Ages of Man: the BUG REPORTS thread

1. When you use a planet buster, it takes about 10-20 seconds to load the image, and the game scrolls to another part of the world

Vanilla civ has some pretty stupid algorithms for handling animations. The PBs just catch the worst of it, I think, but I've noticed similar behavior with other bombardment units.

2. Much more importantly, the Ascent To Transcendence wonder seems to be missing!!

I'm pretty sure this is related to a bug I just fixed a couple days ago, where it overrode a custom map's settings for the Space Race and Transcendence victory conditions. Depending on whether you were using Advanced Setup and/or a custom map, it might have left that victory turned off.
If you have FireTuner set up, go into it (in InGame mode) and type
Code:
print( PreGame.IsVictory( GameInfoTypes.VICTORY_TRANSCEND ) );
or
print( Game.IsVictoryValid( GameInfoTypes.VICTORY_TRANSCEND ) );
Both of those should say "true" (although the pregame one might return a nil value once the game starts, I'm not sure). I'm in the process of converting the AC content into the Ascension mod, and I think I've fixed this issue in that. So when I release the integrated version this next week, this bug should go away. I'll double-check it before I publish the 2.0 version, though.

No doubt it helps that I left off the balance mod for my first run through.

The balance mod definitely makes a big difference for city growth rates, and cities that large would have big happiness problems if you had the balance mod running. But yes, by the Nanotech Era you should expect your cities to get absolutely huge. Realistically, I'm trying to make it so that the game generally ends in the late Fusion or so (or at least have that be the point where you know you've won and are just mopping up for fun), so they won't get quite that big in most games.

Im getting this error whenever i try to start up a game with the files you uploaded this morning

Attachments

• aomcrash.png
    aomcrash.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 126
Im getting this error whenever i try to start up a game with the files you uploaded this morning

Okay, I've definitely never seen that before. It's possible that the files got corrupted somehow during the upload, I suppose, so I'll have to see if anyone else reports something similar.

Now, is it happening with all four? Try loading just Base, then Empires+Base, etc. to see if it's tied to a specific one.

Been testing combinations of your mods, its only doing this when I try to load all 4 at once. Could that be from too many promotions?

Been testing combinations of your mods, its only doing this when I try to load all 4 at once. Could that be from too many promotions?

The promotion cap doesn't crash anything, it just gives units lots of extra promotions. I just tried a 4-mod game and it loaded just fine, other than the extra promotions, although what I'm using on my own machine is SLIGHTLY different than what I posted. (I made some more tweaks this morning, including a couple minor bug fixes.)

So for now, just don't do a 4-mod game. Because of the promotions you shouldn't be attempting that, anyway, but you can try it again after the next posted version to see if it crashes like that again.

Using the latest edition of Mythology mod i cannot open the Social Policy window as soon as i get enough culture to buy my first policy, and as such i cannot end turn or make any other actions forcing me to quit the game. this happened in 3 different instances (As Egypt with Isis, then as Egypt with Set, then as Egypt with Ra)

I've been trying to use this mod, but every time I want to load a savefile the game crashes to desktop. I am using the base mod, empires and ascension. Any idea what is causing this?

Attachments

• Montezuma_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    515.8 KB · Views: 76
I've been trying to use this mod, but every time I want to load a savefile the game crashes to desktop. I am using the base mod, empires and ascension. Any idea what is causing this?

Using the same mods and having the same problem as well, keep on getting runtime error crashes. Both my main save & autosaves don't seem to work :(

Edit: It crashes on both dx9 & dx11. However saved games from v.civ5 load fine.

Confirmed. I found the problem, and it's not a good one:

The game won't allow you to delete a Promotion.

Seriously, that was it. All I did was comment out the six "Delete" lines used by the Base mod to remove the Accuracy and Barrage promotions and it started loading again just fine.

Now, it's possible that there's just a reference somewhere that I'm missing, and that fixing that will allow me to delete them after all. But until I find it, I can't remove those; what I CAN do, though, is leave them in but make them unselectable. This won't help with the promotion cap, but it WILL at least help with the overlap issue.

Okay, I fixed it. History lesson time!

