All about the Inuit.

+2 food per citizen if there's a tundra tile? So, essentially, a city with at least one tundra tile has unlimited sustainable growth as long as there are tiles with at least one food (plus things like granaries will allow population on top of that)? That's too powerful, especially for a people who did not have a large population. I like the free happiness idea that killmeplease posted. Alternatively, something like "one happiness per ice and tundra tile inside your territory." Cities would naturally be small because Tundra doesn't have a lot of food. If you want, you could give one production to Tundra as well because I could see that being a problem.

As an alternative or addition, how about let them move through ice and snow tiles? If they're an ice civ, it would make sense to let them move through there without obstruction.

For the Dogsled, it seems odd to be both extra attack and cheaper. Why not give it a significant cost drop (like 40) and the added move bonus on tundra but not actually give it a combat advantage? To emphasize the snow connection, how about make it a three move unit, but double its moves on Tundra and snow (so it'll be 6 move)?

Just some ideas :)

+2 food per citizen if there's a tundra tile? So, essentially, a city with at least one tundra tile has unlimited sustainable growth as long as there are tiles with at least one food (plus things like granaries will allow population on top of that)? That's too powerful, especially for a people who did not have a large population. I like the free happiness idea that killmeplease posted. Alternatively, something like "one happiness per ice and tundra tile inside your territory." Cities would naturally be small because Tundra doesn't have a lot of food. If you want, you could give one production to Tundra as well because I could see that being a problem.

As an alternative or addition, how about let them move through ice and snow tiles? If they're an ice civ, it would make sense to let them move through there without obstruction.

For the Dogsled, it seems odd to be both extra attack and cheaper. Why not give it a significant cost drop (like 40) and the added move bonus on tundra but not actually give it a combat advantage? To emphasize the snow connection, how about make it a three move unit, but double its moves on Tundra and snow (so it'll be 6 move)?

Just some ideas :)

Thank you for your input. I was beginning to think the same thing. That alternative idea for a unique ability seems like it would work more realistically, and encourage the player to behave like the real Inuit. I will edit the post and replace the original idea with this one, and have the original idea as the alternative one.

Yeah, imo, there are three things you want to look for in a Unique Ability

First, it should be fun to play as the civ
Second, it should give them a unique playstyle separate from other civs
Third, it should feel how you would expect such a civ to play based on their history

I think you had the first two, but the third was a bit strange under your ability. Happiness is interesting because I could see a lot of Inuit Golden Ages, even though their cities would still be relatively small. I do think the ability to walk freely through snow is important. They were a polar civ, but a transcontinental people and that would be part of their draw.

You are correct. With this adjustment I believe it would work, although I will leave the other unique ability idea on the list as food for thought.

I read in the 2K Forums that the Huns are one of the new expansion civilizations. This is good news. It means that the Inuit are a definite possibility of either being an expansion civilization, or being a DLC shortly after.

Maybe we have won the fight for the Inuit.

We are looking for the best Inuit song or music for their theme music. Most of what I found is Inuit throat singing, thus an appropriate choice, however I want to find a really good piece of music for their theme. The first link is a good one, but has a different start to it.

Music theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAKH4KdRY0, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QuNdfb-Yw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaNUhqnPbU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-bcO5b-og, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRhkTITvFE&feature=relmfu

We are looking for someone who is willing to make a picture of the Inuit leader Apanuugpak. See previous posts for details on this leader, and contact me if you are willing to make a picture. Any media is fine.

It has become considerably more likely that the Inuit will be added into the game, due to rise in awareness, popularity, and the fact that Polynesia and the Huns have both made it into the game for the first time, despite people feeling it was unlikely. News of the Huns is particularly good news, because of their lack of cities and nomadic status, and their limited existence. We have a list of cities for the Inuit, and they have been around for a very long time, and are still around today, and prominent.

According to tofofnts's best civilization formula, the Inuit get a score of 464. This is a good score. Have a look at the score board so far.

30. Texas: 5.6
29. New Zealand: 18
28. Zulu Empire: 49
27. Yugoslavia: 82
26. Australia: 100
25. Polynesian Empire: 117
24. Minoan Crete: 215
23. Finland: 225
22. Songhai: 389
21. Great Zimbabwe: 395
20. Canada: 429
14. Inuit: 464

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458424

According to tofofnts's best civilization formula, the Inuit get a score of 2318.4. This is a good score. Have a look at the score board so far.
It's outdated
The duration he used for them was wrong
Inuits score around 400-500 at most - but even that's with a little exaggaration in duration

Collecting several ideas, how about:
UA Arctic Blessing:Cities founded on snow or tundra do not increase city unhappiness, sea and bonus resources provide +1 food and units can cross ice tiles
UI Ice Trap: built on snow tiles and tundra tiles next to water, +1 food +1 Production no maintenance costs
UU Dog sledge:Replaces Horse Archer, costs 40 prod and double movement on snow, tundra and ice.

This would try and emphasise the Inuit as a civ able to settle and thrive in areas avoided by other civs, leaving them flexible to pursue any victory type.

