Adding more Yields? [IMPLEMENTED]

Would you like to have these additional Yields?

• Total voters
B) Breeding Pigs. I get that this will make wetlands and marsh tiles more valuable and distribute the livestock yields more evenly.
Exactly. :yup:

Would you consider this idea? Make pigs produced in towns, rather than on pastures outside of town.
No, because then the balancing of Marsh and Wetland does not work.
Also Livestock-Breeding would not work, which is currently programmed for Plots.
Also I would need to put Buildings slots in Town for it and the space there is too rare to waste it.
Also ...

Simple answer:
No, it will stay outdooor on the Plot.

My reasoning on this is simply that pigs aren't raised on pastures, but in pens or runs, or whatever.
Then "pasture" and a "run / pen" are not that different. It is just a name. :dunno:
But actually I might really use a "run" / "pen" anyways and will probalby create one. :think:

Butchered pigs produce cheap skins > cheap leather.
That is what happened / happens since pigs exist.
Did you really think that pig skin was thrown away?

Simple answer:
Yes, we need it that way. (Best way to do it immersively correct.)

Do we really need this yield?
Yes, because otherwise the "Butcher Mechanic" using Multiple Yields Produced will not work.
I can not give the Butcher a Bonus on Food because the Farmer already gives a Bonus on Food.

Simple answer:
Yes, we need it that way. (Technically best way without issues in MYP)

I remember in civ4 where you had to collect as many different food types as you could, and the more the variety you had the bigger the boost you would get to health in your cities. I always liked this mechanic and was constantly trying to supply my cities with every food resource ...
Ressources in City Radius providing Bonusses to the City (but definitely not beyond) is a concept I already work on in "Terrain Overhaul". (Maybe read it.)
It is not just "Health", but also "Happiness", "Construction", "Immigration", "Culture" ...

It is however unrelated to the new Yields I want to add.
So let us please not discuss it in this thread.

... making a more generic profession MERCHANT.
Technically the Profession MUST be 100% specific to the Yields it consumes / produces.
Something like a "generic profession" being used for different combinations of e.g. selling Yields is simply not possible.

For Experts that is a different Story. An Expert can be used for different Professions.
But again, Professions need to be very specific to the Yields they use.

I don't know if this could be done, just a thought.
As explained above: Not with one Profession. (But you could uses several Professions in the Market.)

... replace them all with LIQUOR or SPIRITS?
We would completely kill our production chains for Beer / Wine / Rum / Hooch which is 100% a nogo for me.

D) Wet Logwood. The whole idea is good and realistic. But will you not be able to use it to dye cotton cloth also?
That only works if we have 4 Professions:
  • Indigo Cloth Dyer: Indigo + Cloth --> Coloured Cloth
  • Logwood Cloth Dyer: Logwood + Cloth --> Coloured Cloth
  • Indigo Wool Dyer: Indigo + Wool Cloth --> Coloured Cloth
  • Logwood Wool Dyer: + Wool Cloth --> Coloured Cloth
But I have no issue with it. :dunno:
It is actually realistic to allow all combinations.

... In short, I'm not sold on this idea at all. For ducks and waterfowl it makes some sense, ....
In short before we waste our time: It is necessary to have "Feathers" to allow Birds to be hunted. Otherwise Birds (like e.g. Wild Goose / Wild Ducks) will be farmed.
So let us not waste our time, that is how I will do it. Because I really want to have those Birds hunted and will use Feathers so I can implement that.

but I've never heard of hunting seagulls and parrots for feathers.
That actually happened quite a lot in the early days of colonization where colonies were sometimes smaller than 100 people.
Because Parrot Feathers were extremely expensive and even Gull Feathers (in large Gull Colonies) could be used for padding as well.
You can not think in an "industrial scale" like today where nobody would do such things because today - with large industrial Chicken Farms - it would really be non-sense.

I think the down for pillows and padded clothing usually comes from farm raised birds.
Yes, if you have them that is true.
And I am even considering to introduce them as LiveStock as well.

----------------

But in the early days of Colonization birds could easily be caught or hunted in masses out in the landscape.
It is the same for fur. Today nobody would hunt for fur industrially anymore. Industrial fur animals are simply bred.

