All about the Inuit.

That portrait looks really good. I like the idea of having dogs in the picture as well.

A few small things. He should either have the carved goggles or the face tattoos or both. He should definitely have the muscle shell armour as he is said to have had. It would also be good to have an aurora, but we can live without it. Aside from those things I am really happy with that picture. Thank you for sharing it.

you can ask the artist to add those things and also a surrounding landscape to fill a diplo screen. if he wont help we could use this pic and add an arctic landscape from some arctic photo.

i dont think shell armor is really necessary as he didnt wear it all the time i believe ;)
or maybe he weared it under his anorak.

I will try to contact him.

Looking at his version I no longer see a need to have a landscape backdrop. I do see the need for the muscle shell armour. That is iconic to Apanuugpak, and would add to his appearance.

I would really like to make an Inuit civ for my Civ IV mod, I can even make leaderheads and units, the only problem is that I have no idea what their units should look like. I know it isn't Civ V but this will probably help create them in Civ V too. So if you could post a bunch of pictures I could use for a Swordsman, Spearman, Axeman, Archer, Charioteer, Horseman, Maceman, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Knight, Pike or anything really (obviously they don't have all of these units, but suggestions would be nice) that would be really cool of you. :goodjob:

I would really like to make an Inuit civ for my Civ IV mod, I can even make leaderheads and units, the only problem is that I have no idea what their units should look like. I know it isn't Civ V but this will probably help create them in Civ V too. So if you could post a bunch of pictures I could use for a Swordsman, Spearman, Axeman, Archer, Charioteer, Horseman, Maceman, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Knight, Pike or anything really (obviously they don't have all of these units, but suggestions would be nice) that would be really cool of you. :goodjob:

This would be useful to test ideas for them as a civilization. Also good for those who are playing Civilization IV.

You can type into google Inuit warrior and Inuit dog sled. If you have trouble finding pictures let me know.

How many units are you making for them? I am used to only up to two units. The first unit I would make for them is the qamutik. You can read what we have in this thread already, but it might need changes for Civilization IV.

When you have finished your mod you should post it in this thread.

Qamutik.

Bear hunter.

Koryak archers.

Inuit by his kayak.

Wow, I didn't realize there were was a whole thread devoted to the Inuit. I've actually just started working on an Inuit mod a few days ago. It's a good thing I found this thread!

Anyway, when I'm done the mod I'll post it up here. I took some pictures from this thread to use for the time being, although I'll probably use different ones later. (Which reminds me, if anyone can make nice .dds files to use as icons, that would be great.)

I'm also really impressed with how much information you've found for the Inuit and Apanuugak. I really couldn't find a lot. Do you still have the links to the resources that you used to get that info?

I also want to mention that I've nearly succeeded in implementing an Ice Walk. All the tiles still cost what they usually cost, and rivers still stop you. However, all Ice Tiles are now passable at a rate of 1 MP per hex. Lake/Coast/Ocean tiles are not crossable. Neither are any natural wonders.

The biggest problems that I have with the Ice Walk is that Mountain tiles are freely passable, and Ice Walk is not compatible with embarkation. (When a unit with Ice Walk gets Embarkation, you are no longer able to walk on Ice. You are also not able to embark into any water tiles (coast, lake, ocean) unless that tile has ice. I.e. you can only embark into ice tiles. This means Ice Walk won't be able to be a Inuit wide ability. I was going to limit it only to the Qamutiq, which I'll probably make obsolete at Optics now, to avoid Ice Walk/Embarkation problem.

Just thought I'd share.

Is there a reason Iqaluit is the capitol and not Nuuk?

Iqaluit is the the heart of Inuit territory and is in the state of Nunavut. Nunavut is the only state that is owned by the Inuit, and is the centre of politics involving Inuit people in Canada. Nuuk is in Greenland, which is not governed by the Inuit even though most people who live there are Inuit. The capital of any civilization is not always the city with the largest population, but is an important centre for that civilizations politics and governmental system.
I will place Nuuk as an alternative capital.

Wow, I didn't realize there were was a whole thread devoted to the Inuit. I've actually just started working on an Inuit mod a few days ago. It's a good thing I found this thread!

Anyway, when I'm done the mod I'll post it up here. I took some pictures from this thread to use for the time being, although I'll probably use different ones later. (Which reminds me, if anyone can make nice .dds files to use as icons, that would be great.)

I'm also really impressed with how much information you've found for the Inuit and Apanuugak. I really couldn't find a lot. Do you still have the links to the resources that you used to get that info?

I also want to mention that I've nearly succeeded in implementing an Ice Walk. All the tiles still cost what they usually cost, and rivers still stop you. However, all Ice Tiles are now passable at a rate of 1 MP per hex. Lake/Coast/Ocean tiles are not crossable. Neither are any natural wonders.

