An Evaluation: Why CIV 5 is an absolute atrocity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderator Action: As a general reminder: If you have nothing to add besides snide remarks, keep them to yourself, please. This forum is for civil discussion - if you like the game, great, if you dislike it, too bad but fine as well - there is no need to refrain from civility in either case.

Completely agree with 99% of the OP.

But, I'm still enjoying the game. But I can't see it lasting as long as Civ 4, and I'll probably move back to that game after a while.

I am too tired to retype the same points I have been harping on for the past couple of days, though I do want to say that I was basically laughed off the forums the morning after release for suggesting this game wasn't red-hot-awesome -- now we see who was right after all! </smug righteousness>

All I'll add is this: the more I play Civilization V, the more it makes me wish I was playing Civilization IV. I am hoping expansions/mods will make prevent this game from becoming what Civ3 is -- a laughingstock.

I loved Civ3. The thing is, Civ1 created an incredible base, Civ2 polished it and refined it. Civ3 made huge sweeping changes and created an incredible base, and CIV refined it and polished it.

Civ5 is the exact same thing. A ridiculously incredible base without the polish of experience. Modding will accelerate the process immensely though.

The problem with Civ 5 is that the kid who developed this game didnt follow Sid's advice. I wonder how many of you remember that video posted a few years ago where Sid was talking at a developers conference where he talked about NOT CHANGING TOO MUCH in the game to keep previous version players engaged. There are major problems with this game because of it.
I suspect if they had a mature person in charge of development they would have taken a more incremental and connected (to the previous games) path.

Fanboys note. There are HEAPS of people not happy with this game. They are not all wrong. I just find it no fun.

This looks to me to similiar to the Star Trek odd numbers curse. Civ odd numbered are stepping stones to their successors where they make right where they failed before. So based on that, I would say, wait 5 years and play Civilization 6 because it will be everything you hoped 5 would be. :)

While I agree on some points, it seems like what people really wanted was a third expansion to Civ4 and not a new game.

The problem with Civ 5 is that the kid who developed this game didnt follow Sid's advice. I wonder how many of you remember that video posted a few years ago where Sid was talking at a developers conference where he talked about NOT CHANGING TOO MUCH in the game to keep previous version players engaged. There are major problems with this game because of it.
I suspect if they had a mature person in charge of development they would have taken a more incremental and connected (to the previous games) path.

Fanboys note. There are HEAPS of people not happy with this game. They are not all wrong. I just find it no fun.

In a game that began to feel as dated as CIV does, innovation and ambition was needed. honestly, it has its share of issues, but I'm glad I'm playing a fresh ambitious if not unstable game rather than a fully fleshed out and very optimized Civ 4.5

In a game that began to feel as dated as CIV does, innovation and ambition was needed. honestly, it has its share of issues, but I'm glad I'm playing a fresh ambitious if not unstable game rather than a fully fleshed out and very optimized Civ 4.5

But there are things that were brilliant in Civ IV, some of which migrated to 5, but others that are curiously missing.

If you love CIV IV, you will most likely hate CIV 5, here's why:

Absurdly Lacking MP Support

No improvements at all from CIV IV: No dedicated servers, no matchmaking, constant lag issue, framerate problems, no online ladder and rankings, no unit animation, random crashes, no way of reconnecting a game, no way of joining a mid-game through invite.

I only played Civ IV through LAN, and we just saved and loaded if we had to split a game across sessions. I do find the lack of MP matchmaking disappointing though.

No SP Scenario

SP consists only of "Play Now" and "Custom Game". It doesn't get any more plain than this. And it has the stench of "sloth" and "greed" all over it.

I never once played a scenario in Civ IV, Warlords or BTS so this doesn't matter to me at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

No Tile Animation

Why the **** is this taken out? Why must players have to go into the city menu to see what tiles are being worked on??

I agree here. I would like this to be patched in at a later date.

No Religions

Religions weren't necessary, but it added flavors to the game. It was awesome trying to spread your state religion to the whole world, earning diplomatic favors and gold in the process. CIV IV lovers want the religion system to enhance so that it can impact the game in a more meaningful way, not remove it entirely.

Religion was ok but not that great. It was pretty binary, everyone of the same religion became allies and everyone else was an enemy. It made the AI really annoying because they would compound their research bonuses at higher difficulties by trading with each other leaving you really far behind, so I didn't like it.

No Espionage

Espionage was one of the best features to have been introduced in the CIV series. It gave players so many options and alternatives to go against their opponents without the risks of declaring open war: poison their water supply, scout out enemy troop strength, stir up a rebellion, steal their treasury, sabotage their wonder construction, etc. Why is this awesome feature removed completely?