Summary:
You again think in "industrial scale" of today or maybe you think of the well established Cities of 1000 or more people after the East Coast was more or less successfully tamed.
However the early Colonies with maybe 100 people were struggling for surival. They hunted and used everything they could. The chickens they had were never killed just for feathers because they needed the eggs.

-----------

I'll be out of town next week but when I come back I plan to release ASAP.
Sounds good. :)

Last edited:
So ok, we have talked about the Yield Packages A) to D).
Let us talk about a few of the others.

E) Digging and Drying Peat: 2 new Yields (Wet Peat and Dried Peat)
(Changes are likely - still trying to work out balance of new Terrains - this is affected.)
Spoiler :

Similar to Marsh, also Wetland (implemented but not published, currently branch "Plains" only) is in a dire state and needs to be improved a bit.
I do not want it to stay so boring and irrelevant for gameplay. Only the low Food is ok for me but I want it to have a 2nd base Yield (except Food) like all other Terrains.
(see "D) Wet Logwood" for comparison.)
Spoiler :

1) Digging Peat

Wet Peat will become the 2nd base Yield of Wetland.
(Flatlands only)
  • 1 new Yield: Wet Peat
  • 1 new Bonus Ressource: Peat (Flatlands only)
  • 1 old Terrain Feature: Bog (Flatlands only - already commited in Plains)
  • 1 new Profession: Peat Digger
  • 1 new Expert: Expert Digger
  • 1 new Improvement: Digging Site
So well yes, for this here almost eveything is new.
(But I already have a lot of it.)

2) Drying Peat

So ok, now that we have Wet Peat, what do we do with it?
Since it is wet, we have to dry it and get Dried Peat.
  • 1 new Yield: Dried Peat
  • new Profession: Peat Drier
  • (old) Expert: Master Drier
  • (old) Special Buidling: Storage House + Upgrades
--------------------------------------

Total Summary "Digging and Drying Peat":

New Yields:

• Wet Peat --> 2nd Base Yield of Wetland (together with Hemp)
  • Dried Peat --> Produced Yield
Otherwise:
  • 2 new Professions
  • 1 Bonus Ressource
  • 1 Improvement
  • 1 new Expert
  • no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We massively increased value of Wetland (by a 2nd Yield like most other Terrains)
  • We have added a bit more diversity and value to "Storage House / Master Drier"
  • We introduced a Yield that may become a strategic Yield (e.g for producing Steal in a later upgrade)

F) Digging Clay: 1 new Yield (Clay - strategic like Stone)
(Changes are unlikely or will be minimal.)
Spoiler :

Well, we are simply not done improving Marsh and Wetland yet.
Unlike the other Terrains they have no "2nd Hill Yield" additionally to Iron Ore (no Coca, no Grapes, no Red Pepper, ...)
Spoiler :

Since Clay is supposed to become strategic like Stone there will be no "Production Chain" involved.
(Simply because Stone also does not have it and I am afraid to damage AI.)
  • 1 new Yield: Clay ("2nd Hill Yield" on Marsh and Wetlands)
  • 1 new Bonus Ressource: Clay Deposit (Hills only)
  • 1 new Profession: Clay Digger
  • 1 Expert: Expert Digger (see above)
  • 1 Improvement: Digging Site (see above)

Total Summary "Digging Clay":

New Yields:

• Clay --> Strategic (like Stone)
Otherwise:
  • 1 new Professions
  • 1 Bonus Ressource
  • no Improvement (Digging Site already introduced before)
  • no new Expert (Expert Digger already introduced before)
  • no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We massively increased value of Marsh and Wetland (by a "2nd Hill Yield" like most other Terrains)
  • We have added a new strategic Yield that we can for Buildings (just like Stone)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 293
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I love almost everything here! Question. Would the yield for feathers be smaller in proportion to equivalent in, say, furs?

Because hunting the birds for one ton of feathers is waaaaaaaay more hunting than the animals for 1 ton of furs. Where a base plot hunter can aquire 3 tons furs, would he hunt 1 ton feathers? Just curious about the realism, though this may be one where suspension of disbelief is needed for function.

Love and agree with everything Ray has said for Pigs.

And I'm about to start a new thread based on a mention of a market/merchant profession, have a thought on using that

Would the yield for feathers be smaller in proportion to equivalent in, say, furs?
If @Nightinggale implements the XML balancing options for MYC / MYP (Multiple Yields Consumed / Multiple Yields Produce) we can balance everything we want.