Once upon a time, when the game was first released, you couldn't delete a Unit or Building without crashing the game like this. The reason was that the game would, at some point, loop over every unit ID and use the information it found there (like when it's building the Civilopedia). Then, in one of the patches, the devs fixed it so that this wouldn't happen any more. But from the looks of it, they never made that fix to promotions; I confirmed that the crash was entirely because IDs 7 through 12 were not being filled in by any later promotions.

So, I did something I really, really hate doing: I hard-coded it; six of the promotions in the Base mod are now explicitly set to IDs 7 throough 12. This lowered the top promotion when only using the Base from 166 to 160, so this WILL help with the promotion cap for those of you with DLCs. And I've confirmed that it now loads just fine.

Now, given that this does help with the 200-promotion limit, it means that I can free up more promotions this way by merging more of the core promotions. There are 14 more promotions in the Base mod that could be moved to earlier spots; there'd be no point in doing this with the promotions unique to Mythology or Ascension, as those'd still add 1 either way when trying to use both.

The next version will be out tomorrow or Monday, but in the meantime, if you want to fix this in your own versions, all you need to do is go into the Base mod and add fields like
<ID>7</ID>
to six of the promotions there, with the numbers being between 7 and 12. Assuming that this doesn't screw up any checksums, you'll be able to load games correctly. (Games made AFTER this fix; your old ones are not recoverable at all.)

So thats 20 promotions cleared up, how over the cap would all mods together be after you're done hardcoding them?

Unfortunately, possibly not enough. Vanilla has 147 promotions, leaving room for 53 before the cap.

Base adds 20 promotions, but now removes six. So that's 161 promotions right now, which leaves room for 39. The Empires mod adds no promotions, yet, although in the long term I'm going to need it to.

The Mythology mod has 16 promotions for the Focus-specific effects, and another 17 for special abilities like Disease or Trample. So at the moment, I'm 6 shy of the limit in Mythology games; since the DLCs add four or five, I'm pretty much right at the cap now; if I was willing to say that Mythology and Ascension would never be compatible, I could just be done with it.

The Ascension mod has 21 additional promotions. Ascension+Base is well below the cap, so the only problems come when combining with Mythology.

So to make the full mod set fully compatible, I need to delete about twenty promotions. I've got a few options:
1> There are more ranged-based promotions that can be merged with their melee counterparts. As in, remove Blitz and have melee units take Logistics, or vice versa.
2> Reducing the number of unit types that can gain certain abilities. For instance, in the Ascension mod I had Soporific Pods and Soporific Bombs. Pods depended on the four melee and ranged promotions, Bombs on the naval/bomber and fighter lines. I removed the ranged promotions, so if I'm willing to say that fighter units can't ever get this bonus, I can reduce the Ascension number by 1 with minimal impact. Likewise, I can merge the Repair promotion with the Air Repair one, as long as I'm willing to drop Fighters from the list.
3> In the core game, there are a few promotions that do the same thing. PROMOTION_HOVERING_UNIT and PROMOTION_CAN_MOVE_IMPASSABLE do exactly the same thing, and since neither of them is selectable through XP, there's literally nothing to be gained by having both in the database. Likewise, helicopters get duplicates of quite a few promotions, just so that they WON'T get Shock or Drill; if I change them to use the same promotions as everyone else, then I can remove quite a few of the helicopter-specific ones. (And frankly, I'd consider that regardless, because it sucks that the only options for helicopters are mobility and anti-armor).
4> There are a bunch of inherent promotion (EXTRA_MOVES_1, EXTRA_SIGHT_1, etc.) many of which aren't being used by any units. Removing these would work, right up until the devs (or some other mod) add a unit that DOES need that particular one.
5> In the Mythology mod, I have three promotions (Venom, Disease, Stun) that in turn spawn three "effect" promotions (Poisoned, Diseased, Stunned). I could, in theory, replace the three effects with purely Lua-driven functions, using the saved mod data structures to apply the effects instead of just checking for the presence of the promotions. I don't WANT to, but I could do it if need be.
Similarly, I can replace a couple Ascension wonder effect promotions (like the Planetary Transit System) with Lua effects.

But that's pretty much it, and I don't think I can gain 20 through those methods. Beyond that, you're cutting into content. Now, maybe that's okay (do Fighter units really NEED Dogfighting 3 and Interception 3, or could I just cap those lines at rank 2?), but it's something I won't do lightly. And it's a serious question: is it worth doing cuts to the core game that affect gameplay, solely for people who want to combine two content mods that are basically mutually exclusive by concept in the first place?

