Civilizator

Chieftain
What is the best anphibious assault any of you has ever
seen from the AI? In my experience (I play monarch),
the AI is pathetic at attacking overseas. They just land
a few units anywhere in your coast that you easily
wipe out.

I know very well how complicated it is to program the AI,
but the AI seems to ignore even the very basic ideas.
I have never seen the AI landing with many units, landing
artillery, I have never seen the AI bombarding my cities
with naval units or bombers from carriers before the marine
assault. I have never seen the AI pillaging sistematically my
territory, just here and there. I just wanted to read your
comments on this...

To me happened that AI destroyed most of my roads without being on my territory or even near it. It would just write ''english artillery have destroyed improvements near...''. I don' know how they did that but I am sure it was no nuclear weapon because there was no polluton around the destroyed improvements and it couldn't be with battleships because I was in the middle of the continent and i had coastal fortress in my every coastal city

To me happened that AI destroyed most of my roads without being on my territory or even near it. It would just write ''english artillery have destroyed improvements near...''. I don' know how they did that but I am sure it was no nuclear weapon because there was no polluton around the destroyed improvements and it couldn't be with battleships because I was in the middle of the continent and i had coastal fortress in my every coastal city, it couldn't be bombers because there were no enemy cities near me

Damn Aztecs put 16 units including marines straight into one of my least defended coastal cities from 2 transports guarded by 4 ironclads.

I once had the Greeks land four riflemen and three infantry near a small city of mine. They attacked, and were left with one hit point for one unit, which I destroyed. Not exactly effective. And, yes, I had already in Editor made sure there was no check on "offensive" for AI use for those units.

The AI is better the the Civ 2 AI in this area, though. After over five years it ought to be.

The only Ai war I have seen across a sea was a waste of time. They just spent years and years bombarding the Amercains, even when there were about 6 civs fighting against them. The Egyptions managed to capture an island city and that was the only success they had. The Americans even managed to have a successful war against the Chinese...

Originally posted by Civilizator
What is the best anphibious assault any of you has ever
seen from the AI? In my experience (I play monarch),
the AI is pathetic at attacking overseas. They just land
a few units anywhere in your coast that you easily
wipe out.

I know very well how complicated it is to program the AI,
but the AI seems to ignore even the very basic ideas.
I have never seen the AI landing with many units, landing
artillery, I have never seen the AI bombarding my cities
with naval units or bombers from carriers before the marine
assault. I have never seen the AI pillaging sistematically my
territory, just here and there. I just wanted to read your
comments on this...

boy! that happens to me all the time. it's why i keep quiting and
starting a new game. had the french, egyptians and yanks
gang up on me with more than 50, yes 50, frigates. said to hell
with this and started again. :cry:

Originally posted by running fast

boy! that happens to me all the time. it's why i keep quiting and
starting a new game. had the french, egyptians and yanks
gang up on me with more than 50, yes 50, frigates. said to hell
with this and started again. :cry:

I too had a game where there`s hundreds of units on my coast and turns took minutes to complete with animation off because of all the bombards....

and I could hardly strike back because it was before 1.21 and the recon bug wasn`t fixed :(

very annoying....

I had a "lightly" defended (3 mech inf, 2 MA) island with 3 cities on it. The russians landed a group of 8 units consisting of MI and cossacks. A few turns later some tanks showed up. Luckily my cities were large enough to draft some MI and I held out. Their initial landing was next to the city with only 1 defender.

But that was the exception, most "invasions" are too weak to do much damage other than to pillage improvements.

I had a one island city the AI wanted for some reason (it was well placed stragetically, but don't know how much that factors into AI "thinking.") I was at war with three or four civs and all had landed on the island with less than overwhemling numbers at any one time but they were consistently arriving.

Due to their interest I bulked up, airlifting a bunch of units, both offensive and defensive. Then the Aztecs showed up with three transports full of Marines and attacked right from the water. 24 consectutive Marine attacks. I had a couple badly damaged units left at the end of the turn but held somehow.

This was when I first started playing, on Chieftan. For a few games after that I feared amphibious assualts, commiting many units to coastals cities but have never seen anything even close since.

The AI in my present game is horrible in naval apects. They assign one unit to guard a transport, and they don't guard their carriers. They don't use the advanced notion of fleet groups (I use 2 subs, 2 destroyers, 1 AEGIS cruiser, 2 battleships, and 1 carrier as one tactical naval unit- pretty effective too). The AI does not concentrate their attacks, either. And the AI in my game doesn't train marines.

Top Bottom