Because hunting the birds for one ton of feathers ...
In case of feathres - especially for transportation - we simply measure in "volume" of cubic feet (not in tons). ;)
Use your imagination a bit and do not try to think again in "industrial standards" where everything is just about weight.

In fact feathers were really often packaged by volume and not by some strict weight.
The weighting may only have happened for figuring out the price or to prevent cheating.

Try to bring 10 tons of feathres into a small ship without completely ruining the feathers. It is not possible.
In contrary you can easily put 10 tons of furs into a small ship without ruining them.

Just curious about the realism, though this may be one where suspension of disbelief is needed for function.
See my explanation above. You are kind of thinking into wrong directions.
In the old days "volume" and "weight" mattered. Not just "weight".

Last edited:
I love almost everything here! Question. Would the yield for feathers be smaller in proportion to equivalent in, say, furs?

Because hunting the birds for one ton of feathers is waaaaaaaay more hunting than the animals for 1 ton of furs. Where a base plot hunter can aquire 3 tons furs, would he hunt 1 ton feathers? Just curious about the realism, though this may be one where suspension of disbelief is needed for function.

Love and agree with everything Ray has said for Pigs.

And I'm about to start a new thread based on a mention of a market/merchant profession, have a thought on using that

What is heavier - a ton of feathers or a ton of fur? :D
A ton or unit of feather may be far less actual weight than a ton or unit of fur (which historically would not be weighed but counted in pieces or staples) but the volume of a unit of feathers might be the same, as feather may not be pressed together to prevent them from breaking and becoming unusuable for filling pillows, making writing quills or being simply colourful decoration of hats and hairdresses.

Edit: I have been ray´ed by 5 minutes - I obviously have to type faster...

A pig farm stinks. Modern ones far more due to the sheer number of pigs concentrated but smallers ones too.. So I doubt that pigs would be raised in the citycenter but on farms "outside" the city where additionally it would be easier to get them fed (e.g. by having a pigherder have them feast on acorns in a forest)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichelmast
No, because then the balancing of Marsh and Wetland does not work.
Also Livestock-Breeding would not work, which is currently programmed for Plots.
Also I would need to put Buildings slots in Town for it and the space there is too rare to waste it.
I wasn't thinking literally in the town, but more abstractly like the current STABLE building is probably on the outskirts of town. I thought it would give the player more options to have certain livestock that could be produced "in town". For example what if you had a colony on a small island with 3 tiles of land? You could maximize food production in that colony with the "in town" livestock. And if you ever implement chickens in the future they would work the same way as you don't need to devote an entire field to raising chickens.

But if livestock is already programmed to work on plots then I guess it can't be done. And devoting one tile to livestock isn't really that big of a deal so I think raising pigs on marshes is a good solution too.

The major difference is who drinks what. Different settlers drink different beverages according to their social status and demand that beverage on the local market. Mixing all beverages to "liquor" blurishes that distinction.
We would completely kill our production chains for Beer / Wine / Rum / Hooch which is 100% a nogo for me.
Right, I totally forgot about this. I don't always pay enough attention to the domestic demand. Bad idea.

I can not give the Butcher a Bonus on Food because the Farmer already gives a Bonus on Food.
I didn't realize the butcher has to produce 2 different yields. In that case the MYP sounds like a good feature to have.

Technically the Profession MUST be 100% specific to the Yields it consumes / produces.
Something like a "generic profession" being used for different combinations of e.g. selling Yields is simply not possible.

For Experts that is a different Story. An Expert can be used for different Professions.
But again, Professions need to be very specific to the Yields they use.

As explained above: Not with one Profession. (But you could uses several Professions in the Market.)
Oops I got my terminology wrong. I meant a new unit like MASTER MERCHANT, not profession. But ok I won't clutter up the thread talking about that.

It is necessary to have "Feathers" to allow Birds to be hunted. Otherwise Birds (like e.g. Wild Goose / Wild Ducks) will be farmed.
Ok so it's the same situation as with the butcher, the hunter has to produce two different yields. Thanks for explaining that. I always wondered why the food bonus from turkeys goes to the farmer. And I agree it will be much more immersive to allow birds to be hunted.

So ok, we have now talked about the Yield Packages A) to D) and Yield Packages E) and F).
Then let us go on with the next ones because the list is still long ...

