1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI Too Stubborn

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by smerka, Apr 20, 2016.

1. smerka

smerka Chieftain

Seems the AI prefers me killing them than letting me negotiate a peace treaty. After taking their main cities and capital they still say "come to beg for mercy" or "Lost the will to fight". Sp can even propose peace is there anyway to remove this none peace period all together, as I find it immersion breaking.

Also on a side note I really need to start disabling civs which can just swallow every city state, as I have just liberated a city state only for Mongolia so swallow them up while I was its Ally.

Great mod overall though.

2. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

There is a cooldown after you capture an AI city, for duration of which you can't sign a peace treaty.
    Also if they run an operation to retake the city, you can't sign a treaty either. So just slow down on your conquests.

3. Senteliks

Senteliks Warlord

It actually really isn't, but hey different people have different views of immersion. In any case, there is countdown time, when you take AI city, during that time you won't be able to negotiate peace. Now, I can't recall how long it lasts but try to slow down with your conquest because signing peace will least of your worries (depending on number of cities you conquered ).

4. Orlanduke

Orlanduke Chieftain

Well, after you capture a city, each civ will have a period of time, which I believe differs based on game speed, that they will not negotiate a peace treaty. This is in part to prevent players from just swallowing up a few easy cities, then immediately making peace. In reality, someone invades your lands and takes your cities, if you have enough resources, you at least want to Try and take them back.

My biggest problem is that civs who are currently invading my territory, and failing horribly (often losing many units and bumping my war score through the roof), still won't make peace, which is really annoying.

Well Mongolia is an extreme example, swallowing up city states is old Temujin's specialty, and in fact what drives the civilization.

What I find to be valuable is to tactfully forge alliances. If you really want to protect valuable city states, then you'll need to build up enough of a military to make a Pledge of Protection, and ideally get some other civs to gang up on whatever civ is doing the warmongering, they're usually bottom of the bin in terms of approval anyways. If you go to war with the civ, and ally the city states you want to keep, they will also go to war, and in the case of Mongolia, prevent them from insta-annexing them.

5. smerka

smerka Chieftain

I have been at war with them since the Industrial age and now we are in Modern age (over 25 turns of one sided war). I don't know many wars which have lasted multiple ages irl, so to me that is immersion breaking.

Initially I did not attack thinking I would get a white peace eventually, after killing many units until they had none defending them, but no peace was possible (Who wouldn't accept a peace proposal in this situation? I was willing to let them live but seems they don't care about living and would rather fight until death). Even my military advisor is telling me I have won and their nations are becoming broke due to the war and falling behind in tech.

Very unrealistic unless every war is a WW2. Where can I remove this cool down? Thanks.

6. smerka

smerka Chieftain

Does pledge to protect stop those insta-annexes?

7. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

To peacefully annex a City-State, Mongolia has got to be able to hard-tribute.
    A pledge of protection increases the value necessary for a hard-tribute, so it does help, but it won't stop it altogether.

8. smerka

smerka Chieftain

Yep Mongolia were still able to do it. I will have to declare war, but from now on I will be disabling him. Thanks for the info anyway

9. BenchBreaker

BenchBreaker Warlord

yeah I experience this too it's really annoying, they basically have no chance but refuses to surrender

10. pandasnail

pandasnail Prince

Awww, I love facing Mongolia. Don't think of them as a CS taker, think of them as a future City State ally delivery service :D. And they're so so good at distracting the Peacemonger Alliance in the early game too.

11. hokath

hokath King

I don't think it is accessible to mere mortals such as ourselves.
    I may be wrong.

Overall though I think this issue is still a work in progress, so hold tight. The situation is clearly undesirable, at least to my point of view.

12. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Yeah, there's no workaround. He didn't specify his version, so he may still be on the super-stubborn bugged version from some time ago.

13. smerka

smerka Chieftain

I am on the April 9th beta version, if that helps.

14. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

I believe that the main issue is that the communication is not clear. If when talking with the AI they would say something along the lines of "This is no time for peace, we'll liberate our cities from your tiranny", it would make it less jarring and better communicate this hidden peace lock.

15. PandorasActor

PandorasActor Chieftain

Played my first game with the Beta last night. Went to war with Byzantium on like turn 80 and by turn ~300 we were still at war, she would not negotiate. The deal was always "Impossible!" I only captured one of her cities during the entire war. Bug on my end or does anyone know if this is working as intended? Either way i'll re-install the Beta.

16. smerka

smerka Chieftain

Problem is how do they know I won't give them back their cities for peace if they won't even let me make a proposal. (I would have been willing to so I could focus on the larger and more powerful Civ)

17. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

On topic of stubbornness, had a game where Progress! Zulu declared war on the poor ol' authority me, sending a few warriors/spears/horsies/whatever and basically feeding me free Science + Culture.

Then he declared war again, did the same on a greater scale, another peace.

Napoleon did a similar thing once - sent like 4 warriors on one of my cities (had something inside, no way it could've won), I killed a few, Peace. Barely Peace treaty ends, another war, this time with a few spears and chariots. Peace. The same again with more chariots and spears. Peace. The same.

There's no way he could've conquered anything with the meagre force he's had, he should've waited a bit longer and gotten something really overwhelming (or, preferably, catapults as I had a few centaurs myself)

18. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

I also think the warscore doesn't accurately reflect the state of the affair. Too many times now I have checked if I can sue for peace and the warscore says it is impossible when in fact the AI says OK, or conversely it says peace should be fine but they refuse offers of it.
    Then there are the times when I sue for peace with me asking reasonable demands of them and they refuse only to to offer a better deal for me on the next turn.

19. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

If I've understood correctly how warscore works, there is no relation between warscore and possibility of making peace.
    The warscore is used to calculate how many you can ask to the looser when making a peace treaty.
    The AI choose when it want or not to make peace, it is not correlated to the war score.

If your ennemy has one good friend, you can try to sell "peace treaty with X" to them. There is some conditions to be able to do so.

20. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Hmm... that being the case I need to read up more on this feature. Thank you.