1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ages of Man: the BUG REPORTS thread

Discussion in 'Crazy Spatz's Alpha Centauri Mod' started by Spatzimaus, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jmelnick

jmelnick Bad Mod Skills, Big Ideas

Found the errors in InstalledPanel.lua and OnlinePanel.lua.

Installed Panel:
    INSTALLER_STATUS_ERROR,
    statusKey = "TXT_KEY_MODDING_INSTALLER_ERROR";
    end

Online Panel:
    local statusCode = listingResults.StatusCode();
    print(statusCode);
    if(statusCode ~= 0) then
    HandleListingsError(statusCode);
    return;
    end

if(alreadyInstalled) then
    caption = "TXT_KEY_MODDING_ALREADY_INSTALLED";
    bEnableDownloadButton = false;
    elseif(downloadingMod) then
    bShowDownloadButton = false;
    elseif(modURL == nil or modURL == "") then
    caption = "TXT_KEY_MODDING_ERROR_INVALIDURL";
    elseif(Modding.IsDownloaderInitialized()) then
    caption = "TXT_KEY_MODDING_DOWNLOADMOD";
    bEnableDownloadButton = true;
    else

Locale.ConvertTextKey("TXT_KEY_MODDING_ERROR_INVALIDURL");
    else

if( job.State == DownloadStates.SUSPENDED or
    job.State == DownloadStates.ERROR) then

hideResumeButton = false;
    hideCancelButton = false;
    bUseRedLabel = true;

if(job.State == DownloadStates.ERROR or job.State == DownloadStates.WARNING) then
    local errorMsg = Modding.GetDownloadErrorMessage(job.ID) or "";
    listing.StatusLabel:SetToolTipString(errorMsg);
    listing.RedStatusLabel:SetToolTipString(errorMsg);

Error Handling
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    function HandleListingsError(status)
    SetListingsMessage(GetOnlineErrorMessage(status));
    SetListingsState("message");
    end

function HandleDetailsError(status)
    SetDetailsMessage(GetOnlineErrorMessage(status));
    SetDetailsState("message");
    end

function CountCategoryResults(categoryResults)
    local statusCode = categoryResults.StatusCode();
    if(statusCode ~= 0) then
    print("Count Category Result Error! " .. tostring(statusCode));
    return;
    end

function CountCategoryResultsOptimized(categoryResults)
    if(statusCode ~= 0) then
    print("Optimized Count Category Result Error! " .. tostring(statusCode));
    return;
    end

if(statusCode ~= 0) then
    print("ZOMG CATEGORY ERROR!!!");
    return;
    end

local statusCode = modInfoResults.StatusCode();
    print(statusCode);
    if(statusCode ~= 0) then
    HandleDetailsError(statusCode);
    return;
    end

caption = Locale.ConvertTextKey("TXT_KEY_MODDING_ERROR_INVALIDURL");
    bEnable = false;
    else
    caption = Locale.ConvertTextKey("TXT_KEY_MODDING_DOWNLOADMOD");
    bEnable = true;
    end

2. jmelnick

lots of errors in OnlinePanel.lua

3. dinobot386

dinobot386 Prince

Been playing without Infoaddict on, and it seems to be running much smoother, im not sure why this would be the case though

4. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Well, like I said, I had to hard-set something inside DiploCorner.lua, which is a file that InfoAddict needs to function, to make the Mythology mod work right. My changes also include IA's changes, so the two mods were originally fully compatible (since they both made the exact same changes), but now the two will conflict if you load my mod before IA since it'll lose my changes. This shouldn't cause any crashes; it would just cause my mythology variables to not preserve themselves across savegames. But it's possible that the conflict is causing other issues.
    (Also, make sure you're using the most recent version of InfoAddict, since that's the one I copied the UI changes from. Older versions might have other conflicts.)