G) Roasting Peanuts: 2 new Yields (Peanuts, Roasted Peanuts)
Spoiler :

Some of you may know that branch "Plains" now has the new Terrain "Plains".
The problem is that we currently configured it way overpowered.

Well, it has only 1 cash Yield: Barley (which was removed from other Terrains) instead of 2 cash Yields like most other base Terrains.
So that is not the issue. (It was kind of a try to have one of the base Terrains work differently.)

However, be buffed it to give more Food, more Horses and more Cattle than all other Terrains.
I played a test game with branch "Plains" and it is outrageous how good that Terrain is. It is completely overpowered.

To shorten this discussion:
I will bring Terrain "Plains" back to the same balancing level as e.g. Grasland, Savannah and Prairie.
To do so, it will also need a 2nd base Plot Yield like the others.

1) Planting Peanuts

Peanuts will become the 2nd base Yield of Plains.
(Flatlands only)
  • 1 new Yield: Peanuts
  • Bonus Ressource: Peanut (Flatlands only - already in "Plains")
  • 1 new Profession: Peanut Planter
  • 1 new Expert: Expert Peanut Planter
  • (old) Improvement: Plantation
So well yes, for this here almost eveything is new.

2) Roasting Peanuts

So ok, now that we have Peanuts but of course we want to do something with them.
So hey, why not roast them and use the great Roasting Buildings @Schmiddie has created here.
(Just a pure Plot Yield is always a bit boring.)
  • 1 new Yield: Roasted Peanuts
  • 1 new Profession: Peanut Roaster
  • 1 new Expert: Master Roaster
  • 1 new Special Buidling: Roasting House + Upgrades
So for this also almost everything is new.

Total Summary "Roasting Peanuts":

New Yields:

• Peanuts --> 2nd Base Yield of Plains (together with Barley)
  • Roasted Peanuts --> Produced Yield
Otherwise:
  • 2 new Professions
  • no new Bonus Ressource (already exists in "Plains")
  • no new Improvement
  • 2 new Experts
  • 1 new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • We correctly balance Plains again, which are currently overpowered
  • Plains then also has 2 base Yields like all others
Other nice Side Effects:
  • The great graphics @Schmiddie has created will be used
  • I already have the "Roasting Building" which I will use for another new Yield (soon explained)

Last edited:
I meant a new unit like MASTER MERCHANT
Ok, will adjust the "Fruit" concept and give it a new Expert "Master Merchant" to sell them. :thumbsup:
Will match better than the Expert Trader currently used to create Trade Posts.

Cool. :) I like the more generic name because it represents the slice of the population that were shopkeepers. Then if you ever decide to add more professions to the market building the Master Merchant could get a bonus on those as well.

I wasn't thinking literally in the town, but more abstractly like the current STABLE building is probably on the outskirts of town. I thought it would give the player more options to have certain livestock that could be produced "in town". For example what if you had a colony on a small island with 3 tiles of land? You could maximize food production in that colony with the "in town" livestock. And if you ever implement chickens in the future they would work the same way as you don't need to devote an entire field to raising chickens.

To me that sounds like modern pigfarming and chickenraising - maximum number on minimum space in a stable. "Cage Hens".
https://img3.mashed.com/img/gallery...dis-goldhen-eggs-make-you-sick-1593612278.jpg

Historical breeding of pigs and chickens needed more space as the farmers could not afford to always feed their animals bought powerfeed and relied on the chicken to e.g. catch rainworms on their own and the pigs to find acorns or roots. So they need their own patch of land
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP._wQAFTsUj1J0OvVw6wwb2gHaCe?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

In addition pigs need mud to bath in to protect their skin if they are more often outside than inside (unlike nowadays pigs that rarely see the sunlight).

@ConjurerDragon is correct.

Modern "Chicken Breeding" in stables is also an industrial concept of industrial / modern age.
It was only made possible due to anti-biotics and heavily industrialized chicken food.

In old days of the 16th century it was not possible to breed chicken without enough space fort them to walk outside on grass.
They would simply have become sick from living too close together or would have died from mal-nutrition.

Most families in villages - which was the normal way of living in 16th century - had about 10 to 20 chickens on their own.
Just to get some eggs, a bit of chicken meet every few weeks and then also a bit of feathers, which they collected almost a full year to maybe make one single new pillow.

