• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

AIs in Deity LPs seem easier

And most deity games are still winnable, although some of them are not so fun. :crazyeye:

+1

The AI is so bad at winning the game that you can be quite a long way behind and still win a science victory by just teching to the correct things.

And then there are the games where you grind the AI down with artillery/bombers which takes forever to kill their 100 units.

Watching the korean scenario LP, the number of complete kills he get while the battle predictor said it wouldnt is getting ridiculous

I don't play a lot of Deity because I like to go random and proceed to do whatever I please. On Deity you have to have a gameplan and get somewhat lucky aswell. To win a totally random game on deity is rather hard and, atleast in my humble opinion, a lot of them can not be won. Every premeditated thing you do increases the odds drastically. Which is what I see on a lot of these LP streams

My point is that, besides everything else posted here, they might have cooked some settings and took particular civs which they knew they could handle if played right. While I agree that everything else is almost too easy, for me Deity takes away a lot of the freedom I so love about this game.

So not sure to what degree you premeditate things or cook your settings, but it makes a HUGE difference.

I don't play a lot of Deity because I like to go random and proceed to do whatever I please. On Deity you have to have a gameplan and get somewhat lucky aswell. To win a totally random game on deity is rather hard and, atleast in my humble opinion, a lot of them can not be won. Every premeditated thing you do increases the odds drastically. Which is what I see on a lot of these LP streams

My point is that, besides everything else posted here, they might have cooked some settings and took particular civs which they knew they could handle if played right. While I agree that everything else is almost too easy, for me Deity takes away a lot of the freedom I so love about this game.

So not sure to what degree you premeditate things or cook your settings, but it makes a HUGE difference.
None of the four listed cook settings. Don't know about the rest. That's why I said what I said before. Know your LP'er. :)
As for civs that they can handle... well, some civs indeed are better than others if you know how to capitalize on their strengths. But the viewers can play those too, can't they? ;) Sometimes hosts even attach their initial save to let others take a shot or play a public map.

None of the four listed cook settings. Don't know about the rest. That's why I said what I said before. Know your LP'er. :)
As for civs that they can handle... well, some civs indeed are better than others if you know how to capitalize on their strengths. But the viewers can play those too, can't they? ;) Sometimes hosts even attach their initial save to let others take a shot or play a public map.

Fair enough, but I think we have a different definition when it comes to "cooking settings" since I mostly play all random and try to get creative with my strategies, which makes Deity pretty frustrating usually. All I'm saying is that some games just can not be won on deity, no matter how good you are. It's a thinking man's game and knowledge can only get you so far. So tipping the odds slightly in your favor makes a HUGE difference and it's something which a lot of people do. Like playing on islands (we all know how bad the AI is at naval battles), adjusting the size of the map, playing the right civs, playing against the right civs, reloading a different map, saving and reloading, etc. Also certain strategies or openings are only viable or advisable depending on the circumstances.

I've watched some of the LP'ers mentioned, they are awesome at this game but none of the games they win (and a lot of it comes down to what, where and against whom they are playing) come close to the impossibility of most of the games I managed get myself into.

All I'm saying is that some games just can not be won on deity, no matter how good you are.

Maybe not when being as good as you are, but I cant imagine loosing a singleplayer game, no matter the settings and difficulty.

If a game is "hard" is all down to how much I selfrestrict myself with ai "abuses".

I've watched some of the LP'ers mentioned, they are awesome at this game but none of the games they win (and a lot of it comes down to what, where and against whom they are playing) come close to the impossibility of most of the games I managed get myself into.

just post a "impossible" starting safe - and i ll give u turn 50 save in return where things dont look as "impossible" anymore ..

Fair enough, but I think we have a different definition when it comes to "cooking settings" since I mostly play all random and try to get creative with my strategies, which makes Deity pretty frustrating usually. All I'm saying is that some games just can not be won on deity, no matter how good you are. It's a thinking man's game and knowledge can only get you so far. So tipping the odds slightly in your favor makes a HUGE difference and it's something which a lot of people do. Like playing on islands (we all know how bad the AI is at naval battles), adjusting the size of the map, playing the right civs, playing against the right civs, reloading a different map, saving and reloading, etc. Also certain strategies or openings are only viable or advisable depending on the circumstances.

Picking a civ and map type is not really cooking settings. Cooking settings is picking a very specific map script that favors your civ (e.g. great plains for Mongolia), hand picking opponents, playing marathon, removing science victory etc. Playing standard pangaea as a civ of your choice is not what gonna make the game harder or easier. Most likely being too creative with your strategies is what gets you in trouble. I can only agree that the best thing for you to do is to post a game you have difficulties with and get some feedback. This and participate in Deity Challenges. ;)

just post a "impossible" starting safe - and i ll give u turn 50 save in return where things dont look as "impossible" anymore ..

This seems like an interesting challenge, although I'm a bit surprised that you feel T50 is far enough in.

Top Bottom