AI Issues

MosheLevi

Prince
I am not sure if anyone else reported similar issues, so I would like to report the AI issues I experienced so far.

I am playing on a standard map with 9 additional AI's on "King" difficulty level.
I am currently on Turn 190 (year 1820 on "Quick" game pace).

The AI's are very slow to settle around the map.
Couple AI's have only two cities, others have from 4 to 7 cities total (very low number compared to Civ 4 & 5).
I managed to conquer a few cities from couple of AI players (which was way too easy) and I currently stand at 18 cities total.

As you can see the AI is very slow to expand.

In addition to that the AI has very few military units.
I conquered a few cities from 2 different AI's who had only couple units each to defend.
The AI doesn't upgrade his military units and still has Warriors.

Currently it looks like I have more military units (around 60) than all the AI's combined.
At the same time, I see that city states have 10-15 military units each (more than the AI players).

Needless to say that this kind of game (on King difficulty) offers no challenge at all and it is turning to be very boring.

The best games I ever had playing with Civ 4 & 5 were those with competitive AI expansions and challenging wars.

The AI must expand faster and must train many more military units while upgrading his old units.

We also need more wars.
After I conquered a few cities from two AI's all the other AI's denounced me, but no one declared war on me.
Probably because they don't have sufficient military units for declaring a war.

So far there were only couple of short wars between couple of AI's.

I also think it would be a good idea that the AI's form alliances and start a war against warmongers.
That would make the game more challenging as well as fun.
In addition to that, warmongering will have consequences.

I am attaching my game here in case the developers want to take a look at it.
I am using two mods for this game as follows:
"Unit Rebalance" and "TCS Improved Water Yields 1.3".

Attachments

• TRAJAN 190 1820 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The issue with the AI not upgrading units can be alleviated somewhat by mods, but even so, in my current game, they haven't actually declared war on me once. Scythia owns half the map, with a huge (somewhat modern, but not fully modern) army and who is denouncing me every few turns, but never actually declares war. Which means the only way to liven things up would be for me to declare war, which I am reluctant to do just in case I am shooting myself in the foot (and if I get crushed, then I had it coming rather than because the AI are warmongers). I usually wait until the AI declares war on me and then use that as an excuse to invade them. All in all, a quite boring game so far. Every square (or hexagonal) kilometer of the map had been settled a long time ago, but it seems as if the entire world is in a constant state of doing nothing much.

It's looking like I'll have to be the warmonger in this game. Otherwise I might just quit out of boredom.

sad to say that i agree with all of this.

I'm was very excited for cVI, and what seems to be the new layer of complexity that they added, but the AIs performance makes this game so very boring. One early strat on early levels seems to work: declare very early and take an AI capital with a few warriors and archers, and then the game is cake for the reasons laid out very well above. I am not very good at the game, and never won a game on emperor in any SP version of civilization. They say you're at the rigth level if you lose a city to the AI. Now, i can beat Immortal, and I've never lost a city. :( I came close once, TR DoWed me with about 7 chariots and a couple cats. And putzed around so much that my 2 spears and 2 archers held them off.

the only enjoyment that I find in the game now is in succession games with those people i met during cIV w crazy variants to make it interesting. please fix the AI firaxis

Everyone agrees that the AI in Civ VI is very weak.

To increase the challenge, I play exclusively Deity level in Civ VI. To increase the challenge even further, I have moved from Standard speed to Online speed lately. I find that I don't even need the buffed forest chops; just settling near higher cog/hammer tiles suffices for me.

Top Bottom