1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Age Of Empires II

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by floppa21, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Torakami_Bltzen

Torakami_Bltzen Pigasus

i'd play it... would be a nice break from same ol' same ol' RM games... i think aok scenarios are really easy to make also because i am an idiot and i toyed around making one to test out galleons vs. longboats once.

2. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

That make of a person an idiot? Oops...

BTW, I heard that in Age of Mitology (AoEIII), you can put the units battling in the scenario himself :eek: Is that true? Do you like that? It would have save a lot of time in AoK scenario making...

3. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

Yes you can, it doesn’t help as much as you think. As soon as a unit dies, its removed from the editor, which may affect certain triggers, so you have to constantly resort to saved scn. But it works, and you can tell how good they fight against each other. Which is needed, as it doesn’t have a convenient way to see units stats in the editor. They're should be no doubt AoM is more fine tuned, (for instance, each unit has a 'mouse over' in game, about what its good against, i.e. spearmen\hoplites are good vrs cav. plus you can queue up technologies with units.) But, still its just not as historically correct;).

Btw, well Gaius, are you going to get this contest\campaign started, if so, sign me up:D?

And. . . Who won?

4. Portuguese

Longboats, if in number. Galleons, if in small numbers. Wasn't it? :D

Historically correct? It depends. If you consider Greek, Egiptian and Viking tales... ;)
    I find that editor possibility quite cool, slthough I'd like to see units stats.

Enough of AoM.

So, when can I play CFC's 1st scenario? :D

5. Torakami_Bltzen

Torakami_Bltzen Pigasus

as a rule.. galleons are better. cheaper too. however, in a narrower waterway longboats will win because they can be scrunched up closer. in a narrow waterway and galleons vs. longboats, the galleons will not all be able to fit and so it would really be more like 15 longboats vs. 3 waves of 5 galleons. in open water galleons win though.

6. PCHighway

Is this Elite Longboats (AoKtc)? It would only be fair for them to be elite, as the Galleon is the elite version of the galley line.
    Well, it seems Gaius is absent. . . Let me bring up some possible questions. This 'contest' will need coordination, something im not good at. But I'll bring up some ideas,
    • New thread? Are we OT here? Is this the best thread to discuss AoK scn.?
    • Focused Civilization? French? English? Chinese? Spanish? etc.
    • People? Who will be participating in this. Remember its for fun. Can get some tips if you don't know how.
    • Obviously we cant all make a scenario on Martel, decide who focuses on what Characters.
    • Age of Kings vanilla, or with the Conquerors expansion?

Anyone have some ideas? They are most appreciated:D.

7. Torakami_Bltzen

Torakami_Bltzen Pigasus

maybe someone who would be participating and/or knows a lot about history could take a look at all the special buildings/ hero units available and see what we can do with what's out there. I think we should use a civ that isn't already in a campaign... i know the game has lots of desert temples and pyramiads, etc... so maybe something on the Ottoman empire played as the Turks??

8. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

it's abvious you can make a robin hood campaign

9. PCHighway

If we stick to Gaius's main idea, it should tell the story of a civilization, or that’s how I interpreted it anyway;). But we will have to see, there is some discussion on one here, and im sure it would be completed by now. But I haven’t looked at it for a while, on the other hand, I Know these have been completed. (you have to do a search for 'robin'.)
    That’s an Idea, the only problem is the Ottoman Empire reigned from the 13th century and onward, is this to late of a time period for 4 or 5 people to make a scenario or two about?

Where is Gaius. . .

And not to mention Cyclops throwing war elephants 10 'feet' into the air:lol:.

10. Torakami_Bltzen

Torakami_Bltzen Pigasus

I'm not sure, but I think that you can only make entire campaigns using the expansion, so we would have to rule out vanilla aoeII...

Also, it should be a civilization that got in lots of wars... since who wants a scenario where all you do is build trade carts

11. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

Jihad scenario? Reconquista?

12. Portuguese

Reconquista would be so cooooool :cooool:

Finally, some action!
    (like Marine in Comandos)

Who would be edited to be Portuguese? Goths?

13. Gaius

Gaius Chieftain

Hi again!
    Back for a while now (got sucked up with EU & EUII). My main idea was: 1) choose a version. i would call for AoK plain, so more people would participate (imho) 2) choose a country. would consider more familiar for all of us, so less library work must be done. France, Italy, Spain. Spain should be excluded, if we will stick to AoK only. 3) choose a period. rather small. so entire 100 years war should be out. rather one smaller, but to picture the span of civilization. so some part of wars with Burgundy, or holy wars etc. 4) lets avoid alter-history. that diminishes some choices. i.e. choose only period when country did survived harshly or expanded with enough difficulties. 5) put that all into 3 stages, which lead logically to one another. 6) read more in library, set up a storyline 7) set up the map, triggers etc.

and then we should collect these things together, valuate or disvaluate some of them, but after all would get some nice picture about considerable country plus fun of playing through these mazes. i would still vote for plain AoK, no graphic changes no patches, because we can always make another campaign and then use AoKcp or whatever...
    if someone else answers this thread here, I'll start new thread and will be eager to lead this contest, otherwise I'll just wait.