Amurites suggestions for flavour

Forral

Chieftain
I really like the way the Amurites are portrayed in lore. Something of a magocracy where some amount of magic courses through the veins of every single individual, and that magic takes up a part of each person's life. Yet, in the game they're given spellcasters that quickly rise to power depending on the amount of mana nodes you possess. It's not necessarily unfitting, but I feel it's not enough to portray the civilization.

They may have powerful mages, but to me their whole background would suggest that most of their units should have some measure of magical powers as well.

The Firebow is a really good indication of what I'm talking about, but I think their ancestry should shine through a lot more than that. What if, for example, Amurite workers had access to spells like Scorch and Spring, (if you have access to the mana types) suggesting that they use magic in order to better accomplish their duties in everyday life?

What if their common army was also coloured by the Amurite ancestry and society? What if their style of waging war could be a symbiosis of magic and cold steel? Instead of for example getting the usual Swordsmen and Champions, like other nations, they could receive Spellswords and Battlemages. The dynamics for these new units might also correspond more to the Adept>Mage>Archmage dynamic.

Instead of simply being able to build your average swordsman at a Training yard, they could follow a dynamic that lets you build these new Spellswords with a Training Yard AND Mages guild. These new units would then work as a symbiosis of Adept meets Swordsman. They would in effect be an Adept with increased strength and access to the weapon upgrades from resources and the warrior specific promotions, but without access to the mage specific promotions aside from spells.

You might also remove the Amurites ability to simply build Champions, instead requiring you to promote experienced spellswords into battlemages, similar to the way adepts and mages are handled. So your Spellsword would promote into a Battlemage once of sufficient level, gaining a strength boost equivalent to that of Champion, and access to second tier magic spells.

In terms of balance, a Spellsword might seem like a much better unit to build than an Adept, but the Spellsword>Battlemage line would never lead up the third tier and specialized magic that the Adept>Mage>Archmage would. Also, while Spellswords might seem much better than Swordsmen, they not only need a much greater investment to build (in terms of technologies and builds required and also hammers) but they also need to balance their promotions between new spells and promotions for direct combat.

The same rule follows for Battlemages versus Champions. A fireball throwing Battlemage might well be able to defeat most other nation's Champions, but the effort put into building one is also much greater.

Just an idea I've had in my head for a while.

-Forral

I like the main concept of this idea, a magic society. It will have to be teased out how each unit will work out. Battlemages seem similar to what vampires already are. Seems like this would be something for modmodders who like this idea, FF, Orbi, ect.

Why not just give the Amurites a special Immortal which can gain spells?

Example: It could only require a unit of level 4 experience, and it could begin with channeling III. Even if the unit had access to Archmage spells, you probably wouldn't want to give them more than access to one specific sphere, meaning that each one would be a bit more specialized than your normal Archmage.

Doesn't have to be Channeling III, II would work very well too.

Top Bottom