I felt this was the worst addition to the game. The things a Spy could do were only minor annoyances and I didn't care to have to fortify Spies all over my empire to try to avoid sabotage and poisonings. The AI would seemingly gang up on me with Spies and I couldn't afford the production to hit them all back equally hard.

No Civics

Civics was another extremely well-thought out feature that was added in CIV IV. Not only did it add flavors to each nation (Communism vs. Capitalism, Emancipation vs. Slavery, Universal Suffrage vs. Police State), it provides long term tactical options as well as short term flexibility to players to adapt their empires based on the current circumstance. Deciding and changing Civics was always a weighty decision because each one of them have their pros and cons. It makes each nation unique because rarely do two empires have the identical set of Civics.

In CIV 5 Civics are replaced by Social Policies, which is fundamentally a ladder of perks with bonuses that you can upgrade one at a time. It may still be strategic to decide on which branch of policies and perk to upgrade, but because of the fact that they are permanent and you cannot change them, they offer absolutely no tactical flexibility to players. All branches and perks add some kind of bonus to your empire with no negative side effects, so the decision of choosing which one to upgrade also becomes less significant.

I like this change. I didn't particularly enjoy flipping Civics all the time depending on what I was doing at the moment. I also feel that some leaders being able to flip Civics without revolution kind of defeated the purpose of having different Civics. Why not just make it an upgrade tree if you're going to have all of them available whenever you need them anyways?

No Hamlets

Hamlets was an important tile improvement in CIV IV as the primary commerce provider. But its greatest strength is that over time it evolves into a cottage, a village and ultimately a town, encouraging players to build them early to reap the benefits.

In CIV 5 hamlet is replaced by "trading post" which has a MUCH uglier model and does not evolve.

I somewhat agree. I like the idea of an improvement that gets better the longer it survives without being pillaged. However, later in the game it was a huge pain to defend all your cottages and it just wasn't possible to prevent pillaging. After each war, I'd have to start a ton of cottages from scratch. Since Civ 5 has 1UPT, pillaging would occur even more with invading armies not sticking to 1-2 large stacks. If we still used Hamlets->Cottages, the aftermath of a war would always leave you horribly behind everyone economically with little hope of recovery.

No World Wonder Movies

Now all we get is a still picture and some quotes that most people don't give a **** about.

Wonder movies were nice but honestly it's a waste of resources from a budgetary standpoint. They're kinda nice the first time but I always skipped them anyways.

No Commerce, Research and Culture Sliders

Commerce, Research and Culture used to be interlinked in building your empire. Any of these resources can be distributed freely using sliders to let players develop their nations in the exact way they want.

In CIV 5, commerce, research and culture are completely separate entities. And the only decision players can make is to decide how much of each resource to produce.

I'm fine with this. It just means that research won't ever slow to a crawl because you had to make some units to defend or prepare to attack. Since tech trading doesn't exist anymore, you can't demand tons of techs to catch up in research from the civ you are dominating, so war would be far too punishing on your research level if it stayed tied to your commerce.

No Random Events

Random events provide small bonuses and surprises to your nation in the way of additional income, one additional food resource, increased culture, etc. Those bonuses are no way game-breaking, but they make you smile every now and then and make your empire feel like a real nation inhabited by living breathing people rather than some numbers and data on the screen.

City-states giving you quests is basically like the random quest events in BTS. As for other random events like +1food or stuff, I guess natural wonders replaced that.

User Interface

Firaxis might have thought that they were very clever in making the UI much more streamlined and linear, but it is NOT! This type of UI may have been ideal for the console version of Civ because of the limitation of the controller, but for a PC CIV this kind of UI brings more inconvenience and frustrations than otherwise.

PC gamers want data and information easily accessible, laid out clearly right in front of them, instead of clicking through menus and menus before finding out what they want to know.

I don't find the interface to be very console-like and it seems to work fine. I'm kind of glad the interface doesn't look like a spreadsheet anymore, when I play Civ I want to play a game, not an Excel spreadsheet.

City States

I really question the point of implementing City States. It may be fun to interact with them and build a good diplomatic relationship with them, but more often than not it's much easier, simpler and faster to just conquer them and take their resources than to waste gold buying their friendship.

The importance of City States as allies in war times is extremely limited too, considering that now military units cannot stack, and City States have such a small territory, their army size and strength naturally become very restricted.

I think they're a nice addition to the game. They fill some of the empty space and give you some nice bonuses if you Ally with them. In fact, those bonuses may be essential to winning Cultural victories because having more cities increases social policy cost, but having cultural city-state allies gives you massive bonus culture without the penalty of having more cities.

