Aloha Embassy

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
Here's the text of a letter I just sent to Aloha:

Spoiler :
Hi Aloha,

I will be playing the save Monday morning. Anything I should be aware of? It seems as if some of the trade arrangements were negotiated through PMs or people's personal emails, which never got communicated into the Piffle forums. So please let me know (with exact copies of the communications) if I'm supposed to do something. 'Cause right now there's no mention of anything pending.

Much of this has already been said, but I want us to proceed with no hesitation about where we stand:
Epsilon must be nuked.
Manhattan Project is 13 (i think) turns from completion
Combustion must be researched
Rockets must be researched
Artillery (you already have)

We are a couple turns from democracy and a revolt. The revolt may take 2 turns, depending on how the economy works out to maximize cash-rushing civics.

It will make the most sense for us to coordinate research. What are you currently doing? I'm hoping you say that you're 1 turn from completing Combustion. If that's the case, we can do Industrialism or Flight. Then one of us does radio, and we turn research off for the rest of the game.

The big question I now have is, should we be assisting Innovia with gifts of troops? Piffle can't afford an open war with Epsilon - just look at the trade screen. I'm really concerned about how our economies are going to be hit when we declare on Epsilon and can't get resources from Innovia because they are dead. Is there a way we can keep them alive until we have nukes?

Please let me know your thoughts on all these points. We have GOT to coordinate. It clearly should have happened long ago, but perhaps cooler heads can now prevail.

Death to Epsilon,
Peter the Piffle

Message received from Robboo:

OK Peter. lets move beyond what happened in the past. I will tell you teh situation as casey left it. If that doesnt fit your ideas lets work on a new deal.

KC and I were working on getting nukes. They gave me gpt to get arty as fast as I can and thats when the wheels fell off in the game. Now we are working on radio. I want bombers to support a land invasion.

So what will it be. KC had talked about getting us up to tech parity otherwise we will not be part of the nuking. I will support you with a land invasion BUT not with nukes as things stand now.

Arty was funded by you guys. If this end sour cooperation then thats up to you. I dont want to dwell on what happened between KC and I. I rather hear what you propse as a way of taking out Epsilon or at least making them pay a bit.

You can respond to aloha's email or from the email I am sending this from. Both come to me.

Robboo the second and last Alohan

...to which I replied:

Hi Rob

I'm all for going nucular, but I'm a little in the dark about where Rocketry was going to be coming from. Were you guys going to research that? Was Innovia? The reason I ask is that there's no sense in Piffle building the Manhattan Project if we can't get to Rocketry.

Going against Epsilon without nukes will be futile. There's really no way to make any headway against their vast resource base. They have tons of pop, tons of MFG, and can run at over 1000 gpt with science turned off. A land invasion has to be supplemented by nukes.

So how do bombers fit into all of this? The closest town to Epsilon is Brilliant!, if I'm not mistaken. But even Brilliant! isn't close enough to hit anything, right? And just between you and me, Epsilon had a spy there the last I saw ;)

I still haven't heard back from Innovia about any of this - I wrote you guys a joint letter. I'm hoping that some of the friction between Piffle and Innovia will be softened by the changes going on.

This letter is rambling all over, so let me be blunt: If the three of us don't cooperate then we're each just fighting for second place. What fun is that? I'd rather the three of us Ally, behave as one organism against the threat of an Epsilon victory.

To do that, though, we need to slow Epsilon's progress against Innovia. Do you think they're past the point of salvation? Should we commit troops to help them over there? How quickly could you get units to them? Piffle could get forces there in about 5 turns.

But I keep coming back to the Nuke plan. I really think it could work. Double nuke a couple of cities, and sail in with some ground troops. Raze everything in sight. Have you ever done a nuclear war? I've only done them after I stopped caring about a game, so I really don't remember the details of the fallout and stuff. I know it can't be cleaned until Ecology, and I'm pretty sure Epsilon doesn't have that yet.

:salute:

Rob wrote back:
Rockets was supposed to be yours to get as far as I know. KC was always stecthy about details. IT made for a difficult alliance. Whats your suggestions.