This WILL get fixed, it's just going to take a little time. I'm going to try to fix it this week, because I'm going to be out of town most of next week for a conference. I might have to spend a lot of time this week preparing for that conference, though, so no promises. Also, I'm playing a bit of The Old Republic...

5. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Ah. This might be the problem; I keep this mod compatible with the latest PC versions, but Macs aren't on the same schedule. It might easily be possible that your version of the base game is just incompatible with a bunch of mods just because of these sorts of issues, where you're effectively using the game engine from two or three months ago because of the usual translation delays.

As to the specifics, the Mod Browser is an integral part of the UI, and it's where you select which mods to use. If you're not loading that interface correctly, then all sorts of other things could be failing. Regardless, the browser will fail for a lot of different reasons; maybe you're loading a mod that didn't set a URL in its header, for instance. If the mods aren't loading correctly because of this sort of error, or just aren't triggering in the appropriate order, then you can get all kinds of issues. Unfortunately I can't really debug those remotely.

6. jmelnick

so does this mean my computer is incompatible with the mod?

7. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

It's possible. Without more information about what EXACTLY you've been doing to play modded games, I just can't answer this. I have no idea what version the game is on for Macs, or how the UI code might differ even if you have the parallel version. You'd think that they'd try to make it so that things can be cross-compatible as much as possible, but you just never know. For instance, it might be failing because of the video driver (i.e., DirectX) differences between the two operating systems; I know people in the Ascension mod have had problems where it'd work in DX9 but not in 10/11, and that's just on Windows machines, so who knows what could go wrong on the Mac version.

The thing is, if your computer IS incompatible with my mod, it should also be incompatible with a whole lot of other mods as well, like InfoAddict, VEM, and so on. They might not immediately crash anything, but you'd probably run into the same sorts of issues in the long term. Because I only HAVE the Steam-based Windows version of Civ5, I can only guarantee full compatibility in that environment.

8. Revollt

Revollt Chieftain

Hi. With Age of Man/Empires/Mythology there is sometimes a bug that I cannot close the window if there is an event. I had these bugs with mythology 0.07 and 0.08. Like you see at the screenshot I should choose a hero... and I cannot. I click on select and nothing happens. I cannot close the window. Nothing works, have to load a savegame :/

And there is another thing: started a new game with mythology 0.08 and the game is really slow. There are only 6 AI on a small map but sometimes a round takes forever. Im playing on Immortal, maybe the AI needs to "think" longer? Biggest problem is: If I attack a unit the screen is freezing for 4-6 secs and then everything is fine (not a full freeze, I can move the mouse Im just not able to select stuff or do other things). And thats always if im attacking a unit. Maybe there is a new function for calculating the damage, xp or whatever?

Is it normal that the AI can enter at beginning of a game my territory without asking me or declaring me war? Because the AI is in my territory and I didnt allow them that ^^ and we dont have war.

But good job, please go on. Especially Mythology is awesome - without the long loadtimes it would be much much better, but I can live with that ;)

Attached Files:

9. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Is it a specific event that is causing problems? Usually when you see a UI sticking like that, it means that behind the scenes the Lua crashed with an error. If you had FireTuner then I'd say to check that, but failing that it might say something in your Lua.log file. In the case of the Argos event, it might be having a problem related to the fact that it's a naval unit.

So is it a small number of events that are crashing, or is it all of them? If pretty much every event can crash for you, then there's something more fundamental failing within the User Events component.

Unfortunately no, the AI doesn't think any more on Immortal than it does on Chieftain. The only difference is in what extra bonuses the AIs get. Now there are a few things I can do to speed the functions up, but turns don't take long at all on my machine. This may be related to your later comments, though.

No, those extra calculations shouldn't take anywhere close to that long. What's probably happening is that the art definitions aren't loading correctly, so the game's trying to start an animation that doesn't exist. This is an unfortunate problem I've run into many times; somehow, the game's animations are explicitly tied to a unit combat class, so if you create a new combat class (like "Myth Units") none of the units will have any animations. On the Windows 7 machines I've tested on it just fails gracefully, skipping the animations and immediately showing the combat results (which is actually kind of nice), but it's possible that on some other systems would try and activate a nonexistent animation and lock everything up until the animation would have ended. Since it'd do the same during the AI's turns as well (even if the combats wouldn't have been visible to you), it'd explain the massive slowdowns.

