Amusing Manual Excerpt.

Sarda

Diety
Otto von Bismarck, also known as the “Iron Chancellor,” is perhaps the most
significant figure in German history

Anyone else find this amusing? :lol:

What do you find amusing about it?

People don't need to systematically kill 6 million Jews to become significant you know. Germany should be remembered for more than just Hitler, in my opinion.

I imagine that Sarda is alluding to the omission of a certain other German that's widely considered to have had a fairly large effect on world history.

Doesn't matter if he created the country, nor "what it should be remebered for.". Its amusing that Firaxis just pretends certain leaders never existed to the point of writing complete fiction. And I know I could put any amount of money on a bet that I could pull 50 people i've never met off the street here or in europe and ask "Who's the most significant person in German history" and have a 100% win for Adolf Hitler.

Doesn't matter if he created the country, nor "what it should be remebered for.". Its amusing that Firaxis just pretends certain leaders never existed to the point of writing complete fiction. And I know I could put any amount of money on a bet that I could pull 50 people i've never met off the street here or in europe and ask "Who's the most significant person in German history" and have a 100% win for Adolf Hitler.

It's a video game, not a historical simulation.

You know what would turn off a lot of people from purchasing this video game? Including Hitler.

I imagine that Sarda is alluding to the omission of a certain other German that's widely considered to have had a fairly large effect on world history.

Sure, but that's world history, not German history.

Most significant =/= most widely known.

Yes, I noticed that, too. I think everybody does. Note the weasel-word "perhaps". That's always a bad sign.

The should be changed to "is one of the most important figures in German history", which is true -- forged the country, etc. -- avoids the weasel-word, and doesn't make everybody who reads it go WTF.

Doesn't matter if he created the country, nor "what it should be remebered for.". Its amusing that Firaxis just pretends certain leaders never existed to the point of writing complete fiction.
It's not fiction; he had a large role in creating the country. Firaxis isn't pretending Hitler never existed any more than they are pretending that Herbert Hoover never existed; they just didn't pick Hoover or Hitler for the game.
And I know I could put any amount of money on a bet that I could pull 50 people i've never met off the street here or in europe and ask "Who's the most significant person in German history" and have a 100% win for Adolf Hitler.

The man on the street is notoriously ill informed; hence, your statement is meaningless.

Yah he was Austrian but thats kind of a moot point, were discusing "The most significant figure in German history." not "The most significant german in German history."

Yah he was Austrian but thats kind of a moot point, were discusing "The most significant figure in German history." not "The most significant german in German history."

Bismark created and built up a great nation.

Snicklgruber devastated it and nearly destroyed it due to his megalomania and general incompetence.

Considering the condition the country was in before he took power, what he built it into, and how the war shaped the world, technology, and pretty much every aspect of the modern world I still say Bismark is 2nd Fiddle at best. Clearly a safer choice, but the wording used to describe him is still wrong to the point of comedy.

Did they include Stalin? he was just as bad as Hitler? all the other Civs had him in it. Only difference with Hitler was that he set out to destroy an entire race, whilst Stalin set out to destroy an entire class.

But i do agree Bismark was a huge figure, creating Germany in 1871 , was a major political event that changed the balance of European power forever.

What to Germans feel about that statement? Btw they covered their bases with that "perhaps" bit :lol:

But yeah, that is a humorous line if only because the game goes to such great lengths to avoid any mention of Mr. Hilter. Not like they have much choice.

Cheers!
-Liq

p.s. not a typo on the name, guessing about 40% of fellow civvers recognize the reference without googling it.

I'm going to use the Firaxis method more in daily life. "Did you know Pepsi Clear was perhaps the most successful soft drink ever made?" lol

Top Bottom