Already patched

negyvenketto

Scientist
Maybe not a big surprise for many of you and could be a reason why they haven't released the demo yet.
In this video they sometimes accidentally switched to Steam window (eg. at 28:10) where you can see the following items:
Civ V
Civ V - Demo
Civ V - Patch
Civ V - Press
I think this is an evidence of the 0 day patch we will receive. Not a big deal, I'm happy they keep polishing the game.

All tweaking will happen through patches, so this is not surprising. Good catch though.

It's good, as long as the patches aren't bigger than the entire game, like a certain other game I know of.

Ultimately zero-day patching means they can release the game about two-weeks early. Back before digital distribution once you'd gone gold that was it. All copies were being produced on disks and the data on those disks was set.

I think that's partly why there's a delayed release in RoW. If they're releasing the game as early as they possibly can in North America, then they simply don't have time to get the physical product to anywhere else. They can't just release the digital copy before the physical one because of the backlash they'd face from the retailers, who would perceive it as grossly unfair.

Ultimately zero-day patching means they can release the game about two-weeks early. Back before digital distribution once you'd gone gold that was it. All copies were being produced on disks and the data on those disks was set.

I think that's partly why there's a delayed release in RoW. If they're releasing the game as early as they possibly can in North America, then they simply don't have time to get the physical product to anywhere else. They can't just release the digital copy before the physical one because of the backlash they'd face from the retailers, who would perceive it as grossly unfair.

Thats not it, they will have disk printing facilities in all territorys, you have to book it months in advance, so all the products will be sat in a warehouse ready for distribution.

The only and I mean only reason for a delay is because of traditional "release" days of new products, in the US it has always been tuesday, in the uk and europe it has always been fridays. Brick and mortar shops fight absolutly every change to this date. And so everyone suffers the delayed release. Only massive console blockbusters like MW2 force Uk retailers to move the date forward.

The sooner digital distibution becomes the norm, the better it will be for PC gamers, we will see genuine world wide releases not pandering to a few stores that shove our hobby and chosen platform onto the few dusty shelves in the back corner behind the 2nd hand n64 games shelf.

I suppose they would have multiple production facilities.

That's a really stupid reason for release date assignment. Potentially it just hurts them. Steam can pretty much guarantee no zero-day piracy because any accessible game data is encrypted, but once copies in the US get unlocked, it's only a matter of time for cracked versions to appear online. 2-3 days is all it really takes.

Top Bottom