Having even just a few dozens of them was an extremely difficult thing because they would run around outside in many groups that would be hard to control and to bring back to the stable.
It was also extremely risky because a single fox slipping into a chicken stable and getting into blood maddness could get you all of them killed in one single night.

Chicken could simply not be properly protected in large masses - that you would need for an industrialized scale - because they were too vulnerable.
On the contrary e.g. Cattle, Sheep or Horses were easier to protect because they were bigger animals that e.g. did not have to fear a fox and were easier to industrialize because they e.g. gave more flesh per animal.

Nobody in those day could even imagine that large scale chicken breeding of thousands of chicken per stable would ever be possible.

----

Summary:

When we discuss game concepts for WTP, please abandon all these "modern ideas" shaped by industrialization.
The early ages of Colonization had really nothing to do with the early age of Industrialization or modern times.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking of modern factory farming, I know that's not how it used to be done. If anything I'm relating it to hobby farming which is not that different from the traditional way.

The main distinction I'm trying to make is not indoors vs outdoors, it's space. Grazing animals require huge amounts of land and they have to be constantly moved from place to place so they don't overgraze one area. Chickens on the other hand require a relatively small amount of space.

I guess it really just comes down to scale. How much land does a single tile represent? It all depends on the map size. So either way is accurate.

Anyway Ray already said it can't be done and I don't feel that strongly about it so I'll drop it. I just wanted to explain the idea fully.

So ok now that we have clarified these:
Yield Packages A) to D)
Yield Packages E) and F)
Yield Package G)

-----

(11 + 3 + 2) Yields = 16 Yields so far.
But we are simply not done yet. :dunno:

So let us clarify the next pacakge:

H) Rice and Cassave: 2 new Yields (Rice, Cassave)

Maybe let me explain a few words about "Cassava" because some people may simply not know it.
(It is know by many other names worldwide: Manioc, Tapioca, Yucca, ... but it is basically always the same plant.)

1. Cassava is a indigenous American plant known by every Central American / Southern American / Carribean nation (and of course in the past by all the tribes).
2. It is so wide spread in Central America / Southern America / Carribic that the exact origin can only be guessed. (Most likely west-central Brazil.)
3. It was thus already discovered / known by the first conquistadors and became used soon as a cash Yield - heavily traded e.g. with Africa and Asia by the Portuguese- and also as Slave Food.
4. Even today Cassava is the third-largest source of food carbohydrates in the tropics, after rice and maize. Sometimes called "Bread of the Tropics".

So maybe also a few words about "Rice".
(Because although everybody knows it and most likely regularly eats it as well, many probably not know all facts.)

1. Although Rice is of course indigenous to Asia and Africa some sorts of wild rice are also indigenous to the New World (in fact North America).
2. However, large scale commercial planations and trade with rice only kick-started after African Rice was introduced to the 13 colonies. (First colony was Virigina to be exact.)
3. Later the largest planations and major trade with rice slowly but surely shifted to the Mid-West states where the climate was better suited.
4. Soon later it was also successfully introduced to Central and South America because the plant loves wetlands and marshes.
5. Rice planations were a pure Slave labour business because the work conditions were not just unhealthy but basically lethal.
6. None the less Rice became a major cash crop and was also know as a wide spread slave food - since white colonialists often simply prefered white bread, potatoes, ...

So what do these plants have in common:

1. Indigenous to the New World and extremely wide spread
2. Often planted in wet terrains that other crops do not like.
3. Important cash crop (especially when trading with Africa)
4. Strong usage of slave labour (and also used as slave food)
5. Today still to be considered as top crops for food in the world.

---------

So well, enough history, let us get to the game concepts and Yields because it is actually simple.

Spoiler :

First of all:
What is the goal of introducing Rice and Cassava?

Currently:
  • Terrain Wetland still has Yield Hemp just like Terrain Grasland.
  • Terrain Marsh still has Yield Sugar just like Terrain Savannah.
But why should they share these Cash Yields with other Terrains and not be completely distinct?
For me every single Terrain should have its own distinct Cash Yields that no other Terrain has.
(Obviously strategic Yields like Food, Timber, Stone, Iron Ore, ... must be excluded from such a rule.)

