AI after the april update

How the Hell did he get that to pop. 10?

The American style forever wars the AI has with each other seems to completely screw them over late game.

Couple good things: AI uses observation balloos with their siege artillery a lot which gives them nice range, also I've seen AA guns that were not there after March patch.

Line infantry can take a lot of beating so it helps AI at siege, also siege units are bit tougher now. STILL I think walls are damn too strong!

No idea if AI is more naval active though!

It’s bad. The civ AI on my iphone is more of a threat

I think the biggest issue is 1 UPT plus low movement allowance plus terrain penalties plus “wasted” move points (you cannot enter a hex unless you have the full movement allowance).

This makes deploying an army an agonizingly slow sliding puzzle minigame.

Then you have ranged unit LOS malarky.

The low move allowance also means you can forget about redeploying armies from different regions to exploit an opportunity or react to a problem

Then we get to the problem of walls

You should try ARS movement mod. It adds +1 movement to all units and allows one unit of each class to stack on the same tile. The AI does take advantage of this.

How the Hell did he get that to pop. 10?
That was my exact reaction when I saw that picture.
No idea if AI is more naval active though!
I've seen little flotillas of four or five barbarian boats picking on anything that gets too close to them.

I've won a diplomatic victory on immortal standard size. AI trained ZERO athletes and the most gold it gave is 200 gold while I was making 1000 gpt. I was also the only one using spies to remove envoys in city states... Also, I've recommissioned the coal plants, got some points but I was expecting the AI to remove carbon emissions with the good tech but no... Anyway AI cannot win diplomatic victory the way it is right now.

I've won a diplomatic victory on immortal standard size. AI trained ZERO athletes and the most gold it gave is 200 gold while I was making 1000 gpt. I was also the only one using spies to remove envoys in city states... Also, I've recommissioned the coal plants, got some points but I was expecting the AI to remove carbon emissions with the good tech but no... Anyway AI cannot win diplomatic victory the way it is right now.

Was the dirty capitalism game mode in?

This is very likely not related to a recent update, but the AIs surprised me by voting sucessfully for a construction boost in the TS in a session about the Urban Development treaty :)
Spoiler :

AIVotingForTheatreSquare.jpg

This is very likely not related to a recent update, but the AIs surprised me by voting sucessfully for a construction boost in the TS in a session about the Urban Development treaty :)

What turn / era is this? Whenever I get this resolution mid-game to late-game, AI sometimes does choose for something else than city center. It's just that this resolution is more frequent in the early game.

What turn / era is this? Whenever I get this resolution mid-game to late-game, AI sometimes does choose for something else than city center. It's just that this resolution is more frequent in the early game.

Beyond T360 in an Epic Speed game on Prince; the game entered overall the Industrial Age, but even the most advanced AIs have now fallen back towards me and still research late Renaissance techs mainly. I have recently seen the AI picking the CS most of the time, but the low difficulty preventing the AIs from city spamming in combination with their existing ones probably having most CS buildings might have caused this - which would be a fairly decent decision for the AI in Civ6.

FWIW, my observations are that naval combat seems to have changed not at all (sadly), but the new units do seem to help the AI in land warfare. Trebuchets in particular mean that the AI is no longer utterly stymied by ancient walls, since one shot from a trebuchet can take down almost the whole wall if all you have is ancient. Also the additional melee units make it harder to have a sustained horseman or knight rush, since there will be stronger melee units appearing much quicker than in the past.

No mod, on immortal difficulty standard map size.

Interesting. I thought it was that game mode doing it, but maybe it is a bug. AI gave ZERO gold to me in two disaster emergencies. They were also nearly always broke, which I attribute to corporations mode being broken.

You should try ARS movement mod. It adds +1 movement to all units and allows one unit of each class to stack on the same tile. The AI does take advantage of this.
Tried this and Real Strategy (which emphasizes unit building) yesterday on immortal with the now very strong Mayans, shared a continent with the Scythians.

When they declared war, they brought an absolutely scary stack of units, that would have been devastating in the open field. The Ai is really not bad at using this tactically, quickly pouncing on isolated units.
However, it did highlight the problem of overpowered city defenses (and you can stack your cities + encampments too, of course), because I could still defend my cities relatively comfortably, and the Ai still tends to naively send isolated units into enemy lands itself. I had to be prepared though, my walled encampments saved my border cities multiple times. And after I mowed down the first Scythian wave (the Mayans are obviously good defenders), they didn't just surrender, but came up with a stronger second one.
So it does make things more interesting, maybe more dangerous, not convinced yet that it's harder. It definitely enables the AI to take other AI's cities, so I might still get problems with a snowballer later, let's see.

Last edited:
I noticed that AI likes natural wonders very much. It will build a city to get the wonder even if it can not keep it. In two games AI put their second city behind my capital far away from their.

Tried this and Real Strategy (which emphasizes unit building) yesterday on immortal with the now very strong Mayans, shared a continent with the Scythians.

When they declared war, they brought an absolutely scary stack of units, that would have been devastating in the open field. The Ai is really not bad at using this tactically, quickly pouncing on isolated units.
However, it did highlight the problem of overpowered city defenses (and you can stack your cities + encampments too, of course), because I could still defend my cities relatively comfortably, and the Ai still tends to naively send isolated units into enemy lands itself. I had to be prepared though, my walled encampments saved my border cities multiple times. And after I mowed down the first Scythian wave (the Mayans are obviously good defenders), they didn't just surrender, but came up with a stronger second one.
So it does make things more interesting, maybe more dangerous, not convinced yet that it's harder. It definitely enables the AI to take other AI's cities, so I might still get problems with a snowballer later, let's see.

That sounds interesting... mod source?

That sounds interesting... mod source?
They're both in the workshop
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121840605
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282434

I'm still experimenting with the movement mod. The higher movement rate has balancing issues too, of course, but it's also more fun.

I've used Real Strategy (also here) for years (in about 50% of my games), it hasn't been updated for a while but is solid. It mostly uses the default AI, but they play a bit more to their strengths and keep a decent amount of units at all times.

Top Bottom