Affinities As Yields

If you want sci fi quotes, there is a really cool mod on the workshop that replaces the text with SMAC quotes and datalink entries. For example, pioneering is now replaced with Morgan's quote about the difficulty of setting up infrastructure from scratch on a new world. Really adds a ton of flavor to the game.

As for quests, this mod does change up several building quests, particularly the clinic, cyrtonursury, pharmalab, recycler, autoplant, labratory, and network just to name a few. Essentially, it gets rid of the boring choices and instead adds affinity points per turn from that building, which definitely sets up some difficult choices if you really need affinity early game. For instance, one game I took +1 supremacy from pharmalabs instead of +1 health because I was worried about my neighbors and needed to rank up my affinity faster.

As for the newest version of the mod, I played a game on quick speed and noticed that literally everyone went Supremacy. No idea why, as typically Purity or Harmony are the most picked. Not sure if that was just random chance or what, but I will definitely give the mod another try and see what happens. Thanks again for the awesome mod!

Might I ask what are the costs to level up affinity? I plan on making a mod in a few weeks that adds techs, decreases (but doesn't eliminate) affinity points from techs, increases the cost of leveling up affinity, adds hybrid great persons, gives each affinity level a modest perk, and hopefully adds affinity levels 19-24.

The cost to get to each affinity level from the previous one are in the Affinity_Levels table in CivBEAffinities.xml:
Code:
  <Row> 
    [b]<AffinityValueNeededAsDominant>10</AffinityValueNeededAsDominant>[/b]
    [b]<AffinityValueNeededAsNonDominant>10</AffinityValueNeededAsNonDominant>[/b]
    <HarmonyFlavorText>TXT_KEY_AFFINITY_LEVEL_UP_FLAVOR_HARMONY_1</HarmonyFlavorText> 
    <HarmonyFlavorAudio>AS2D_NARRATOR_SPEECH_AFFINITY_HARMONY_01</HarmonyFlavorAudio> 
    <PurityFlavorText>TXT_KEY_AFFINITY_LEVEL_UP_FLAVOR_PURITY_1</PurityFlavorText> 
    <PurityFlavorAudio>AS2D_NARRATOR_SPEECH_AFFINITY_PURITY_01</PurityFlavorAudio> 
    <SupremacyFlavorText>TXT_KEY_AFFINITY_LEVEL_UP_FLAVOR_SUPREMACY_1</SupremacyFlavorText> 
    <SupremacyFlavorAudio>AS2D_NARRATOR_SPEECH_AFFINITY_SUPREMACY_01</SupremacyFlavorAudio> 
  </Row>

So you'd want to update those rows with larger numbers to increase the cost to level up, and type in whatever numbers you want when defining new rows for levels 19-24.

AAY actually uses an SQl script to update these, which has the added benefit that it will also update any extra affinity levels added by other mods (assuming said mod loads before AAY):
Code:
UPDATE Affinity_Levels SET AffinityValueNeededAsDominant = ROUND( 10 * ID * (ID +1) );
-- note: ID = level

UPDATE Affinity_Levels SET AffinityValueNeededAsNonDominant = ROUND( AffinityValueNeededAsDominant * 1.5 );

(v49)
I'm hitting a gamebreaking bug.

When I get my first affinity level in any affinity, I'm told I have two unit classes to upgrade. However the screen where you perform such upgrades shows uncompleted modding: the unit isn't shown, the unit name displays "$INPROGRESS AREA$", and other signs of null content.

What makes it game-breaking is that neither the "Accept Upgrade" nor the "Ignore" buttons work. You can get back to the main screen (with Escape), but you can't end your turn without completing or ignoring this upgrade.

Save file attached.

Attachments

• Daoming Sochua_TURN 24.CivBESave
    801.7 KB · Views: 257
Are you playing with BERT or vanilla? I tried a few games with mods on updated vanilla, and had that bug come up a lot. Can't remember if Affinity as Yields was one, but I'm pretty sure there's a vanilla specific version of the mod up on the workshop.

Are you playing with BERT or vanilla? I tried a few games with mods on updated vanilla, and had that bug come up a lot. Can't remember if Affinity as Yields was one, but I'm pretty sure there's a vanilla specific version of the mod up on the workshop.

I'm playing with BERT, and the BERT-specific version of this mod.

Ah, it was probably broken by that patch the other day. I'll look into it.

-EDIT Nope, still works after the 29/10/15 patch, so that's not the problem.

Looking at your save file though, it seems you're trying to use both Awesome Affinities and ImprovedAffinity in addition to AAY. So far as I know neither of those mods are compatible with BERT (and I'm not 100% sure they're compatible with each other), so either one of those could be causing your problem.

Try starting a game using ONLY Affinity As Yields, no other mods, and see if that works.

