Age Of Empires II

Good strategy in single player (AI is so stupid...).

And that strategy in Regicide where you wall all the enters but one and on the last one you build a labirinth with castles on the side firing arrows and killing all that hypnotised guys that insist to go and attack your's king castle? I love that one :lol:

Usually on the hardest difficulty levels the computer isn't that bad...

Well I don't play Regicide because its not as good as the random game...

I played a few games and didn't like the way that you just had to have one successful attack which in my games turned into a random map game because you still need to destroy their defences...

It was so cool to play Mongols and do that:
You scout to find the easiest path
Send Mangudais, Pikeman, monks, Trebs, Rams with champs and Hussars
Enter in mass, kill the King, and heal units while defending from last units.

So cool... :cool:

Mongols were best!!!

Random was similar, but make us have to destroy EVERYTHING, and that got very boring sometimes...

Especially against guys with architects...

just responding to some of the things i've read in this thread about this game and wanted to clear some things up: first the average aoe2 game on standard setts (reveal map normal, pop 200, arabia, low resources, random game) takes about 30mins. The dominate civs in the game are the Huns, Aztecs, Mayans, Mongols, Vikings but every civ has it's strengths. if you want to anihilate the computer on hardest or any other settings just get to the feudal age in about 11mins with 25 villagers and then mine stone and build towers around your enemy. in multiplayer towers are generally useless in the imperial age and you're much better off making trebuchets instead of bombard cannons. however, having 20 trebuchets is a COMPLETE waste of resources, since the trebuchet outranges any building you only need probably 3 trebuchets at the most. also trebuchets are NOT good archer killers they exist nearly exclusivly to kill buildings, for archers try a skirmisher/knight combo. the best units in the game (based on cost in resources and overall effectiveness) are the hussar, and the skirmisher. 120 paladins is impossible to make against any good player. you don't have enough time to make 120 paladins against any good player because in a competitive game the combat starts about 10-12 minutes into the game.

Torakami it seems that you are going against some of my strategies that I mentioned before so I will defend myself here.

As I have said, the 20 trebs thing is a deathmatch strategy. In deathmatch, the one with the more trebs wins. Trebs are good archer killers because they can outrange them and are extremely thick-skinned against pierce damage. 20 trebs firing onto a crowd of 40 archers will probably kill about 10-15 of them. For civs with weak skirmishers (i.e. Franks, Teutons,), it's better to not use skirmishers against powerful archers like longbows or chuks, because the skirms will lose. You are really then left to rely on paladins and trebs for that purpose.

well in deathmatch the most powerful strategy is to make about 10 stables as huns and pump out constant paladins until you run out of gold, which will bring u up to 200 pop before the other guy can make 5 trebs, not to mention that with the overpowered unit hussar thrown into the mix then u can't even get a treb up before they are killed... in dm, a mix of heavy cav archers, paladins, hussars, seige rams, and eventually elite skirmishers and halberdiers will do way better than 20 trebs, 20 trebs at 200 gold each is wayyyyy too high of a cost for what they do

Originally posted by Torakami_Bltzen
just responding to some of the things i've read in this thread about this game and wanted to clear some things up: first the average aoe2 game on standard setts (reveal map normal, pop 200, arabia, low resources, random game) takes about 30mins. The dominate civs in the game are the Huns, Aztecs, Mayans, Mongols, Vikings but every civ has it's strengths. if you want to anihilate the computer on hardest or any other settings just get to the feudal age in about 11mins with 25 villagers and then mine stone and build towers around your enemy. in multiplayer towers are generally useless in the imperial age and you're much better off making trebuchets instead of bombard cannons. however, having 20 trebuchets is a COMPLETE waste of resources, since the trebuchet outranges any building you only need probably 3 trebuchets at the most. also trebuchets are NOT good archer killers they exist nearly exclusivly to kill buildings, for archers try a skirmisher/knight combo. the best units in the game (based on cost in resources and overall effectiveness) are the hussar, and the skirmisher. 120 paladins is impossible to make against any good player. you don't have enough time to make 120 paladins against any good player because in a competitive game the combat starts about 10-12 minutes into the game.

Explain me this please:
- Why are Mayans good (for other thing that to acumulate resources to give in a MP game) in a single player game?
- Why not Bizantines and Sarracens?
- Why Arabia as standard?
- If you are playing against a good player, how can you go with only 3 trebs? I would focus on them and destroy them and then concern about other units. Are 3 enough?

- I'm not a very experienced person in MP, but once I lost after 9 hours of strugle. 9!!! (I lost when i run out of wood...)
With 10 barracks, 10 archery range, rally points and enough resources you can make a defense that can hold superior armies just with halberdier and elite skirmishers, who get substituted in the second they died. As I had only 1 relic (against 4... :( ) I lost.
The question is: why 30 minutes?!? Haven't you played much longer than that? If the players are at the same level, they can just make it for longer... no...?

well arabia is a standard because well i don't know but that's what most "experts" play these days. mayans are great in MULTIPLAYER because there excelerated start/better scout allow for a devastating dark age rush, in single player any civ works because single player is so easy and most games are over in about 1/2 hour because a very slight advantage in the early game builds up and becomes a big one and then it's obvious who will win

arabia is played by "experts" in deathmatch because you don't have to worry about wasting population on ships and every spot on the map is open to attack and choke points don't exist so it's even easier to attack.

I used to be a great Age player both in Age1;Rise of Rome and AoK, AoK:TC.
The Franks abilities and my grand economy, is the making of a huge war in Imperial Age.
75 Frank Paladins head the main charge and another 75 swing around to there flanks, great strategy for me.
Not sure if many others can pull it off, and, with my economy i can just keep on queing up Paladins, so i'd wait for 10-20 Paladins to be built and then i'll send them in, great for open field battles, doesn't matter who the enemy has. Bring in some Treb's to seige a city.
Can everyone post their Zone names? I'm wanting to start playing again, mine is MonK_SunTzu

Oh, the longest game i ever played was back in AoE:Rise of Rome, it was a 7 hour 3 vs 3 game, the game ended up being me versus the other team(3 players) for the last 3 hours. I ended up winning! I had the resources to produce en masse, Phoenician Armored War Elephants and Heavy Catapults lol i just poured it on and took them out one by one :D

TsC_BlitzenDoG, GRAPPLEMAN_OH are the ones i've been using mostly lately and i'd be happy to teach anyone how good players play if they wish sometime zm me

btw this is not meant to be a flame of any kinds just for the info of people trying to get better at aoeII, 150 paladins is NOT i repeat NOT a good strategy. sure the paladins are ultra powerful and that many will plow practically everyone but this takes WAY TO LONG to make and a feudal or early castle attack of 10-15mins will wipe you out before you can even get to the imperial let alone make paladins, if you want paladins to be in your main attack then i suggest doing what is called a "boom" which is where you MUST have spearmen or pikemen as a defense against raids! and in a competitve game you are probably going to need around 120-130 villagers so that many paladins is NOT advisable..

also.. playing as franks in a "no rush" style game is a dead giveaway for the opponent to pick saracens because mamelukes kill paladins easily

Top Bottom