Advice for New Player

There are a handful of modmods which are still being actively improved. The ones I play are More Naval AI (which is way more than just naval AI at this point) and ExtraModMod. They are both great and stable. I'm 100% sure MagisterModmod is also great, but I haven't played it myself.

Honestly I'd just start with the base FFH and play the scenarios a bit.

When you say the base FFH, do you mean the one here? https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ffh2-bug-thread.308020/

It says on the new player guide that bugs aren't being fixed.
Yes, that one. And as BI said don't worry about any bugs. There aren't any that will mess up your game. Really, when it comes to bugs it's the modmods, especially those with huge graphical packs made by madmen who don't care about memory that are the problem.

Absolutely play More Naval AI first, the other modmods often add a ton of content that can easily overwhelm. Base FFH is fine too but there's a couple of minor bugs that need an elusive patch.

Honestly I'd just start with the base FFH and play the scenarios a bit.

I'd avoid those outside of Gift of Kylorin for a tutorial on the spell system. Most of them are pretty long and grindy, and are IMHO not the best introduction to the lore (that would be the Age of Ice scenario in BTS, though that one is also relatively difficult if you don't know what you're doing).

My suggestion would be to start on a regular, smaller map. Good beginner civs are:
-The Hippus (straightforward vanilla civ, just pick mounted units techs and go to town on your enemies),
-The Grigori (no need to learn the religion system yet, Adventurers are a useful military crutch that will also teach you the value of the Hero promotion),
-The Lanun on a water map (easy mode).

Honestly I find the story as delivered by the scenarios (if you can get them to run without crashing) to be the best and most fun part of the whole experience. It's literally a story based campaign in CIV.

Top Bottom