AI Betrayal: How to sweeten the pot or How to buy nationalism for 150 gold

wisefool

Chieftain
I was playing a standard regent game as the French. I managed to almost own the main continent. There were two smaller continents with the persians owning 8 cities and the Chinese owning 11. I had never been to war with either the persians or the chinese (I focused on clearing my own continent), and had sold them techs, was trading luxuries, etc etc. In short, I had decent relations and never provoked them.

Tech level was barely into the industrial age around the 1600s. They broke industrial before me and had nationalism, but I was the only civ with cavalry. Well, I decided to run along and load up caravels (later upgraded to galleons). I planned an invasion for about 30 turns, massing somewhere around 60 units. I was still loading them up when I noticed the persians had dropped a stack of units into one of my interior cities that only had one musketeer defending it.

By now I had discovered rail.

I was curious. I saved the game and ended the turn. The persians, of course, attacked. I reloaded.

Here is the tip - If you find a situation similar where the AI *will* attack you, here is what you can do.

I bought nationalism from the chinese for a sum and proceeded to upgrade defenders. I placed 3 defenders in that city, plenty against the persian expedition. I launched my galleons towards the persians. I already knew which spot I wanted, a nice set of hills with incense where I was going to just plant a city and defend it with 60 units till the persians gave up. (once I had incense, I did not care what the persians did anymore. I knew that a few hundred years later they'd want 100 gold a turn for that incense otherwise.)

Then here is the kicker. I went to the persians and bought Nationalism and another misc tech for about 150 gold/turn. At the time I had a surplus of 200+ gold/turn.

I saved and ended the turn.

As expected, the persians broke the trade and died to my defenders. As I write this I am about to take Parsagade from the Persians and end their miserable existence.

The kicker is the persians gave me the military advantage (they smashed themselves against my riflemen fortified in mountains, leaving the cavalry to slice them at very low casualty rates), for the cost of a paltry 150 gold )

Now I just have to figure out whether I should obtain a right of passage with the chinese and destroy them at my convenience, or wait for domination.

Muahahaha!

"Muahahaha!"

Is that Persian?

Anyway, the AI cheats all the time, so why shouldn't we? Whatever works! :goodjob:

Man, thats evil.

I'm gonna try it RIGHT now!!! [pimp] :lol:

Top Bottom