[C3C] Add New Civ Traits?

Knightfall

Warlord
I know that it's possible to add/replace civs, but is it possible to add new Traits to the game as well, or is this hardcoded? I'm not really a modder, just asking as a hypothetical question.

Knightfall, to give civilizations directly new traits is, as far as I know, not possible in Civ 3.

What is possible, is to give certain civilizations from start special untradeable era-none techs, that are allowing special options, per example from the advances settings, that are not allowed for other civs in that mod.

Knightfall, to give civilizations directly new traits is, as far as I know, not possible in Civ 3.
It is, however, also possible to rename the existing traits — even if I still haven't figured out how you did it in CCM! ;)

It is, however, also possible to rename the existing traits — even if I still haven't figured out how you did it in CCM! ;)

If remembering well, I have changed the catchwords in the civilopedia links (and added some new).

What is possible, is to give certain civilizations from start special untradeable era-none techs, that are allowing special options, per example from the advances settings, that are not allowed for other civs in that mod.
Thanks Civinator. I had an idea for a mod the would add a version of the "Protective" trait from CIV IV into the game, thus giving nine total traits, but it sounds like that's not really possible.

As Civinator says, you can use extra free techs to specific civs that you can label as a "new" trait, which can also provide buildings. However, to display this in the civ screen you have to either rename the default traits via the labels.txt or just include it in the civilopedia (only the original hard-coded traits are displayed in the civ description box). If you rename an existing trait, that civ also gets the original benefits along with whatever you have chosen as extra. There is no ingame tracking whether a benefit is from a trait or not. So if you say so, and all the indicators ie, a specific set of civs have access to it, then who is to say the trait doesnt provide such a bonus?

As Civinator says, you can use extra free techs to specific civs that you can label as a "new" trait, which can also provide buildings. However, to display this in the civ screen you have to either rename the default traits via the labels.txt or just include it in the civilopedia (only the original hard-coded traits are displayed in the civ description box). If you rename an existing trait, that civ also gets the original benefits along with whatever you have chosen as extra. There is no ingame tracking whether a benefit is from a trait or not. So if you say so, and all the indicators ie, a specific set of civs have access to it, then who is to say the trait doesnt provide such a bonus?
But the actual traits themselves are hard-coded, right?

Top Bottom