Adding a PDF file to ModBuddy Mod?

sman1975

Emperor
Greetings,

I'm wrapping up the mod I've been working on for a bit. Due to a lot of changes to the basic game, I've written a manual to help guide the player through all the changes/new features. The manual is a bit lengthy (10 MB, lots of pix), so I converted it to a PDF file to save space.

ModBuddy does NOT like me adding it to the solution at all. I haven't found a way to include it in the package without a slew of errors. Is there a way I can include the manual as some form of dummy file MB won't process? How does one publish a large manual/file like this?

Thanks,

S-Man

Hi sman1975
I know Hulfgar's mods carry a PDF file for FAQ
He has it loaded with in the "File" list and set to "0" in the "modinfo" file for example
Code:
  <Files>
    <File md5="3D6D2C8B36E223B9B4190EA6DC2D009A" import="0">FAQ Hulfgar.pdf</File>
  </Files>
You could/can do this manually as opposed to trying to run it through modbuddy

Last edited:
I build the solution then the mod. Everything looks good - plays like it's supposed to. I then go to Modbuddy and add an existing file - the PDF file - at the bottom of the folders list - just under the mod name hierarchy (i.e. not in ART, or XML folders).
Then I try to build the solution again, and I get this error in the error list:

Error 1 The "PackageMod" task failed unexpectedly.
SevenZip.SevenZipException: The execution has failed due to the bug in the SevenZipSharp.
Please report about it to http://sevenzipsharp.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx, post the release number and attach the archive.
at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.ThrowException(SevenZipBase handler, Exception[] e)
at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.CheckedExecute(Int32 hresult, String message, SevenZipBase handler)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(Stream archiveStream, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(String archiveName, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFiles(String archiveName, String[] fileFullNames)
at Firaxis.ModBuddy.Civ5ModBuildTasks.PackageMod.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext() C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets 129 10 Kingmaker

In the Output window here's what I see:

------ Build started: Project: Kingmaker, Configuration: Default x86 ------
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Firaxis\ModBuddy\Civ5Mod.targets(129,9): error MSB4018: The "PackageMod" task failed unexpectedly.
SevenZip.SevenZipException: The execution has failed due to the bug in the SevenZipSharp.
Please report about it to http://sevenzipsharp.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx, post the release number and attach the archive.
at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.ThrowException(SevenZipBase handler, Exception[] e)
at SevenZip.SevenZipBase.CheckedExecute(Int32 hresult, String message, SevenZipBase handler)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(Stream archiveStream, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFilesEncrypted(String archiveName, Int32 commonRootLength, String password, String[] fileFullNames)
at SevenZip.SevenZipCompressor.CompressFiles(String archiveName, String[] fileFullNames)
at Firaxis.ModBuddy.Civ5ModBuildTasks.PackageMod.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext()
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Again, the absolute only change is the addition of the PDF file. When I remove the file and rebuild, no errors at all.

Well it would seem that Sevenzipsharp is not negotiating your PDF file for some reason, could be the size of the file perhaps, maybe to test if it is the size that is causing the problem, you could make a dummy pdf say at a size of 100kb and then run that through modbuddy instead of your actual pdf and see if it still throws up an error, if it does then we can eliminate that then, if it doesn't then the problem will be the size of your pdf, then you can adjust things accordingly

Last edited:
I tried adding a 400kb PDF - same error. Added a 20KB file, same error. :/

The manual checks in at just over 10MB - lots of pictures. I suppose I could post it somewhere and include the link on the steam download page?

OK - have managed to get it working. Basically, I have to restart Modbuddy every time I want to build the solution. It will build correctly once, but not a second time. Then I exit/restart and I can build the new solution - once. Without the PDF file I can rebuild as much as I want. Odd.

Thanks everyone for the assistance!

OK - have managed to get it working. Basically, I have to restart Modbuddy every time I want to build the solution. It will build correctly once, but not a second time. Then I exit/restart and I can build the new solution - once. Without the PDF file I can rebuild as much as I want. Odd.

Nice job mate, well done :goodjob:

Have you loaded it into the civfanatic download database at all ?
If you have what section is it under as I wouldn't mind having a play :)

It's friends-only now. I have a couple of buddies playtesting right now - trying to make sure the balance is OK. Had to tweak a lot of civ v settings, so I want to make sure the gaming experience is even. And hopefully, a little fun as well...

Hope to have it "live" in about a week. Thanks all for the assistance!!!

Top Bottom