No. There IS a bug that they've never fixed where if you had Open Borders with someone before they declared war on you, then the Open Borders might last forever. But that shouldn't happen at the very start of the game. I've been TRYING to make it so that certain unit types (like mindworms) can enter any territory, but I can't get it to do so, so if you can figure out what's allowing those units to do so in your game, maybe I can roll that into the mods...

Hopefully once I get real art definitions in place some of those problems will go away. But that might not happen any time soon; creating 3D unit models is HARD, especially ones that need lots of animations, and I've got over a hundred units in the Mythology mod alone. So if you are having problems with all of these units' animations, it might not go away any time soon.

10. Revollt

Revollt Chieftain

I think last time it was the same event, I had to choose a Hero and nothing worked. In my Lua.log ist only
    Code:
    [52185.454] Initializing Lua 5.1.4
    Does it help ^^? And I think when it happend last time I didnt had a naval unit.
    Hm maybe. But this "freezing" is there too when I got a normal animation. The Mythology units got sometimes no animation, thats ok. But if there are units fighting with normal animation then I get still this freeze (after a fight) of 4-6 secs.

Im not sure, but after the AI or I did research (dont know the name of it) the technology for operboarder, he cannot enter without war declaration or openboarder deal.

11. Revollt

Revollt Chieftain

edit: ups wrong posting

12. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Not really. It looks like you don't have logging fully enabled; go into your config.ini file and make sure "LoggingEnabled = 0" has been changed to a 1. Or, do what I do and run FireTuner parallel to the game. If it's something in my Lua that's breaking then you'll see the runtime error messages in both places, but if it's related to your specific computer then it wouldn't show any errors.

Okay, next question: have you experienced this with any mods other than mine? Have you TRIED any mods other than mine that add extra units, modify the graphics of existing ones, or alter combat rules? It might be something in my Lua functions, but I'd say it's more likely something specific to your installation. Not trying to blame you here, but a large number of folks have used these mods without those issues; if it was a hard-to-trigger error then it'd be possible that you came across a bug that others just hadn't experienced, but the triggers you've described are pretty fundamental to the game.

In that case it might be something the devs deliberately changed, to prevent the player from boxing an AI into a peninsula or something in the early game. I didn't do anything that should have caused this behavior, although it's possible that adding those other early techs might have screwed up the game's logic. (That is, if it knows that tech #21 unlocks open borders, it might be allowing the AI to pass through if it has any techs > 21. Since my mythology techs are all added with IDs above 74 (the last tech in the vanilla game), it might be checking this incorrectly.

When I get home I'll see if I run into the same issues.

13. Revollt

Revollt Chieftain

Yeah logging was disabled. I changed it. If I will have another crash I will post the .log

No I didnt had these problems with other mods. But I dont play so many mods, just NiGHTS, Vanilla Enhanced and yours - maybe once I tried other stuff but these 3 are my favor. Im trying to use only one mod. If I download a new mod I delete the old one(s). I do the stuff like here posted
    Just for you I deleted again everything. Added again man -> empires -> mythology 0.08, verifiy cache + defrag and loaded the savegame. Well the fights are still freezing :/ Started a new game just to see some changes. Well this borders bug is still there (see picture, at beginning of a game persia is just standing there on my territory without asking me or war). Fights are now a little bit faster, but I think just because its the beginning of a game. Maybe I can tell you later more if Im playing this new game a little bit longer, I will also try to delete 0.08 and add 0.07 one day just to see how it changed the performance. But I think Im done for today :) Maybe tomorrow I can tell you more :wavey:

Attached Files:

14. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

It's good to only use one major modpack at a time but you don't need to delete anything; in the Browse Mods menu you can easily enable/disable mods for your next game. The reason I asked is that my mods do quite a few things that others don't; VEM doesn't add a ton of new units, while NiGHTs doesn't have a huge amount of combat-altering Lua. So depending on exacty which mods you'd tried previously, I could narrow down the cause of your slowdowns.