I have done a nuke war adn your right on ecology. What ever we do however we need to do it quickly. MAyevb KC had a Great person route to rockets. I really dont know. I say do manhatten till one turn left then shelf it till we get rockets

My bomber plan is for my own protection and once we establish a beach head there we can then send in bombers. We also have to deal with their navy for me to get across. I saw my first non wooden boat from them last turn. So they have an advantage their too....

Innovia doesnt want us to send troops..last I heard I have been gifting them techs like arty to hopefully help. I asked them last turn to delay as long as possible so we can get our nuke plan operational.

LEt me know whats teh course of action

I replied with this, just after sending the save:
Hi all!

Piffle has proposed a health trade: Your bananas for our Wheat. If you can't part with the bananas, we understand. But a little more health would be nice for us.

Democracy will be done in 2. At that point, we'll have to stop the gold per turn gift, so as to accumulate as much cash as possible for rushing nukes. Manhattan is 12 turns away, and rockets is 7 running flat out. So the earliest we can do anything at all is in 13 turns: 1745. In that time, I expect Epsilon to have completed plastics. That's not good news, as you can see from the screenshot. They already have Industrialization, which means that by the time we are hitting them, they're going to have Tanks. We wont. We will have gunship capability, but Piffle doesn't have too many cities that are suitable for pumping out units. I guess we're going to go into a cash-rush economy.

Your city Renew is in bombing range of Sanctuary West. That's really good news, as I've discovered that Brilliant! is within bombing range of Argyle's Watch, Mighty Bulwark, and Sunset Fortress. Of those, Mighty Bulwark is the one we really want to raze: look at it closely on the map, as long as you have building turned on in globe view. There's some juicy targets in there!

I understand your desire for Radio, but bombers aren't defensive units in this game. If you really want to defend yourselves you'll get Combustion first. How long is it going to take you to finish Radio? After all, you can build subs with Radio and Combustion, which will really help keep their flotillas from your shores.

All the Best,
Peter the Piffle

Rob wrote back:

... Maybe KC had a Great person route to rockets. I really dont know ...

I replied with this, just after sending the save:

... we'll have to stop the gold per turn gift, so as to accumulate as much cash as possible for rushing nukes ...
The last PM that I got from KC said something about using a cash infusion from Aloha to do 100% research on Rocketry.

After all, you can build subs with Radio and Combustion, which will really help keep their flotillas from your shores.
I don't normally fool with subs, so I'm not sure ... But I thought they were easy prey for Destroyers. :dunno:

Subs really should be renamed as 'harbor mines'. They work best when stumbled upon - other than that, their only purpose in the game seems to be to sneak spies into enemy territory. They are very good at that.

But planting a couple of subs on a fish tile is almost always worth the investment - if the pillaging destroyer happens to withdraw, he is easy prey for your other sub. :evil:

ps - I'm glad to see some input here :) Hopefully we'll get more and more if the game speeds up.

Message from Robboo:

OK.. that sounds good. i will send the banana's

I think its 10 or 12 on radio. Subs was what i was looking for for ships defense. The bombers where my air support . At the time I started it, it appeared aloha was alone. The GPT was meant as a short term gift to get arty we had more invested in it than piffle.

The tanks are a problem, but gunships would make a big defense. Can you build railroads from the closest city all the way to Epsilon. We can jump on those and get things over quickly.

I am glad we are working together...any word from innovia

....to which I responded:
No, no word from Innovia. I am going to approach them again now.

Railroading all the way up to Epsilon can't be done in secret. The best way to accomplish that is on the very turn of the attack. you know - chain gangs :) But that will require around 20 workers. Still, since rails only provide 10 moves, that doesn't get us all that close. But you know, I'm only going from memory here. When I get a chance to open the save, I'll certainly look into that.

Have you looked inside Mighty Bulwark?.. Done the math?.. Look at the civics?.. MB is a vital organ of the Epsilonian Economy. Don't take my word for it, though. Look for yourself. That city is going to be a crucial one to eliminate. Neither of us can take it, as the risks of losing it back to Epsilon are too great. Mighty Bulwark must be razed.

So, Radio in 10 or 12... that's going to come in around when Rocketry and Manhattan comes in.... Perhaps Piffle should delay the completion of those a few turns so that Aloha can get some more military arranged?