It's outdated
The duration he used for them was wrong
Inuits score around 400-500 at most - but even that's with a little exaggaration in duration

I just found out. Even with this score they are doing much better than civilizations such as the Zulu and Polynesia. I do not see how you think it is an exaggeration in duration?

Collecting several ideas, how about:
UA Arctic Blessing:Cities founded on snow or tundra do not increase city unhappiness, sea and bonus resources provide +1 food and units can cross ice tiles
UI Ice Trap: built on snow tiles and tundra tiles next to water, +1 food +1 Production no maintenance costs
UU Dog sledge:Replaces Horse Archer, costs 40 prod and double movement on snow, tundra and ice.

This would try and emphasise the Inuit as a civ able to settle and thrive in areas avoided by other civs, leaving them flexible to pursue any victory type.

We already have the Qamutik as a main idea. Your Arctic Blessing unique ability seems like a fair idea. Have you read the other ideas?

I just found out. Even with this score they are doing much better than civilizations such as the Zulu and Polynesia. I do not see how you think it is an exaggeration in duration?

Indeed, it's still a decent score for the Inuit
And don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Inuits at all
I just don't feel that using such high duration for them is fair to the other civs...

Indeed, it's still a decent score for the Inuit
And don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Inuits at all
I just don't feel that using such high duration for them is fair to the other civs...

Explain how it is unfair. I am stating historical facts.

Is everyone happy with the unique abilities we have here? You are encouraged to post up alternative ideas. Tell us which three uniques you would have.

People of the Arctic.
Unique ability: +1 Food from camps and sea resources. +1 Production from tundra tiles. No defencive penalty to units on snow or tundra tiles.
Alternative Unique ability: No unhappiness from number of cities for cities build on snow or tundra tiles. Snow and tundra tiles provide one production bonus.
Alternative Unique ability: Cities founded on snow or tundra do not increase city unhappiness, sea and bonus resources provide +1 food.
Alternative Unique ability: Efficient animal use. Additional +1 food and +1 production from improved sources of Whales, Deer, and Furs. Starves at half-rate.

*Additionally to either Unique ability, Scouts, Settlers, and Qamutik units can move onto Ice tiles. There is a gradual penalty over time for units moving onto Ice tiles.

Unique unit: Qamutik "Dog sledge". Replaces Chariot. Cost 40, not 60. Strength 3. Ranged strength 7. Range 2. Movement 3. On tundra and snow the qamutik has 6 movement, 3 strength and 7 ranged strength. Does not require Horses to be built.
Rough terrain penalty. No defencive terrain bonus. No melee attack. Penalty attacking cities.

Unique improvement: Inuksuk. +1 Culture. +1 Food when built adjacent to Deer, Furs and Seal resources. Has 3 visibility range. Cannot be built on Jungle, Forest, Swamp, or Desert tiles.
Alternative Unique improvement: Ice trap. +4 Food. Can only be build on snow tiles adjacent to water or river tiles. Available at the Discovery of Sailing.
Alternative Unique Improvement: Igloo. Can only be built on tundra or snow, unlocked through Trapping. +1 food. +1 additional food for every adjacent source of Whales, Deer or Furs. No benefit from Civil Service or Fertilizer.

Unique building: Igloo - granary replacement. +2 production on ice tiles (NB: city tile as well), +2 food on whales (no +2 food from building and +1 from deer/wheat/bananas), lower production cost (40 production instead of 60).

Starting Bias: Coastal tundra and snow.

Music theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAKH4KdRY0, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QuNdfb-Yw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaNUhqnPbU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-bcO5b-og, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRhkTITvFE&feature=relmfu

Symbol and colours: Dark brown inuksuk (Stone landmark) with ice blue or cream background.

Strategy: Dominance victory is the most logical choice, however other victories may also be effective. Rabid expansion over the tundra and snow to build several cities near rivers and along the coast would be a good start. Early rush tactics with military units would be useful against any nearby civilizations and City States. Enemy resistance should be easier to control since most civilizations inhabit nearer to the centre of the map. Once spread across the territory, dig your roots in and build up for a wave of conquest.

i like the sound of it, however the improvements + useless tundra (fix) might backfire - the only issue is mass tundra farms could result in a food-heavy civ without enough happiness.

how will it work with G+K?

hail the inuet!

Part of the idea of this thread is to iron out the problems, and work out a balanced list of abilities that would work well in the game, and be unique and new to the gameplay.

The Unique improvements: The Inuksuk only produces a food bonus when built directly around certain resources. As explained above, they cannot be built at all on Jungle, Forest, Swamp, or Desert tiles. These should fit well into the game. Inuksuk also has the unique ability to show visibility up to three tiles away, making them act like watchtowers or permanent boarder scouts. This is my choice out of the two unique improvements, and I would match it with the Qamutik unique unit.
I have a reservation with the Ice trap unique improvement. A bonus of four food seems a lot, and a player could build them in rows along the coast and along rivers. If we gave them a maintenance it would help lesson this.

Top Bottom