So I'm going to make all of the "easy" cuts that I can, and then we'll see where we are on numbers. If I can get within ten of the cap through those easy methods, then I'll be willing to do harder stuff. Otherwise, I'll leave the two as being incompatible for now, and hope the cap gets raised in the future; the reason being, the Empires mod is going to need at least a handful of espionage-type promotions once I get around to that, so if after the cuts I'm still right up against the limit then it doesn't really help in the long term.

Hopefully the DLL will let you raise the promotion cap, which would solve the problem with the empires mod since you cant really do anything in it until the DLL is out anyway. Doing the math, right now the number of promotions is at 215, 219 with the DLCs (im really starting to regret getting those, since I don't just have the option of turning them off or removing them)

Confirmed. I found the problem, and it's not a good one:

The game won't allow you to delete a Promotion.

Seriously, that was it. All I did was comment out the six "Delete" lines used by the Base mod to remove the Accuracy and Barrage promotions and it started loading again just fine.

Now, it's possible that there's just a reference somewhere that I'm missing, and that fixing that will allow me to delete them after all. But until I find it, I can't remove those; what I CAN do, though, is leave them in but make them unselectable. This won't help with the promotion cap, but it WILL at least help with the overlap issue.

Ahah very annoying. I'll wait for next patch release then.

Using the same mods and having the same problem as well, keep on getting runtime error crashes. Both my main save & autosaves don't seem to work :(

Edit: It crashes on both dx9 & dx11. However saved games from v.civ5 load fine.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one having this issue.

Okay, I fixed it. History lesson time!

Once upon a time, when the game was first released, you couldn't delete a Unit or Building without crashing the game like this. The reason was that the game would, at some point, loop over every unit ID and use the information it found there (like when it's building the Civilopedia). Then, in one of the patches, the devs fixed it so that this wouldn't happen any more. But from the looks of it, they never made that fix to promotions; I confirmed that the crash was entirely because IDs 7 through 12 were not being filled in by any later promotions.

So, I did something I really, really hate doing: I hard-coded it; six of the promotions in the Base mod are now explicitly set to IDs 7 throough 12. This lowered the top promotion when only using the Base from 166 to 160, so this WILL help with the promotion cap for those of you with DLCs. And I've confirmed that it now loads just fine.

Now, given that this does help with the 200-promotion limit, it means that I can free up more promotions this way by merging more of the core promotions. There are 14 more promotions in the Base mod that could be moved to earlier spots; there'd be no point in doing this with the promotions unique to Mythology or Ascension, as those'd still add 1 either way when trying to use both.

The next version will be out tomorrow or Monday, but in the meantime, if you want to fix this in your own versions, all you need to do is go into the Base mod and add fields like
<ID>7</ID>
to six of the promotions there, with the numbers being between 7 and 12. Assuming that this doesn't screw up any checksums, you'll be able to load games correctly. (Games made AFTER this fix; your old ones are not recoverable at all.)

Good to hear there'll be a fix for this soon, not so good about the save game loss. But this is a very good mod (haven't really gotten to the meat of the content but I've still enjoyed myself thus far) and I'm eager for the patch!

Thanks for all your work on this!

Good to hear there'll be a fix for this soon, not so good about the save game loss.

Unfortunately, in mods that alter the game as pervasively as mine do, it's pretty much guaranteed that all old savegames are invalidated the moment you download a new version. It's just that in this particular error's case, you can't cheat by altering the Lua or XML mid-game; sometimes, an error can be fixed that way and allow you to continue playing, but this isn't one of those times.

And really, if you think YOU have it bad, realize that I go through new versions a good three or four times a day. Every time I click the Build button, every old savegame I have goes kaput. If I spot a bug or needed design change in the middle of playing a game, I write it down, but once my list has a half-dozen or so items on it I generally quit the game and make the fixes, but doing so requires me to start over.
Do you know, in the more than a month since I released the Mythology mod, I've yet to actually FINISH a game? I've had a few games where I reached the Enlightenment, but I've never actually gone the rest of the way to actually meeting a victory condition.