Solution:
  • Wetland will get Rice instead of Hemp.
  • Marsh will get Cassava instead of Sugar.
However we will make it special. ;)
Both of those are "Cash Yield" and "Food Yield".
Havesting Rice or Cassava will also give Food additionally.

Additional change:

Since harvesting Rice or Cassava already generates also Food (using Multiple Yields per Profession),
the lousy +1 Food can be removed from Plot because nobody would ever do normal "Food Farming" there instead.

Edit:
May need to consider this for the city center plot? :think:
Or maybe change the logic of the base plot to also use MYP?

--------------------------------

1) Rice Planting

Rice will become the prime base Yield of Wetland.
(Flatlands only)
  • 1 new Yield: Rice (+ Food)
  • 1 Bonus Ressource: Rice Fields (Flatlands only already exists in Plains)
  • 1 new Profession: Rice Planter
  • 1 Expert: Expert Rice Planter (It is a Cash Yield and deserves an Expert of its own)
  • (old) Improvement: Planation
--------------------------------

2) Casava Planting

Cassava will become the prime base Yield of Marsh.
(Flatlands only)
  • 1 new Yield: Casava (+ Food)
  • 1 Bonus Ressource: Cassava Fields (Flatlands only already exists in Plains)
  • 1 new Profession: Cassava Planter
  • 1 Expert: Expert Cassava Planter (It is a Cash Yield and deserves an Expert of its own)
  • (old) Improvement: Planation

Total Summary "Rice and Cassava":

New Yields:

• Rice --> prime base Yield of Wetland (also giving Food by MYP)
  • Cassava --> prime base Yield of Marsh (also giving Food by MYP)
Otherwise:
  • 2 new Professions
  • no new Bonus Ressource (both already exist in "Plains")
  • no new Improvement
  • 2 new Experts
  • no new Building
Balancing Effects:
  • Finally Marsh and Wetland have become completely independent of Savannah and Grassland.
  • Rice and Cassava now also allow to feed a population in such Terrains.
  • They are now also interesting for gameplay on their own.

Last edited:
Having Goats on Hills in Terrain Taiga / Terrain Tundra so they could have at least a little bit of LiveStockBreeding ? :think:
(Giving Hides when slaughtered like Cattle?)

Because that is actually historically correct.
They were brought e.g. to Canada or generally Great Lakes Region for such purposes.

Comment / Explanation:
I am currently working on the balancing of Terrain Taiga / Terrain Tundra.
Not yet really happy how they work in the game.

Credits for graphics:
Found them in Caveman2Cosmos mod.
(Do not know the original creator but I did not create or modify them myself.)

Attachments

• Goat.JPG
    Goat.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Reactions: nci
Sometimes progress slow, then gets light speed. :undecide:

Wish to have more time for the forum.
There would be much to write, but barely read all. :rolleyes:

Sometimes progress slow, then gets light speed. :undecide:
It depends on my availability and motivation. :dunno:
The last 3 days I took vacation and was modding several hours each day.

@Nightinggale
Could you prioritize this here a bit? I will probably need it in a few weeks.
(After I finishd the basic "Terrain Overhaul", I would need it for the "Yield Overhaul".)

@Nightinggale
Could you prioritize this here a bit? I will probably need it in a few weeks.
(After I finishd the basic "Terrain Overhaul", I would need it for the "Yield Overhaul".)
We are talking about professions providing multiple inputs and outputs, each with a weight, right? Yeah it would make sense to make that prior to setting up more professions.

I'm sorry my progress currently appear to be slow. My modding hours have dropped due to unrelated activities and the code I'm currently working on is the savegame code for EnumMaps. It currently isn't human readable and not expandable. I'm almost done fixing that, but I had to come up with a clean workaround for the fact that partial specialization isn't allowed according to the C++ standard (they mistakenly thought it wouldn't be useful). Also since it's savegame code, making it work 99% of the time isn't good enough. It has to work perfectly every single time, which is why this task can't be rushed.

We are talking about professions providing multiple inputs and outputs, each with a weight, right?
Correct. :thumbsup:

I am just giving examples that I would try for balancing.

The adjusting possibilities of Multiple Yields Consumed are not even that important to me.
The adjusting possibilities or Multiple Yields Produced are most important for balancing.

-----------

For Multiple Yields Consumed (Building) I would like to be able to configure something like this:

e.g. Colouring Cloth:
Cotton + 0.5 (1/2) Indigo ---> Coloured Cloth
(Alway the higher number is dominating - because decimals currently do not work.)