Death to Epsilon,
Peter the Piffle

Short note from Rob:

I am finishing up a round of infrastructure right now...then i can go pure military I will need some transports and will start on them.

We were in shambles and near collapse but Piffle let us off the hook. I have rebuilt and fixed as much as I can but we still are not in a great position to provide loads of military. You will get what I can everything that I can give. Nukes will be the equalizers hopefully.

This is discouraging, indeed! It makes me think our assault on Epsilon will fizzle after the first turn. Ugh!

Proposed note to Aloha:
Greetings!
We've just completed Democracy, and so the home stretch to Nukes is at hand :) We'll have Manhattan Project in 11 turns (1755ad), so the plan should be to nuke the Eppies in 1760.

Perhaps it makes the most sense, considering the turn order, for us to gift you as much military as we can spare, so that we do the nuking and you do the invading. We've got a ship driving up your western coast right now. We could gift you those units shortly. The trick will be to do it outside of the watch of Epsilon - any ideas on that?

One other thing you should be aware of: We signed a "no boats within range" agreement with Epsilon. We can't move Galleons or Transports to within their movement range of Epsilon's shore. Because of this it would be very difficult for us to stage an invasion without them having advance knowledge.

Please let us know your thoughts,
Peter the Piffle

Aloha should be sending us gold back, really they should have sent us gold back once they got arty. They really need to send us every spare bit they have.

I can talk to Rob a bit and find out some info from him.

We need to settle on an attack plan: up coast through the rails or attack by ship or both?

If you can talk to Rob, please do! I don't really have a relationship with him. By my count, they've had Artillery for at least 4 turns, which means 167 * 4 = 668 gold, or almost 3 nukes :D

My idea for an attack is for us to nuke, and them to invade by ship. But I'm completely open to other ideas.

You gonna send some gold back our way in the MTDG? How much? We need to get to rocketry asap as Epsilon now is getting oil. Our window is gone if they get any more battleships.

Thanks for sending that, KC :)

I feel like they took some advantage of us during our change of Turnplayer. I didn't realize that they were only supposed to be getting cash to fund Artillery until a few days ago (about 2 turns ago). I really don't want to sour our relations, as we need them to hit Epsilon after we nuke them :evil:

robboo said:
can you cancel the deal..I will try to cancel it then see what I can spare. Glad to see you back in action, can you arrange us to get all your techs.

killercane said:
You gonna send some gold back our way in the MTDG? How much? We need to get to rocketry asap as Epsilon now is getting oil. Our window is gone if they get any more battleships.
Talk to Peter he is running the show as he is the msot dependable player we have. Im merely a mouthpiece. Will you be in position to attack Epsilon at the right time? 10 turns maybe? I think we all need to have a sitdown to plan this here (attempted) assassination

Message sent to Aloha with the 1710 save:
A quick update:
We're 10 turns from nuking Epsilon - 8 turns left on Rockets and Manhattan, a turn to build nukes, the next to use them.

We're gifting you units to assist in your invasion. They've got loads of battleships (as we're sure you're aware), so expect to lose anything that sits in the water after declaring war!

Best,
Peter

Proposed note to Aloha:

Hey guys,
We just sent you 1730. We will be nuking Epsilon on 1760. We are 5 turns from Manhattan Project and Rocketry to complete, and we'll be nuking Epsilon on the very next turn. You should be arranging your invasion force, taking care that Epsilon doesn't see the obvious. You know how to see where their spies are, right?

Also, there are even more battleships in the water than the last time we wrote. You're going to have to stack as many frigates as possible on your galleons. We need to discuss which cities to hit with nukes, so that your invasion force has a chance to land directly into a city. We definitely need to hit Mighty Bulwark, but that's not on the coast. We're also looking at taking out their Uranium and Oil. That's already 3 nukes, and we expect to have only 8 on the first turn. How would you like us to deploy the others?

Please get back to us with a detailed battle plan - we can't do this with short and sweet letters :)

-Piffle

EDIT: Sent 6/5/08

Response from Aloha - unfortunately, less detail than I had hoped for:

NO how can you see their spies.