Okay, the bigger question is how Persia managed to get a Cadejo that early in the game. That's a tier 4 mythological unit; you shouldn't be seeing those until the Medieval Era at the earliest, and even then only if that player started with one of few major gods with Travel as a Focus (Set, Odin, Vishnu, or Sarutahiko). So something's seriously wrong if you're seeing those while your capital is only level 2. It can't even be an Event thing, because no event will ever award level 4 units.

I can't remember whether I'd given Cadejos the ability to pass through borders and use enemy roads; it's likely that I did, given the Travel Focus' effects in general, but I'm assuming you've seen this effect with other units.

15. Revollt

Revollt Chieftain

Well I tought its better/safer to delete old mods/other mods then to disable them in the game. I used VEM, played some games to end, then I deleted everything then used NiGHTS and so on ^^ The last mod was NiGHTS (11.x or something), before NiGHTS it was VEM but before VEM I dont know (maybe it was NiGHTS 10.x). Do you have to know all the mods? If I deleted everything and cleared the cache then it doesn't matter what for mods I used? Now there is only man,empires,mythology in the mod folder. Should I post some log files or what else would help?

Uhm, almost every AI got these unit at the start of every game. I thought thats normal because Im playing on Immortal :confused:

16. rayss8

rayss8 Chieftain

I was playing with Base/Empire/Myth together
    After I loaded a saved game, my myth counter returned to zero (0/150). However, by the time, I have already picked my second minor god. Also, my icons of the orginal two priest disappeared, and only the newest priest remained.

17. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Yes, I know. This bug is the entire reason that Mythology mod is still listed as an alpha build with a sub-1.0 version number; you can't load a Myth game and get it to remember how much Favor (or how many minor gods) you'd chosen.

This is why, in the first post of the Mythology thread, I've got a "Known Issues" section, and the very first entry (in bold letters) says "The Save/Load functionality does not currently work". I'm going to fix it when I get home; assuming the fix doesn't break anything else, the next version of the Mythology mod will be out next week (probably Tuesday or Wednesday).

18. dinobot386

dinobot386 Prince

Ive been playing Base/Empires/Acension and have been getting several graphics issues.

Sometimes when the screen changes (like if an AI wants to trade) the screen freezes, I can still hear the AI's theme and can hear the buttons being pressed if i click where they would be on the screen had it properly loaded, but im still looking at my cities etc. (this is for more than just AI screens, I also got this problem once when I was exiting out of my diplomacy history screen)

Another, less game breaking but still annoying problem im having is sometimes units and other graphics will mess up and it the colors of one part of the model will shoot beams of said color at my screen. Common culprits are the Trireime and Catapult. Also have gotten this problem with China and Japan's leader screen (ill try to get a screencap next time this happens so you know what im talking about)

Im only using your mods and a senario I made with YNAEMP's giant earth map

19. dinobot386

dinobot386 Prince

I havent been getting the second graphic issue i mentioned since I posted, but im still getting the screen freezing. The game still functions after the screen freezes (i can hear buttons being pressed if i click in the spot where they would be, etc.), so its not a crash, but the game becomes unplayable after the freeze since im blind, and I have to restart my system anyway.

20. Pazyryk

Pazyryk Deity

Spatzimaus, I hate to plug my own stuff here in your mod. But you've been so helpful in my modding. You really should take a look at my TableSaverLoader component. It makes it quite easy to restore a game (and all associated variable data) after load. The savegame intercept is just a little klunky in its interface (we really need a GameSave event) but it works fine. The processing overhead is about 0.3 sec per turn if you have ~1000 table elements.