-----------

Comment:
"Multiple Yields Consumed (Plot)" does simply not exist.
Plot Professions do not consume anything - at least not currently.

-----------

For Multiple Yields Produced (Building) I would also like to be able to configure something like this.

e.g. Slaughtering:
Cattle --> Hides + 0.75 Food (3/4)
(Again, the higher number is dominating - because decimals currently do not work.)

-----------

For Multiple Yields Produced (Plot) I would also like to be able to configure something like this.

e.g. Hunting Fur Animals:
Fur Yield on Plot --> Furs + 0.66 Food (2/3)

e.g. Hunting Birds:
Feather Yield on Plot --> Feathers + 0,5 Food. (1/5)

We have clarified these so far:
Yield Packages A) to D)
Yield Packages E) and F)
Yield Package G)
Yield Pacakge H)

But sorry, we are simply not yet done. :dunno:

For example in branch "Plains" I introduced Terrain "Shrublands" recently. (see here)
And thus Shrublands needs to become interesting for gameplay by getting its own Yields as well.

For everybody interested in historical correctness of those, simply read in Wikipedia. :thumbsup:
(I need to reduce my time writing and explaining so I have more time for actually modding.)

I) Olive Oil, Yerba de Coca and Vanilla: 6 new Yields (Olives, Olive Oil, Yerba Leaves, Yerba de Coca, Vanilla Pods, Vanilla)

Spoiler :

The Plot Yields:
  • 1st Flatland Yield: Olives (Historically and even today infact a very important cash crop in Argentinia / Peru / ...)
  • 2nd Flatland Yield: Yerba Leaves (Historicall and even today Yerba is infact an important cash crop in Argentinia / Paraguay, Brazil / ...)
  • Hil Yield: Vanilla Pods (indigenous Southern and Central American plant, relatively rare but highly valuable)
Summarized:
  • 3 new Profession: Olive Planter, Yerba Collector, Vanilla Planter
  • 2 new Expert, 1 old Experts: Expert Olive Planter, Expert Coca and Yerba Collector (renamed), Expert Vanilla Planter
  • 2 old Improvements: Plantation and Collectors Post
  • 3 new Bonus Ressoruces: Olive Plants, Yerba Plants, Vanilla Plants (all of them already created)
-----------------

The Breeding Yields:
(Not to be discussed in detail here - detailed concept still in work)
  • Flatland: Poultry (More about it in a following package about new "LiveStock Yields")
  • Hills: Goats (More about it in a following package about new "LiveStock Yields")

-----------------

The Produced Yields:

(no new Buildings, trying to reuse existing ones with Multiple Professions per Building)
  • Olive Oil (produced of Olives) in Special Building Oil House by Profession Oil Presser and Expert Master Oil Presser .
----
  • Yerba de Coca (produced of Yerba Leaves and Coca Leaves) in Special Building Tobacco House by Profession Yerba de Coca Trader and Expert Master Tobacco Trader.
(Renamed to Tobacco and Yerba House and Master Tobacco and Yerba Trader or something like that. --> Need to save Building Slots and they are historically very closely related.)

----

• Browned Vanilla (produced of Vanilla Pods) in Special Building Roaster's House (alrady introduced for Roasting Peanuts) by Profession Vanilla Trader and Expert Master Roaster.
(So now the Expert and the Speciail Buildings for Roasting have fully become Multiple Yields per Building.)

Summarzized:

• 3 new Professions
  • not a single new Expert
  • not a single new Building

-----------------

Total Summary "Olive Oil, Yerba de Coca and Vanilla":

New Yields:

• Olives, Olive Oil
  • Yerba Leaves, Yerba de Coca (also using Coca)
  • Vanilla Pods, Browned Vanilla
Otherwise:

• 6 new Professions
  • 3 new Bonus Ressource (all already created)
  • no new Improvement
  • 2 new Experts
  • 1 new Building
Balancing Effects:

• 2 Buildings (Tobacco House, Roaster's House) become Multiple Yields per Building
  • Prepared Building "Oil Press" which will be needed for next Yield Package
  • Expert Coca Planter gets renamed and more valuable because also used for Yerba
  • One complete new Terrain "Shrubland" fully balanced and interestingly integrated in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom