• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

AG6 - The OCC Space Race (Monarch)

Couple Lurker Questions:
  1. How much RL Time does this game have invested? (Pondering ways to squeeze a little bit of civ in.:) )
  2. What do you think is the biggest percent time spent per turn?
  3. Can we get a screenshot of your empire? Mostly, I'm interested in how Pink Civ has pushed your cultural borders all the way to your second radius. Is this common in OCCs? I would think at least this one city could fend off most culture, having established the boundaries long before.
Thanks for indulging me.

1/2. OCC doesn't cost much time. We know what to build and what to research based on our discussion. You should normally finish 10 turns within 30 minutes.

3. I don't have a screenshot right now (and I don't think much has changed from the previous screenshot). Note in this game we are not going for culture and we deliberately avoid too much culture.

Still I found that even in a game where I do go for culture that I mostly end up with the 21 squares which I need to work the lands. The others are simply not automatically yours.

EDIT: Such games cost me somewhere between 2 hours and 8 hours mostly. Of which 30% behind the screen and the rest figuring out what to do. Conquests take more time naturally. Culture mostly isn't very time consuming.

Time per turn: I agree with Microbe, but conquests take longer :)

Here's the city:

Originally posted by Aggie
Changed it! Carlos could take it as well and swap with you. Or even Jack if he has the time. Normally we would all play one final turn until it ends.

Carlos/Jack, if you can take it today please swap with me. I love this game but I'm stuck with AG3 and I don't want to interrupt it as it takes too long to load the save. ;)

I'll play this one tomorrow.

Here it is, ready for you :).

IHT: No changes.

1866 AD (1) Offshore plant comes in and we mobilize. SS Engine started.

1868 AD (2) Renew spices and gems deal from Egypt for 400 gold. Bizarrely, I can't upgrade our infantry to MI ? :confused:. Pollution hits and is instantly cleaned.

1870 AD (3) More pollution; renew uranium from Egypt for 20gpt.

1872 AD (4) Decline the UN vote.

1874 AD (5) French start the Internet too

1876 AD (6) Pick up Amphib War (plus iron and a WM) from Sumeria for Miniaturization, the flog it to Egypt for 1530 gold (plus oil and coal). Flog it to the French for WM+9 gold just so they'll focus their resources on techs useful to us.

For some reason, I can upgrade our infantries now :crazyeyes:. Do so, just in case.

1878 AD (7) Sumerians boot us (I'd forgotten we had troops there). Send over a transport to bring the boys home.

1880 AD (8) Pollution; renew Rubber from Egypt for 300 gold.

1882 AD (9) SS Engine completed, start on Thrusters.

1886 AD (11) Science down to 10% for Superconductor next turn.

1888 AD (12) Superconductor comes in, go for Nuclear Power next due in 12 at -48gpt.

1890 AD (13) SS Thrusters done, Fuel Cells next

1894 AD (15) Fuel cells complete, Life Support System due next. Egypt has somehow acquired Satellites (I suspect they stole it) so I also give it to the French for 290 gold. Someone research ecology and Synth Fibers already !

We're at 13,630 culture, so we won't lose by that. Launch will take 50 turns at most (if we have to research everything ourselves) so chances are I won't see it again. Thanks for letting me play in a rather fun variant :).

save

microbe: I won't manage tonight. Go!

I'll be back in 8 hours, if you do NOT post a got it by then I'll grab it ;)

jack: you militant bastard! Mobilizing! what good has that done the NLs ever in history??????

;)

Hey, we only ever tried it once, too . Just wait till next time :D.

We actually did so well on containing culture explosion that we might not even have needed to do it to remain under 20K, but why take chances ?

Originally posted by ControlFreak
Couple Lurker Questions:
Can we get a screenshot of your empire? Mostly, I'm interested in how Pink Civ has pushed your cultural borders all the way to your second radius. Is this common in OCCs? I would think at least this one city could fend off most culture, having established the boundaries long before.

And a lurker response. :)

When two cities are fighting over control of a tile, local culture is compared only for those tiles that are the same "ring" from each city. For all other cases, the tile goes to whichever city would have it in a lower rank ring. :confused:

More simply: While Constantinople certainly has more culture than the French city (or any of the Egyptian cities in the screenshot), tiles that are 3rd ring (culture=100 expansion) to Constantinople, but are 2nd ring (culture=10 expansion) to the other cities, are controlled by the other cities. Regardless of the relative cultures. This is true for all rings, not just the 2nd or 3rd.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by jack merchant
..Bizarrely, I can't upgrade our infantry to MI ? :confused:

1876 AD (6) Pick up Amphib War (plus iron and a WM) from Sumeria for Miniaturization, the flog it to Egypt for 1530 gold (plus oil and coal).

For some reason, I can upgrade our infantries now :crazyeye:.
The reason is oil...

Originally posted by T_McC
And a lurker response. :)

When two cities are fighting over control of a tile, local culture is compared only for those tiles that are the same "ring" from each city. For all other cases, the tile goes to whichever city would have it in a lower rank ring. :confused:

I believe you are right, but I think this model is flawed.

The sensible culture model:

1. If a city has culture X, in the first ring each tile has culture X, in the second ring it has X/10, and so on. If a tile has culture >= 1, then the tile falls into the culture border. This explains how the border expands.

2. A tile's culture is the sum of all cities culture of that CIV on this tile. So if a tile falls in city A's 2nd ring and city B's 3rd ring, it's culture is A/10+B/100.

3. A tile belongs to the CIV who has the biggest culture on it (which has to be at least 1 otherwise it doesn't belong to anyone).

This means if a city A has culture 10000, a competing city B has culture 10, if a tile belongs to A's 3rd ring and B's 2nd ring, A has 100 culture on it and B has 1, so this tile should belong to A.

Thanks for all your responses and especially T_McC for the "rules" of borders. I like your way better too, microbe, but its important to know how the game thinks. And I'm not sure a Huge culture city should completely envelope a small no culture city, thus starving it at size 1.

This game is in the bag. GJ everybody.:goodjob:

For a twist, you should add a rule that you can't be in mobilization when you launch. That means declaring and staying at war long enough to get your peace back. With nukes :nuke: available, MPPs among the AI and only one city, you could lose your ship and be in trouble.:devil2:

I read AG3's title up to the ultra big map part and decided I didn't have enough time to even read the thread.:lol:

Now, where did that OCC war academy article go....:mischief:

Top Bottom