But this is a very good mod (haven't really gotten to the meat of the content but I've still enjoyed myself thus far) and I'm eager for the patch!

How eager you are should depend which content mod you're using; Ascension had been stable for quite a while before I broke it last week. This bug affects Ascension and Mythology equally, since it's a failure in the Base mod, but I'll be changing quite a few other bits in the Mythology mod in this upcoming version. So if you're playing an Ascension game it'll go back to being stable as soon as I make the fix, but Mythology will have other issues (not the least of which are a series of massive balance problems).

The plan is to release the new versions tonight, about 6-8 hours from now. Besides a couple UI tweaks I've planned, I need to do about 20 quick test games first, to make sure all of the Mythology Event outcomes do what they're supposed to. (Not a fast process, by the way.) I suppose it doesn't help that I'm adding another 12 events tonight (bringing the total up from 11 to 23), but eight of those are placeholders with trivial coding so it won't take too long.

Im getting crashes when I try to load, all its says is "Civilization 5 has stopped working"

It wasn't crashing when I did it this morning, but loading a savegame definitely isn't working correctly. It's basically ignoring everything you did after the first turn: accumulating Favor, picking new gods, and so on. You SHOULD be able to play straight through, though, if you don't save.

I'm going to try to fix the whole loading issue tonight; if I can, I might release a new version immediately; otherwise, I'll wait until Monday night.

Unfortunately, in mods that alter the game as pervasively as mine do, it's pretty much guaranteed that all old savegames are invalidated the moment you download a new version. It's just that in this particular error's case, you can't cheat by altering the Lua or XML mid-game; sometimes, an error can be fixed that way and allow you to continue playing, but this isn't one of those times.

I understand and I wasn't trying to sound critical. It's the price we pay, and very willingly in my case, to have good mods.

And really, if you think YOU have it bad, realize that I go through new versions a good three or four times a day. Every time I click the Build button, every old savegame I have goes kaput. If I spot a bug or needed design change in the middle of playing a game, I write it down, but once my list has a half-dozen or so items on it I generally quit the game and make the fixes, but doing so requires me to start over.
Do you know, in the more than a month since I released the Mythology mod, I've yet to actually FINISH a game? I've had a few games where I reached the Enlightenment, but I've never actually gone the rest of the way to actually meeting a victory condition.

Though you're definitely paying a far worse price. That's dedication right there.

How eager you are should depend which content mod you're using; Ascension had been stable for quite a while before I broke it last week. This bug affects Ascension and Mythology equally, since it's a failure in the Base mod, but I'll be changing quite a few other bits in the Mythology mod in this upcoming version. So if you're playing an Ascension game it'll go back to being stable as soon as I make the fix, but Mythology will have other issues (not the least of which are a series of massive balance problems).

The plan is to release the new versions tonight, about 6-8 hours from now. Besides a couple UI tweaks I've planned, I need to do about 20 quick test games first, to make sure all of the Mythology Event outcomes do what they're supposed to. (Not a fast process, by the way.) I suppose it doesn't help that I'm adding another 12 events tonight (bringing the total up from 11 to 23), but eight of those are placeholders with trivial coding so it won't take too long.

I was playing Ascension when I had the problems so, if I'm reading things right, those issues should be fixed, correct?

I do intend to play Mythology once it progresses though.

I was playing Ascension when I had the problems so, if I'm reading things right, those issues should be fixed, correct?

Should be. The persistent bugs are all Mythology-related now, although as you saw in that last version, occasionally a bug gets into the Base mod and so affects all three content mods. The Ascension content is pretty much finished, so the only way a new bug can be introduced into that mod would be if I tried "fixing" some other issue, like the promotion cap, and accidentally screwed something else up in the process.

I do intend to play Mythology once it progresses though.

My hope is to have something functionally complete and fairly stable by Tuesday, so that people can play the Mythology mod over the holidays to make balance suggestions. It's very close to being ready for that; I just have to do a few structural things first and get rid of some placeholders.

Creating the future-era content was fairly useful in terms of being able to estimate balance, so that my first attempts at the Mythology won't be TOO unbalanced. But a lot of things can go wrong, so I'd say that if you want something that's both stable AND well-balanced, you might want to wait on Mythology until late January. By then, I should have made it a much smoother experience.

Top Bottom