1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for New Player

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Milae, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Milae

Milae Prince

Never played this before I want to try out a single player game for a youtube series. Can anyone give advice on which mod/modmods I should get?

2. Tielby

Tielby Prince

There are a handful of modmods which are still being actively improved. The ones I play are More Naval AI (which is way more than just naval AI at this point) and ExtraModMod. They are both great and stable. I'm 100% sure MagisterModmod is also great, but I haven't played it myself.

Milae likes this.
  3. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Honestly I'd just start with the base FFH and play the scenarios a bit.

4. Milae

Milae Prince

5. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

6. PPQ_Purple

Yes, that one. And as BI said don't worry about any bugs. There aren't any that will mess up your game. Really, when it comes to bugs it's the modmods, especially those with huge graphical packs made by madmen who don't care about memory that are the problem.

7. Dracosolon

Dracosolon Warlord

Absolutely play More Naval AI first, the other modmods often add a ton of content that can easily overwhelm. Base FFH is fine too but there's a couple of minor bugs that need an elusive patch.

I'd avoid those outside of Gift of Kylorin for a tutorial on the spell system. Most of them are pretty long and grindy, and are IMHO not the best introduction to the lore (that would be the Age of Ice scenario in BTS, though that one is also relatively difficult if you don't know what you're doing).

My suggestion would be to start on a regular, smaller map. Good beginner civs are:
    -The Hippus (straightforward vanilla civ, just pick mounted units techs and go to town on your enemies),
    -The Grigori (no need to learn the religion system yet, Adventurers are a useful military crutch that will also teach you the value of the Hero promotion),
    -The Lanun on a water map (easy mode).

8. PPQ_Purple

Honestly I find the story as delivered by the scenarios (if you can get them to run without crashing) to be the best and most fun part of the whole experience. It's literally a story based campaign in CIV.