Framerate Problems

Even on Medium settings, and according to the requirements of the game my PC is more than enough to handle this game on High. It's painfully obvious that this game wasn't optimized.

I'm at the roughly the Recommended spec level (3GHz dualcore, 4GB ram, HD4870 512MB gpu, Vista x64 SP2) and I have no framerate problems.

No Leader Personality Traits

It provides a historical and semi-realistic flavors to each leader. And although some traits provokes controversies and debates amongst historians for their accuracy, it's part of the fun too.

The traits were kind of nice, but they ended up having to make too many to give each leader a unique combination and some of the trait abilities were clearly much better than others.

One Leader Per Nation

Is it really that much to ask for to have at least two leaders, even for a Vanilla pack?

It's easier to think of a nation when symbolized by a single leader figure. I don't mind it.

Conclusion: If you are a CIV IV fan, you will most likely hate this atrocity of a "sequel". Sequel, by definition, is supposed to improve on the original by fixing predecessor's flaws and enhance its strengths. But ironically CIV 5 has actually completely removed some of the strengths that made CIV IV so enjoyable, instead of building upon them and perfecting them.

CIV 5 is infested with extremely questionable designer flaws: Lack of tile animation, no World Wonder movies, the streamlined linear UI, just to name a few.

The extremely lacking single player and multiplayer aspect of the game is just utterly unforgivable, emitting the overwhelming impression that the entire package feels very incomplete, and you wonder if Firaxis did this intentionally knowing that the committed mod community will do their job for them.

I loved Civ IV. I played hundreds of hours single player and maybe a hundred hours LAN. My personal preference was Vanilla or Warlords (just for the Warlord GP) because I didn't like Espionage in BTS. I think I didn't like BTS because many of it's changes affected Modern Era, and I hated combat so much that I never liked Modern Era. I really, really hated having to produce dozens of units at a time to make massive stacks to either attack or defend. Combat stopped being fun for me after it started to require more than a dozen units.

I enjoy Civ V more than I did Civ IV, mostly because combat doesn't require managing hundreds of units anymore, and I won't be going back.

Like?

I mean, all of these cut features people whine about really were inconsequential in Civ4. Religon was paperthing and superficial, epsionage was really just annoying and unfun, corporations where inconsequential, Hamlets? please...

Civics? replaced by SP, which is much more robust and interesting.

Really, the depth of Civ4 is still there, in fact, its been improved on, the only thing thats missing is the customization and functionality, and that'll come with the first patch.

This game has problems, no doubt, but really, if you were expecting a Civ4 clone then all it will take for you to start to enjoy this is to forget everything you knew about 4.

Great review and honest too.

I loved Civ3. The thing is, Civ1 created an incredible base, Civ2 polished it and refined it. Civ3 made huge sweeping changes and created an incredible base, and CIV refined it and polished it.

Civ5 is the exact same thing. A ridiculously incredible base without the polish of experience. Modding will accelerate the process immensely though.

This is exactly another primary reason that makes me angry.

Firaxis is basically relying on mod teams to do their job for them.

I paid money for this game with the expectation that it is a "complete" product. I didn't pay Firaxis to wait weeks and months or even years for mods and expansions to come out to make the game into a complete package that it should have been on launch day.

Like?

I mean, all of these cut features people whine about really were inconsequential in Civ4. Religon was paperthing and superficial, epsionage was really just annoying and unfun, corporations where inconsequential, Hamlets? please...

Really, the depth of Civ4 is still there, in fact, its been improved on, the only thing thats missing is the customization and functionality, and that'll come with the first patch.

This game has problems, no doubt, but really, if you were expecting a Civ4 clone then all it will take for you to start to enjoy this is to forget everything you knew about 4.

I see why some things were streamlined but for instance, cottage vs. farms was an interesting strategic decision and an innovation in the Civ franchise. It shaped the basis of the economy of your civ. I just dont see that same interesting dynamic in Civ V.

That's one fundamental thing, I'm sure I'll think of more things. I disagree on religion; forming huge alliances ala the crusades lent some interesting aspects to the game. I also disagree that SP truly replaces Civics as I've outlined in other posts; SP are more analogous to traits that evolve over time than Civics.

This is exactly another primary reason that makes me angry.

Firaxis is basically relying on mod teams to do their job for them.

I paid money for this game with the expectation that it is a "complete" product. I didn't pay Firaxis to wait weeks and months or even years for mods and expansions to come out to make the game into a complete package that it should have been on launch day.

lol, you weren't around for when Civ4 came out, where you? Let me just say that Civ4 was in a much worse position when it came out than Civ5 is.