The biggest problems that I have with the Ice Walk is that Mountain tiles are freely passable, and Ice Walk is not compatible with embarkation. (When a unit with Ice Walk gets Embarkation, you are no longer able to walk on Ice. You are also not able to embark into any water tiles (coast, lake, ocean) unless that tile has ice. I.e. you can only embark into ice tiles. This means Ice Walk won't be able to be a Inuit wide ability. I was going to limit it only to the Qamutiq, which I'll probably make obsolete at Optics now, to avoid Ice Walk/Embarkation problem.

Just thought I'd share.

I am glad you found our thread. I look forward to your mod.
I would not make ice walking obsolete. It would also be good to allow settlers and scouts to cross the ice as well as the qamutik.

This is one link that has information on Apanuugpak. http://www.echospace.org/articles/261/sections/621

I don`t think it would be a good idea to give settlers and scouts the ability to ice walk, unless there`s a way to get ice walk to work with embarkation. Currently, I`ve limited ice walk to the qamutik, but I've given it the ability to found cities on foreign continents. This way, you could send qamutiks over the polar ice (in theory) and then found cities on foreign continents, just like the real Inuit! The only problem is that, often, you won't find two continents attached to the same polar ice cap. Maybe we can include a script with the mod that creates a "bering strait" only when the Inuit are on the map? I wouldn't know how to do that; I'm kind of an amateur.

The UB I made is an Inuksuk. It gives +2 culture, +1 Food on Deer and Whales, and all scouts trained in city Scouting I, to reflect its use as monuments, hunting grounds, and reference points.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the UA. I'm not really very good at making them, first of all. I did make a UA that gave the Inuit bonus on tundra resources (deer, furs, whales), but the biggest problem with giving the Inuit a UA that just gives extra tile yields is that it's very boring, and doesn't really made the Inuit all that fun to play. I might just post the mod up without a UA, and maybe a better modder could look at that?

I've also made the Inuit colors "reverse sweden". That is to say, Primary=Blue, Secondary=Yellow. I think it's a decent color scheme. Does anyone else have other ideas for color schemes?

I've also made Nuuk the capital, because it was a larger city and the capital of a sovereign (for the most part) state. But we can talk about the city list later. I'm not very set on mine.

I also had a hard time coming up with spy names.

Also, for the time being, my mod is only compatible with G&K. I can try to make it compatible for vanilla as well, but because I am an amateur, I may not be able to.

Unique ability. +1 Food from camps and sea resources. +1 Production from tundra tiles. No defencive penalty to units on snow or tundra tiles.
This may not be very exciting, but it is needed if they are to develop the way they should on the tundra and snow.

The colours of blue and yellow would work for them, however I would much prefer dark brown and cream, or dark brown and ice blue. This would be better.

Spy names I am not sure of either. I did not know you would need to do this? You could try just using names of important characters in Inuit mythology if you cannot find anything.

It will be interesting to try out your mod.

I chose blue and yellow because I'm planning on using a civ icon that's based off the nunavut code of arms. I took some spy names from inuit mythology and a movie about inuit mythology. I'll use that UA for the time being, but I think it needs to be worked on, because it doesn't offer a very unique playstyle, beyond not experiencing drawbacks from settling in tundra.

I was thinking some kind of UA that allows the Inuit to heal a whole lot more than usual in tundra/snow tiles. That way, the Inuit could have an advantage in maintaining Arctic/Subarctic sovereignity.

Spy names are only for G&K. Do you have G&K? I wanted to make my mod work well on G&K before trying to port it to vanilla.

Being able to build up a civilization on the snow and tundra is a unique playstyle. The qamutik ability with the ice improves on this as well. That is an interesting idea of healing better on snow and tundra. I am unsure if it would be the best idea, but this will test it if you make it that way.

I have G&K expansion pack. It will work well for me. How long before you are finished?

Well, it's not really going to be finished until we've tested it and balanced it and made it as good as it can be, but I'll upload some playable versions with placeholder art for testing and such probably rather soon.

I'm also not sure the food bonus should be on all camp and sea improvements. I can't imagine the Inuit being particularly proficient at harvesting truffles or pearls. For the time being I'll make a mod that gives +1 Food on Deer, Furs, and Whales, as well as production/defensive bonuses.

Iqaluit is the the heart of Inuit territory and is in the state of Nunavut. Nunavut is the only state that is owned by the Inuit, and is the centre of politics involving Inuit people in Canada. Nuuk is in Greenland, which is not governed by the Inuit even though most people who live there are Inuit. The capital of any civilization is not always the city with the largest population, but is an important centre for that civilizations politics and governmental system.
I will place Nuuk as an alternative capital.
Hey you don't have to. I was just interested in why. :D

Top Bottom