Afterworld Terrain

Ajidica

High Quality Person
If I am to use the Afterworld terrain in a mod (the walls and doors), is there any python that I need to make the doors open when a unit enters that tile, or is it all in the XML? (If it is xml, I can figure it out)

Also, is the ranged attack that the Gravebringers have controlled in Python or XML?

Basicly what I am doing is trying to merge the Afterworld terrain and feel with Dales Combat Mod. Also, how much of the Afterworld (non-combat or 'quests') uses python?

I've put afterworld units in my mod and they work great. They still have the one way vision and a ranged attack (see screenshot). I think I've seen an XML tag for turning the one way vision on and off. The ranged attack is a combination of XML and just what comes in the Nif and Kfm. Same with the Assault Mech from Next War. I wanted to make z raised spaceships (from Final Frontier) drop little bombs like the Assault Mech ranged attack but haven't mastered NifScope fully enough to do so. There's only so many places I can type stuff in. Maybe just rename an effect or something, haven't gotten to it.

I've used afterworld terrain textures, and they work great for other planets, though they don't all mix together at the edges. Haven't messed with the walls. I'll bet the doors involve some python at least.

Attachments

• afterburn.jpg
    afterburn.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 236
Thanks. I was expecting the Doors to use python. I was hoping they would be KFM based, but I can do python, it would just be cutting and pasting.

EDIT: I found in the XML the tag that the doors use to open, its called <OnUnitMove> or something like that.

Probably one of the dumbest possible questions, but in normal BTS the <bLineOfSight> tag isnt in the xml. But since it is in the schema, to use it do I just have to put that tag into the units xml entry, or do I have to do something special as not to mess the file up?

If this the tag-name, then yes, i think, just adding it, will do it (if it's no dummy-tag without a function).
There are some more tags, which are mentioned in the schema, but don't appear in the .xmls, when they are not needed, like the help-tags for buildings and units.

Thanks. I was assuming that, but I have had problems before where BTS would crash massivly due to an XML xhange that I made.

It should work. Once I have a working alpha version of the mod, I'll upload it. Basicly it will be a more free form version of Afterworld with tech development, other factions. (There are no 'go to x place' quests, the AI should be able to handle it.) Do you know if it is possible to handle in Python limiting how big a stack can get? Eg: only one mechanized unit can be in a tile, or 4 non-mechanized units. I'm not asking for the coding, just if you think it can be done.

I think jeckel did something to that effect, limiting units on tiles. However, i'm not sure if it could be made to distinguish mechanized/nonmechanized units in the counting though (but what do i know, i'm a pytho/c++ n00b).

You mean JUnitSpace.
It's an SDK-component for 3.17, and i would suggest to use it, because if you want to try it in python, you would have to override a sdk-function (UnitCannotMoveIntoCallback, but i don't know exactly, how to do it), which will, in this case, extremly slow down your mod.
Overriding sdk-functions sucks performance (in one thread it was mentioned), and to check for every unit...

Crap, I'm already using DCM as a base. Looks like that will have to wait until the mod is done or until I know C++(When that comes, hell will have frozen over) . Thanks.

Top Bottom