What I was actually saying though, and where you misinterpreted me, is that Civ5 takes away whats unessential and really capitalizes on the core design. Its far more important to have a fantastic core than tons of add ons. At this point, it isn't that modding is going to replace patching, that's not at all what I was saying. Its that modding will be what gives inspiration for what to do next with Civ5's minimalistic state. And that is a very good thing. It means that both ME and (frighteningly enough) YOU are going to be an active part in deciding the future of this franchise. Seriously, no joke. How fricking cool is that?

Shafer did something ballsy, ambitious and somewhat visionary by integrating modding into the main game, and it will help the Civ series drastically. And you just complained about it.

Like?

Did you even play Civ IV?
The 'Religious Victory' might be considered superficial.
I never thought of religion as thin, however.
Espionage can be quite boring and 'unfun' until you learn how to use it.
Corporations were very useful toward victory at times.
I played for cultural victory most games, so I understand corporations become unused in certain strategies.
They were still FUN 8)
Civics (Civ IV) are much more dynamic than Policies (Civ V).
I do not see the depth and complexity of Civ IV in Civ V.
I do agree that it can only improve with patches, expansions, and mods.
Much the same way MOO3 became playable after modding.

lol, you weren't around for when Civ4 came out, where you? Let me just say that Civ4 was in a much worse position when it came out than Civ5 is.

Firaxis should have learned its lesson and not make the same mistake twice.

What I was actually saying though, and where you misinterpreted me, is that Civ5 takes away whats unessential and really capitalizes on the core design. Its far more important to have a fantastic core than :):):):)-tons of add ons. At this point, it isn't that modding is going to replace patching, that's not at all what I was saying. Its that modding will be what gives inspiration for what to do next with Civ5's minimalistic state.

What's "Unessential" or not is pure subjective opinions. For many of us who have played CIV IV for years, fundamental elements such as Civics, Religions, Sliders, etc, have already become an essential and inseparable part of the CIV experience.

Just like how Culture and multiple victory conditions have come to be naturally associated with the series since they were introduced in CIV 2.

And that is a very good thing. It means that both ME and (frighteningly enough) YOU are going to be an active part in deciding the future of this franchise. Seriously, no joke. How fuking cool is that?

Well so far, many (I won't say majority) of us are unpleased with the amount of features that are removed from the predecessors, I guess it's fair to say that Firaxis should implement them in a later patch?

Firaxis should have learned its lesson and not make the same mistake twice.

I agree, I just find it ironic that you have Civ 4 on a golden altar, and you forget it had just as rough a start as Civ 5.

What's "Unessential" or not is pure subjective opinions. For many of us who have played CIV IV for years, fundamental elements such as Civics, Religions, Sliders, etc, have already become an essential and inseparable part of the CIV experience.

Well, I can say, not as a matter of opinion but as a matter of fact, that religon and Civics aren't actually fundamental at all to Civ4's gameplay, considering they bear little effect on the game and you can turn them off when making a game with no change or substitute within the game logic.

Sliders, imo, is kinda silly, and the new method of managing an economy requires alot more planning, as there is no "turn science down 10%" faultswitch anymore.

Just like how Culture and multiple victory conditions have come to be naturally associated with the series since they were introduced in CIV 2.

Um... replay Civ II, that game didn't have visible borders, let alone culture.

Well so far, many (I won't say majority) of us are unpleased with the amount of features that are removed from the predecessors, I guess it's fair to say that Firaxis should implement them in a later patch?

I can totally understand this. The game is content light on release, and thats something I expected considering Civ4 was the same way, but am disappointed with.

However, once WB is released, you won't even have to wait for an expansion to satisfy the hunger for more content, as the modding community will explode. Fret not, content is on its way.

I think we can establish that what the vast majority of people are ticked off about is kinda irrelevent. Either they wanted the content of a 5 year old game with 2 expansions and countless mods at launch, or they wanted the exact gameplay of a 5 year old game with 2 expansions and countless mods.

Either way, its silly. There are far more important things to complain about then "Its not Civ 4" or "I want more content."

If you love CIV IV, you will most likely hate CIV 5, here's why:
You, kind sir, are correct.

More than correct, you are insightful, with these sixteen theses you have become a new Martin Luther in the annals of Civilization.

:king:

This looks to me to similiar to the Star Trek odd numbers curse. Civ odd numbered are stepping stones to their successors where they make right where they failed before. So based on that, I would say, wait 5 years and play Civilization 6 because it will be everything you hoped 5 would be. :)
Great news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom