All about the Inuit.

Oh, I see. Well, when you extract it, it should be extracted into a folder that contains all the game files (which should be a bunch of subfolders and the modinfo file). Then you put it in your mods directory. If you are using windows 7, that should be YOURUSERNAME/MyDocuments/MyGames/SidMeier'sCivilizationV/MODS

Just put it in there, and you can load it up in game.

It works now and I have begun testing the mod. It may be useful to keep the Inuksuk as a building the way you have it. It is a good start for the scouts.

A few things about the mod.
Can you add theme music for the Inuit? Every civilization has a music tract just for them. I would prefer my choice of colours - Dark brown inuksuk (Stone landmark) with cream background, or ice blue background. The colours you have do not reflect the culture as well as they should, and look like the colours for Egypt. Yellow and blue also is not representing all of the Inuit.
The start bias does not work as well as it should as I have started too far from the tundra and snow in a couple of games. One game I started near a desert.
You need to change the city name 'Rankin Inlet' to Kangiqiniq. You can post your complete list of cities so I can compare to the one I posted on the first page? I like that you have Ignaluk as a city, as I have not listed any Inuit cities from Alaska or Russia.
I would prefer the title of the ability to be called 'People of the Arctic' instead of 'Arctic Hunters'.

I am still considering the rest. You have done well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you can add custom sound of any kind to the game yet. I think Putmalk has been trying for a while and he just can't manage it. For the time being, I won't be able to add Inuit music, at least until someone figures the sound thing out.

What do you mean by "cream"? There appear to be many shades.

I can change the names of cities and the UA name pretty easily. What do you think of the Qamutiq? It still has some minor problems, for instance, it has mountain walk although it shouldn't, and ice walk isn't particularly useful yet.

I noticed the same problem with the start bias. I'm going to see if I can prioritize the Inuit's start bias in some way.

Here's the city list. I made it very quickly, so I'll be glad to change the names/order.
Spoiler :
Nuuk
Iqaluit
Rankin Inlet
Ignaluk
Arviat
Nunajnguk
Imaqliq
Qaanaaq
Vali
Kuujjuaq
Baker Lake
Makkovik
Igloolik
Inukjuak
Cambridge Bay
Pangnirtung
Salluit
Rigolet
Puvirnituq
Pond Inlet
Ivujivik
Kangiqsujuaq
Kugluktuk
Hiurapaluk
Kangiqsualujjuaq
Cape Dorset
Kangirsuk
Akulivik
Quaqtaq
Umiujaq
Etah

I will study the list of city names you have there. Do you have a source of where you found them? I will also let you know what I think about the Qamutik soon.

See if you can find a cream colour that suits the Inuit culture. You can use ice blue in stead if you think it is better.

I no longer have the sources for the city names. I just went to wikipedia and looked at the articles for different tribes and took various settlements as city names. I tried to make the more populous cities near the top. Sorry I can't be of more help on this.

I think I will use ice blue instead.

@trystero49
I've been making a mod of my own that adds the Inuit when I came along your mod.
Seeing that your artwork is much better than what I could do, could I use any of the artwork?

Is that what your Arctic Hunters trait that you posted in a different thread was all about? I was about to mention that I made a trait called Arctic Hunters, and it was a weird coincidence, but I figured it was kind of irrelevant.

You can definitely use the artwork, but I should mention that basically all of the artwork was jacked from the internet. (I have put the sources in comments in the code...somewhere). For future reference, anyone can take anything and everything from my mod; pillage and raid at will.

Most of the work I did on the art was basically cropping and shoddy digital manipulation, anyway.

Thanks! Although, to be fair, your art is probably better than what I would be able to do. I still am confused about a lot of things.

And a very weird coincidence it was!

What do you think of the Qamutiq? It still has some minor problems, for instance, it has mountain walk although it shouldn't, and ice walk isn't particularly useful yet.

The Qamutik should not require the Wheel technology, as they do not use wheels. You need to set it back to Domestication, as they require domesticating dogs. They are useful with their set of abilities. I am still unsure about what to do with the settling a new city ability. It works well for them together will their ability to cross ice, and with how fast they move, but is it over powered? I could build lots of them and forget about the Settler. We need to work this out.

Will you update this soon? I am wanting to test it with the changes.

I would say it's not overpowered, because the Qamutiq cannot embark. I can't give embarkation and ice walk to the same unit; it breaks it. You could build a bunch of qamutiq units, but you won't be able to settle them all, unless you get really lucky.

The idea with the qamutiq was that it would cross a "bering strait" type ice path, and settle a couple of cities in a continent elsewhere, to sort of emulate the real life spread of the Inuit. However, you rarely get the opportunity to do this, because bering straits don't seem to form on "Continents" maps.

I've been a little busy, so I haven't worked much on updating it, but I'll start on it now. Let me just recap the changes:

1) Change Rankin Inlet to Inuit name
2) Qamutiq starts at "Domestication". I assume this means "Animal Husbandry?"
3) Change Icon and Civ Colors.
4) Change trait name
5) Fix start bias.

Those five changes will do for now. I will be testing the Qamutik with the adjusted start bias to see how much that effects it.

It's been a while since I've last updated because I've been somewhat busy, but you can find a new version of the mod at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11787501#post11787501

I've decided to post there because someone posted artwork there, so it seems like that thread has some more attention.

I was also wondering if maybe we should look at developing some kind of inuit scenario, where different inuit tribes attempt to gain control over certain resource heavy arctic regions. It would be a great way to implement ice walk in a meaningful way.

It's been a while since I've last updated because I've been somewhat busy, but you can find a new version of the mod at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11787501#post11787501

I've decided to post there because someone posted artwork there, so it seems like that thread has some more attention.

I was also wondering if maybe we should look at developing some kind of inuit scenario, where different inuit tribes attempt to gain control over certain resource heavy arctic regions. It would be a great way to implement ice walk in a meaningful way.

Thank you for releasing the Inuit civ separately; it was a pain to download that NABA modpack just to get the one choice I wanted in there. :)

Thank you for releasing the Inuit civ separately; it was a pain to download that NABA modpack just to get the one choice I wanted in there. :)

The NABA modpack has a different Inuit Civ made by someone else independently. Just so you know, you aren't getting the Inuit civ from the NABA modpack when you download this.

I will test this updated version. Thank you for the effort. Your work is much appreciated, and not only by me.

I know of the perfect scenario. You can read about the history between the Inuit and Vikings living in Greenland on the first page of this thread. A scenario based on this you could play as either Inuit or Vikings, two cultures trying to survive the Little Ice Age, and trying to be the dominant people of Greenland.

I will test this updated version. Thank you for the effort. Your work is much appreciated, and not only by me.

I know of the perfect scenario. You can read about the history between the Inuit and Vikings living in Greenland on the first page of this thread. A scenario based on this you could play as either Inuit or Vikings, two cultures trying to survive the Little Ice Age, and trying to be the dominant people of Greenland.

I'd definitely play that one; if you decide to add that scenario, please let me know. :goodjob:

Top Bottom