1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI attitude

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Bamspeedy, Feb 19, 2003.

1. planetfall

planetfall Emperor

OK, plowed thru this again. Questions: what about nukes? It seems that the previous notes on this thread say
    1. nukes add +30 to attitude
    2. attitude is permanent
    3. nuke penalty is added regardless of whether first strike or retalation.

So..
    1. Are nuke penalties commulative? +30 for each nuke?
    2. Do nukes also count the number of kills, both military and citizens?

I think the answer to #1 is no and number 2 is yes, but wanting confirmation.

thanks

PF

2. absolut_nonsens

absolut_nonsens Chieftain

Hello Grey Fox!
    I'd like to tell you about one of my observations. I'm sure there must be different atitude positions between the civs cultural groups.
    For Example, I play at the Emperor level with Rome. Every time I played I saw a very agressive atitude toward me from Persia, Babylon and Arabia. Persia has an excellent rate of developement, is almost always the richest country and the best trading partner but also is always seeking to declare war to Rome or to join every existent alliance against Rome, during or immediately after the 20 turns end of a trading session. They declare easily war even if they are at the opposite site of the map!

3. Camber

Camber Resident Family Therapist

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (perhaps "classic" is more appropriate). Three questions for the forum:

1. If a nuke were given hidden nationality, would the relations hit be the same as normal? It appears it would, since attacks with Privateers give the standard relations hit.

2. If a treaty is nullified by the elimination of a player, does it give a rep/relations hit? Example: I have a military alliance against Netherlands with Rome, America, England, and Spain. [I did this because Netherlands has no cities and 1 Settler left, and I can't find it, so I'm enlisting help from the AI, who can "see" all units on the map, to track it down.] When someone kills that last Settler, it will break off these treaties. Will I have a negative repercussion from the broken treaties?

3. Has anyone asked Thunderfall to edit the War Academy article?

4. hbdragon88

hbdragon88 haunted by blackness

I asked him twice to update my "10 General Rules of Modern Warfare" article, but he never responded nor updated it...I'm not sure about the others.

5. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

You will only suffer the consequences if you kill their last unit.

6. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

I'm surprised this lengthy doc doesn't include the effects of hurrying production by killing off civilians or starving your people. How do you go into debug mode to test these things out, anyway?

=$= Big J Money =$=

7. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

If you finish off an AI and thus end MA, your reputation is intact, but your alliances' attitude will be worse. That is ok, you can still trade with them and get attitude back. Note this doesn't include the case where your MA is signed with a peace treaty together! In that case, AI thinks you break a peace treaty, and your rep is ruined.

8. Edgewaters

Edgewaters Chieftain

How does sacrifice affect attitude? Anyone know?

9. ellie

ellie Emperor

I always boob by declaring on a civ id forgotten im trading luxuries or gpt with.

Is there a quick way to check existing deals and when they run out?. I can never find it.

10. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

11. SleeperLv

SleeperLv Chieftain

thanks great info.

12. Yeah OK

Yeah OK Chieftain

I realize this post has been up since way before I ever knew C3C existed, but I recently encountered a game situation that I cannot explain based on the contents of this thread. I feel like something potentially significant has been left out. Figured I'd post it to see if anyone can figure out what's going on.

I'm playing C3C 1.22, Chieftain, World Map is Small, I'm Hittites in Republic. I'm at war with Zululand (also in Republic), and no other civilization (Korea, Egypt, and Carthage, all Republics as well) has been involved in our war whatsoever. Zulu has only one city left, size 2, which has only been Zulu's capital for 1 turn. Its culture should only be at 1 (due to the moved Palace from the last Zulu capital I captured). It is undefended with a galley fortified inside the town. I have an embassy and a Right of Passage agreement with both Egypt and Korea. I have no embassy with Carthage or with Zululand. None of the civs have a Right of Passage agreement or trades with Zululand.

Situation 1: I move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city. I raze it. Korea, Egypt, and Carthage all remain polite towards me (just as they have been virtually the entire game).