Speaking from experience, I know for a fact that Awesome Affinities and Improved Affinities are incompatible with each other and that both broke in Civilization Beyond Earth from the patch that came the week before Rising Tide.

Oh I thought they were required for this mod. Thanks, I'll try again.

Awesome Affinities itself is not even updated for Rising Tide yet. :)

I really really like the concept of your mod HandyVac. Really.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to enable it so that the filters in the tech web show the appropriate techs when selecting the affinities? Or is that a limitation that you've run into?

Ok to update on that.

I didn't get very far into the mod. My explorers had a myriad of new action buttons on them, none of which really made sense (such as airlifting or building sea walls in the first turn of the game)

But there was no button to set up expeditions and my starting explorer had an upgrade for a bonus in my own territory that didn't work. It did make a cute sound when I actioned it though.

Any ideas?

Update: Ok, the mod has the same issue as Polycrates' 'Tidal Balance' mod where due to having modded it so that workers can build forests, you now need to load the mod, cancel the set up then press ok again to make the UI load properly. It's a pretty sad bug. Is the building forests aspect worth it? Or are there other features in the mod which are affecting this?

I really really like the concept of your mod HandyVac. Really.

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to enable it so that the filters in the tech web show the appropriate techs when selecting the affinities? Or is that a limitation that you've run into?

Yes, the affinity filters on the techweb are modified in AAY, and will highlight techs which unlock affinity-yielding buildings and improvements.

If you're trying to use another UI mod at the same time (e.g. More Tech Filters or User Interface Tweaks) then it's possible that will cause a conflict and prevent you getting the AAY version of the tech filters. In which case, don't use that other mod.

Update: Ok, the mod has the same issue as Polycrates' 'Tidal Balance' mod where due to having modded it so that workers can build forests, you now need to load the mod, cancel the set up then press ok again to make the UI load properly. It's a pretty sad bug. Is the building forests aspect worth it? Or are there other features in the mod which are affecting this?
Yeah, the near-ubiquitous unit action panel bug affects this mod too. It affects so many different mods (anything that changes promotions or build actions) that in my opinion it's not worth even trying to avoid. Just consider it an inherant quirk of Civ BE that you always need to double-load mods.

Sounds good.

I wasn't using any other mods, so I think there may be a bug with your filters? I think they were showing the old tech affinity boosts. But don't quote me on that.

Sounds good.

I wasn't using any other mods, so I think there may be a bug with your filters? I think they were showing the old tech affinity boosts. But don't quote me on that.

The filters are working fine for me, in both the vanilla and bert versions. Which are you using?.

If you could post some screenshots showing which techs (if any) are highlighted when you select the purity, supremacy and harmony filter then that might help me figure out what's going on.

I have to say, this is one of the best mods I have ever played.
Completely changes the whole game mechanics.

I wish the developers had thought of this.

1 issue I think I am having (hard to actually to see one way or the other) is that I don't think the science bonus from killing aliens is working now. I am getting some bonus, but I don't think I am getting it all.

1 issue I think I am having (hard to actually to see one way or the other) is that I don't think the science bonus from killing aliens is working now. I am getting some bonus, but I don't think I am getting it all.
This mod doesn't change science from alien kills in any way, so that's probably just your imagination. Remember that the amount of science depends on the alien's combat strength, which is different in each biome with RT.

Hi

As requested, I created an account and share my bug with affinity per turn that doesn't work.

Here's the description of the problem.

I launch a game with Affinity as Yield, no other mod. (DLC RT and exoplanets map pack)
Turn1: Found City + building Old Earth Relic
Turn5: Old earth relic complete
Turn5-??: No affinity XP gained per turn
+1 produced (purity) each turn Colony-wide shown, but the xp/30 stays at 0/30 towards next level after a few turns. It doesn't seem to increase at all.

I'll send you a PM to my dropbox with in it :

-Turn 5 savegame
-Turn 10 savegame
-Lua file from logs

I don't know if the problem comes from me or the mod, or if I don't understand how it's supposed to work myself, but I stay at your disposal if you have further questions or whatever could interest you. You can contact me on steam (Kiukushagi), I won't hang around here much.

Have a good day !

Thanks for uploading that Nigor.

From looking in your log file it seems the mod's not working properly because the game is unable to find and load some of the mod's files.

This could be because it never downloaded properly in the first place, in which case I suggest unsubscribing from the mod on Steam, deleting the "Affinity As Yields (v 49)" folder from your hard drive, then re-subscribing or downloading from civfanatics.

It could also be because you have a non-english character in your windows username, since I've heard that can prevent the game from following a file path properly. You could try creating a different windows user account on your computer and playing the game from that, though I realise that's a bit of a hassle.

Hope that helps.
(Will post this reply on Steam Workshop too)

Well it was my bad then ! Thanks for acting like tech support even though it's not your job, I'll try that !

Sorry for the disturbance and have a great day

Top Bottom