I think you should concentrate hitting those cities which are connections to Mighty Bulwark. I will look and see what city I can reach on the1 turn. That will be my main target(s). You nuke I attack then they get the turn... I will say this..We are not in any position to stop a counterattack unless I can get a sub or two out. Which I dont think will be possible since my main production cities are coastal or close enough. HOWEVER... it will be what it will be, lets kick some epsilon butt

Well, I had hoped for good punctuation, at the very least :lol:

Okay, proposed response:

To see any nation's spies, zoom out to the 'above the clouds' view. Choose the Strategic Layer. That's the one with the homeric helmet (2nd from the left, if I recall correctly). From the pop-up menu, choose Domestic. This layer will show you the positions of certain units (as long as you have line of sight): settlers, workers, Great People, air units (fighters & bombers, no matter what their mission), and, most curiously, SPIES. This has been reported to have been fixed in a patch, but obviously the report was wrong. Epsilon currently has a Spy, named "The Queen" just outside the cultural borders of Brilliant!. Your Frigate should give you line of sight. It's an unrailroaded tile just east of our rail line terminus. We don't know if she's moving inside our territory every turn to investigate Brilliant, but we have to assume she is. We don't have line of sight into Aloha lands, so we can't tell you if Epsilon! has a spy there, but it's safe to assume they do.

As far as the war plans go, only attacking one city assures defeat. You need to hit at least two, preferably three. If that can't be done, then perhaps we need a different strategy.

Best,
Peter the Piffle

Am I being too hard on them? Should I divulge the secret of ferretting out spies?? :dunno:

EDIT: Sent 6/7/08

Response from Aloha 6/7:

OK I was waitign for this reply before playing. I will look see in the save and get back to you. I think I casn hit 2 or 3, but there will be some risk involved with possible ship destruction especially if they have subs lurking or ships that I dont see. i have been trackign their movements adn think I have accounted for all of teh ships. BUT i know they are a sneaky lot.
- Show quoted text -

Follow-up from Aloha 6/8:
Ok they have a spy in Aloha.

Here is what I see we can hit We can hit Sanctuary West and Argyles Watch.

I suggest hitting a nuke in each. In addition if you guys can attack Sunset fortress on the same turn you launch with land forces you will be in a position to go after mighty bulwark. Other cities I would target for nukes other than the capital would be Eternal Eye and Scion City Both are on the logical paths of troop to reinforce the cities we are attacking.

I need a 3 turn warning prior to launch. Things will be moving around to confuse the obvious. I got troops cutting circles in my territory and ships doing the same. None are more than 2 turns from their jumping off point.

I'll play in about 6 hours, at which point we'll be able to see what Epsilon did to their navy :scared:

I think it would operate best if we told Robboo what cities to hit and when. We also need to hit the UN city wherever it may be. If we kill enough pop they cant win by UN anyways I guess, but we need to keep them from building it for as long as possible so they cant rearrange tiles for growth and just replace the pop quicklike.

Sketchy my butt, I told him exactly the plan. Its around here somewheres; I'll find it.

PM from Robboo to me:

So when do you lanuch. I guess our co-operation has come to an end since I will be defending. When is launch turn so I can watch the forums for their reaction. They dealing with me may allow you to hit them hard.

I find this letter profoundly annoying. Perhaps it's because it's so humid here today, but I just want to scream at them: Not only have we told them several times about the timing of our strike, but they also have the nerve to lay the assault in our lap - right after we gifted them a bajillion units!! How on earth do respond to this diplomatically? :gripe:

Response sent to Robboo's PMbox:

Hi Rob,

On the contrary, I'd say that our cooperation is even more important now! You can't bail the plan to defend your core - rather, you still need to preserve a capability to hit their coast. Otherwise there's no point at all in nuking them. We gifted you guys just about every unit we had. I think there are about 10 units scattered around our cities, and that's about it.

As for the timing, it's in about 6 or 7 turns. I'm going to play the save in about 24 hours, so I'll send you another update.

It would really help us if you were able to give us as much detail as possible about their invasion: how many units, where, can you still see their navy, etc. Screenshots are probably the easiest way to do this.

Or are you considering suing for peace? Any techs that we have traded between us are off-limits in a peace deal, obviously.

Best,
Peter

Top Bottom