Situation 2: I move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city. I capture it. Then, immediately after doing so, I abandon it. Korea goes from polite to annoyed with me. Carthage and Egypt remain polite.

Situation 3: I do NOT move my knight to capture the Zulu's last city. Instead, I abandon all the towns I recently captured from the Zulu that still contain 50% or more foreign (Zulu) citizenry. After 6 city abandonments Korea and Egypt still remain polite towards me. Carthage changes from polite to cautious after the 6th abandonment.

Situation 4: I move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city. I capture it. Then, immediately after doing so, I abandon it. Korea goes from polite to annoyed with me. Carthage and Egypt remain polite. Then, I additionally abandon the exact same 6 cities as I did in Situation 3. No attitude change from any of the other civs.

Situation 5: I abandon the exact same 6 cities as I did in Situation 3. Carthage changes from polite to cautious again, and Korea and Egypt both remain polite. Then, I move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city, capture it and then immediately I abandon it. Egypt remains polite. Carthage remains cautious. Korea changes from polite to furious. (Huh!?)

Situation 6: I abandon the exact same 6 cities as I did in Situation 3, plus I abandon 1 extra city that also contains 50% or more foreign (Zulu) citizenry. Carthage again changes from polite to cautious, and Korea and Egypt both remain polite. Then, I again move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city, capture it and immediately abandon it. Egypt goes from polite to cautious. Carthage goes from cautious to annoyed. Korea goes from polite to furious.

Situation 7: I abandon the exact same 6 cities as I did in Situation 3, and I again abandon the 1 extra city that also contains 50% or more foreign (Zulu) citizenry. Carthage again changes from polite to cautious, and Korea and Egypt both remain polite. Then, I move my knight into Zulu’s undefended city, and raze it. Carthage remains cautious, and Korea and Egypt both remain polite.

Now, I have followed this thread religiously to ensure that no other civilization has ANY reason to have a grudge against me (other than inevitable issues like changing governments or becoming the most powerful civ). The only other possible strike against me is that I auto-razed one of Zulu’s cities during the last war.

There have only been 3 wars the entire game: 1 was me (Hittites) versus India where I destroyed them early in the game before India met anyone else, and 2 were me (Hittites) versus Zulu. All 3 wars entailed absolutely no involvement from anyone else.

Any thoughts?

(NOTE: I have the save in case anyone wants to see/test it. For some reason the forum isn't letting me post it here but if you're interested just ask me for it here and provide your email, or ask me by email at jfranks1019@hotmail.com)

EDIT: .sav file attached!​

Attached Files:

13. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

There looks to be a penalty for starving cities - it may be that abandoning them counts, too.

Not sure why korea has such a large penalty, though....

14. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

I've observed an inexplicable attitude hit once before, I assume it's a bug.

I made thread about it, but the mystery was not really solved.

15. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

huh - well, that certainly seems to be the same thing - abandoning cities with all foreign population.

16. Tergiversater

Tergiversater Chieftain

Bumping this in the year 2013.

Does anyone know the effects of making peace, when in an agreement with other civs that have brought them into war?

I've bribed nations into declaring war on my enemy, but now I want peace. Do i have to wait till 20 turns is up? An what happens if I don't?

17. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

Attitude is affected, but I am never bothered much by attitude. Reputation, however, is tarnished when you break a 20-turn deal. If your reputation is tarnished you will find it very difficult to trade one-time items (tech, bulk gold) for per-turn items (resources, gpt).

So I plan ahead and try not to make alliances I think I might want to break. Often I find my AI partner breaks it early, anyway. (I usually try to pay gpt for alliances for this reason.)

18. Jarek Noschese

Jarek Noschese Chieftain

You FORGOT *ONE*.

Not having 8-15 cities (i.e. build nothing but Settlers VERY early game) on >Chieftain = +>9000 with EVERYONE, THE END (ONLY seems to be with Conquests though, so this information MIGHT be wrong for those playing an EARLIER version)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019