All Keyboard Cheats for Civ 4

Louis the XIV

Sun King
If you're reading this I'm assuming you have the Cheat enabled. How to enable the cheat is stated here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cheat-code-help-with-the-world-builder.134287/
I didn't see any threads on how to access cheats from your Keyboard in Civ 4 so I decided to make a thread. Maybe one of the Mods can make it a sticky:)? If there already is a thread on the cheats please let me know so I can ask a mod to delete this thread! Also these Cheats are not activated with the Python Console, to open the Python Console click ~
Note: I do not take any responsibility for what happens. If your game crashes it is not my fault, I suggest saving the game before trying these as to not Risk. Using the Python Console will make the Exit to Main Menu option disappear (no idea why). Thank you for your understanding:thumbsup:
Free Promotion:
Select a unit and click Ctrl and + and the unit will be able to be promoted.
Free Culture: Select/Open a city and click Ctrl and +, this will increase culture with 10.
Award Techs and Gold: click Shift + T and a screen will show up. You can award techs through eras and gold to all or one of the players. To close the window just click OK.
Seeing Everything: This can be used by opening WB or by clicking Ctrl and Z. when clicked you will see every single player, what their researching, what their building in cities..etc..
Switching Players: to Switch players click Ctrl and Alt and Z. this will switch you to the next player.
Wonder Movie: click Ctrl and Shift and W you will be able to see any wonder movie you want.
Changing Graphics: by clicking Ctrl and D you will see a screen popup. It is fairly easy to understand it and there are over 100 things to do so I'll just list some of the interesting ones:
-Going to the Throne Room
-Launching the Space Ship (you don't win though)
-Hiding any kind of object you want
Debug Menu: if you click Ctrl and U the Debug Screen will show up. I'm still not sure what it can do but try it out yourself! One thing I know you can do is change the Animation and make it move muuuuuuuuch faster!
Hiding Some Annoying Stuff: After you open the Debug Menu on the side of your screen there will be a line of random letters and numbers, to hide it click Ctrl and Shift and F.
Increasing Gold by 1000: pressing Shift and 4 will increase your gold by 1000
Adding 1 Population: holding Shift and + will increase the selected cities population by 1.
Placing Objects: by pressing Ctrl and Shift and Left Clicking on a plot the Insert Screen will popup that lets you select a Unit/City to place on the plot.

Whenever I find a new cheat I'll edit this thread, if you find any cheats please comment them below so others know as well.
Also none of these work in MultiPlayer, I think that is for the best:goodjob:
Next I might do a Python Console Cheat tutorial!

Last edited:
You mentioned speeding animations up. Can you also slow them down?

You mentioned speeding animations up. Can you also slow them down?
Yes, there are 2 ways!
The easier one is to open the Graphic Popup with Ctrl D and you will see the first option is "Slow Motion".
The other way is with the Debug Menu, at the bottom of the popup there is a line which is halfway. If you make the line go to the left then the selected unit will go slower.

Someone seriously needs to sticky this. If I had known that several years ago my life would have been much easier.

I was surprised there wasn't already a thread on cheats!
I think the moderator in charge of the Civ 4 Customization and Creation is @Leoreth ,so he is in charge of making threads sticky.
I do think this might help Civ 4 newcomers or Civ 4 players that haven't played for too long.
By the way I haven't been able to find any other cheats so I think this is it. Also in the CvEventManager.py you can change what Keypress opens what.

Top Bottom