Air war

kettyo

Seeker of Reality
I would like to have any posts about air war strategies.

I have some questions for the start.
Do anybody know:
-what is the intercept range of fighters?
-whether fighters on intercept mission can shoot down opposing interceptors (in intercept range)?
-whether fighters/bombers on a bombing/airstrike mission can damage/destroy a defending interceptor?

Thanks for any additions.

I can only answer the last one:
Yes, Fighters/Interceptors on bombing/airstrike mission can damage or destroy defending fighters/interceptors. (Stealth-)Bombers however cannot do this

-I'm not certain, but I think the intercept range is the same as the "range" stat listed on the unit.
-No, one of the two has to be on an attack run for the other to intercept it
-Fighter-types on an attack run can occasionally damage/destroy an enemy interceptor. However, AFAIK Bomber-types can't do so.

Thx for the fast answer guys.

I remember somebody wrote in this forum that this 'interceptor clash' is possible but i personally don't think so.

Also somebody wrote that intercept range is half of mission range.
I dunno about this one.
The civilopedia tells nothing about this.
So probably it's the same as mission range as Artanis said.

Added to that: what's the intercept range of a SAM infantry? I've had enemy SAM's shoot down stealths & fighters when they were at least a square away from the square my aircraft tried to bomb.

SLM said:
Added to that: what's the intercept range of a SAM infantry? I've had enemy SAM's shoot down stealths & fighters when they were at least a square away from the square my aircraft tried to bomb.

According to civilopedia airdefence capable units (destroyers,sam inf.,mech inf.) defend against air units attacking their own tiles and the adjacent ones.

Though i don't know what is the effect of multiple sam units together.
Are they more effective?
I think not because planes also go in one by one so probably only one sam unit and one interceptor defends because of fairness.
But maybe i'm wrong.

In my last war I had multiple occasions where there was only one SAM Infantry defending a spot but more than one bomber got intercepted by it in the same turn during airstrike missions.

So I assume that SAM infantry (and probably mech. inf.) work different than interceptors.

Maybe every SAM unit on the tile attacked (or adjacent to it) gets a chance to intercept a certain bomber on a bombard or airstrike mission (so that you can increase your chances to intercept enemy bombers by stacking SAM (or mnech. inf) units.

What I love about the AI, it will build planes and put them in bordering cities, to use against you. When I go to war I will throw my tanks into those cities. You get to immediately kill those planes,without even a fight against them. (Just need to take out the ground forces). It's a win - win situation for you.

Actually, in my experiences they just place a lot of planes in every city so they can attack you whenever they want. When attacking their cities, I prefer to place jet fighters in my own cities, rather than SAMs or mechanized infantry to prevent them from bombarding my units (even 2 or 3 bombers can devastate your army because of collateral damage and 30 and 40% of interception just isn't enough for me) and from destroying my improvements.

If the AI has planes in its city farther back, thats ok too. This means he will have trouble trying to push in behind your front lines. They have have great range sometimes, but still you know your back end is secured.

The AI I try to conquer at the moment doesn´t give me a problem with fighters :D

It has developed all kinds of infantry, except mech. inf. and they also have WW2-style tank. But it doesn´t have developed the techs to even build WW2-fighters (and according to my spies it doesn´t have the intention to do so in the near future) :D

So the only thing I have to worry about are its SAM-Infantry (which you can find nearly everywhere and often succceeds in intercepting my stealth bombers) and his artillery (if he attacks me)

Top Bottom