quotes in this mod) in normal diplomacy interactions?
I've tested it a little. Number of special quotes about 10%, im my observation.

Mostly they use text from a pool shared by all. You can change any text, and I have changed some of the common responses where I thought they were too zany. I have thought of going over all of them to weed out stuff like what you mention, but I'm not sure whether people would want that.
I have such suspicions :(
But i think, it should be left as is, until better solution not found.
This quote is normally perceived, from Chenghis Khan or Montezuma.

userqwerty said:
If anyone makes a mod to add George W. Bush then i would suggest this quote

---------------------
Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.............

.............Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!...............

as ******ed as he is, that is a fake quote.

Hmm, Google certainly doesn't turn up anything reputable-looking. But there would be plenty of fun quotes to use anyway, certainly. :D (And I say this as a half-hearted supporter of Bush.)

Dmitryn said:
2Willowmound

I've tested it a little. Number of special quotes about 10%, im my observation.

I have such suspicions :(
But i think, it should be left as is, until better solution not found.
This quote is normally perceived, from Chenghis Khan or Montezuma.

Thanks for your efforts, Dmitryn! Ten percent sounds about right.

I will be releasing ver.1.21 shortly, fixing some typos and other small issues, and I'm going to change that response with the sacrificing of the warriors/virgins. I got it in one of my games recently, and it really does not fit most of the leaders.

@Kolyana: hope you like it :)

Top Bottom