1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Patine

Patine Deity

Out of curiosity, what religion were these guys following before 1000 AD? I had thought that, aside from a few communities of Jews and some Manichaeinists, pretty much everyone in the East Roman Empire (when it become the Byzantine Empire) had been converted, or strong-armed to give lip-service, to Christianity, by the time the Western Empire fell. It seems I'm wrong.

2. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Late era Ottoman akinci horse archer. Based on Chris Flaherty's plates.

Attached Files:

4. Patine

Patine Deity

@Tanelorn - any luck at finding the religion followed by those stubbornly pagan Greeks in the Byzantine Era before 1000 AD you posted on post #340?

5. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  6. Fairline

Fairline King

Hello all, I thought I might as well dump a collection of units I drew for Field of Glory and which may be of use to someone here. I can't be arsed to put them in ToT unit format, but they're saved on a transparent png so are easy enough to cut and paste as required. Some of them have obviously been posted here before but there's quite a few new 'uns too.

FIELD OF GLORY 1.png

Attached Files:

CurtSibling and Tanelorn like this.
  7. Fairline

Fairline King

8. Fairline

Fairline King

9. Fairline

Fairline King

And lastly some more recent drawings. I started out drawing Warhammer fantasy bods but got sidetraked into historical renaissance stuff. There's English Wars of the Roses and early 16th century Flodden units; French, Imperial, Venetian, Spanish, Burgundian and Swiss late 15th / early 16th Century units.Tacked on at the bottom are a mix of Syrian, Bedouin, Berber and Seljuk / Turcoman late Crusader era units together with 15th / 16th cent. Ottomans and Mamluks. Hope somebody finds a use for them!

WH fantasy n ren.png

zwei833 and Tanelorn like this.
  10. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Outstanding collection , thanks! As it happens I have been looking at updating A Soaring Spirit PBEM for ToTPP and more than a few of these units will make it into that conversion/upgrade.

Can I ask what Field of Glory is and where we might find it?

11. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Sweet!

12. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Amazing! Where have you been all my life? :love:

13. Fairline

Fairline King

Heh, good to see you to Tech :)

Drew, Field of Glory is an old (and extremely expensive with all dlc) turn-based wargame from Slitherine

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=378&PlatformID=1

It has an excellent battle system with morale, command, flanking etc taken into account but doesn't have an overarching campaign feature. There is a tarted up sequal with 3d gfx called Pike and Shot, which improves on the original in most respects.

14. gapetit

gapetit Prince

:eek: Superb Units Fairline :goodjob:
    :love: too
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

15. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Looks interesting, though the lack of a campaign option sounds like a drawback. One of the thinks I love about Open General is developing your core throughout a lengthy campaign. I'm currently about 1/3 way through the WWI Hungarian Cavalry campaign (KuK).

16. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

You are an amazing master artist Gareth. :goodjob:

17. techumseh

techumseh Emperor

Is there a similar editable PC wargame suitable for battles like Waterloo, Blenheim, Gettysburg or Konigsberg? Or even musket and pike era battles?

18. Fairline

Fairline King

Well there are the John Tiller series of games which have editable sprites etc http://www.johntillersoftware.com/ and HPS http://www.hpssims.com/. I have Tiller's waterloo and renaissance games from way back. They're pretty creaky now but fun in short spells. As Drew has pointed out the Open General engine is fantastic and has a large range of user-made scenarios and campaigns, largely WW2 but also napoleonic and ACW: http://luis-guzman.com/opengen.html and here http://panzercentral.com/forum/index.php?sid=c5b2df748e88c76fa00a2cce46feb58f It's free too...

19. Fairline

Fairline King

@ Gapetit and Tanelorn: Thanks chaps :)

20. Patine

Patine Deity

A question for anyone who can answer it - did the Thracians during the Archaic, Classical, and Hellenistic eras of Greece have any cavalry or charioteer military units or traditions? Although I've heard a lot about Thracian peltasts and raiders, and even seem many drawings of them, I've never, myself, come across any real mention of any equestrian military tradition used by the "red-haired sons of Ares," nor seen any firm statement saying they were utterly without such traditions.