1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by Arthedain, Jan 24, 2011.

1. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

I have not seen any evidence of an equestrian tradition amongst the Thracians. I would hazard a guess and say this was due to the topography of their region. Cavalry thrive on wide open plains, not foothills and narrow mountain passes. I believe the Thracians would have primarily used small scale ambush/guerilla warfare tactics unless united into bigger groups for a specific campaign. This is just my impression but it seems logical.

2. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Kind of a mixed bag, some good, some not so much. @McMonkey you will find your Thracian cavalry half way down.

Attached Files:

gapetit likes this.
  3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Some random scraps i've had laying around for a couple years. Some Barb leaders, an explorer, 2 siege engines(giant mace whacking carts) and a pair of prancing crazies.
    PreSteamScraps.PNG

Tanelorn likes this.
  4. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

These are going to come in handy. Thanks for posting!

5. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Now that lua allows for ranged attack units, does anyone have (or would anyone be willing to draw) the following:

-Arrows flying through the air with and without fire
    -Javelins flying through the air
    -ballista/scorpio bolts flying through the air
    -boulders from a catapult flying through the air
    -flaming boulders/munitions from a catapult flying through the air
    -slinger stones flying through the air

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  7. CurtSibling

Is this the ToTPP allowing proper ranged units?

8. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Yes, Curt. It takes 2 unit slots (1 for the unit and the other for ammo), but with lua, you can have ranged attacks (it's possible to trigger an instant create unit for the ammo on top of the unit, which is tied to the unit's MP).

9. CurtSibling

And how elegant is this system in-game? Sounds like something that would be tricky to set up.

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

It is quite elegant and although I'm sure the coding was challenging for Grishnach the first time, once it is set up it seems to be a matter of changing some integers. I've explained it in more detail in the Caesar thread so as not to hijack this one.

11. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Would you have any interest in taking a stab at a celtic/british druid from the time of the first Roman landings in the first century BC? It seems like the kind of unit that is right up your alley :)

vodot likes this.
  12. vodot

vodot Chieftain

Here's a challenge for you crazy awesome unit makers: How about a set of meso/south americans and native americans in the current style? Did I miss a scenario like that somewhere? I'm gradually compiling a Civ2-Civ3 hybrid ruleset for freeciv (with civ-specific traits and unique units and buildings), and this incredible artwork is just amazing in it's attention to detail (I mean, how many hundreds of variants of the roman legionary do I need?), but now the one group of nations for which I'm having a hard time rustling up a variety of terrific art are those in the Americas: The Inca, Maya, Mapuche and Aztecs; the Sioux, Iroquois, Cherokee, and Apache; and the Aluet and Inuit as well. I've seen some older scenarios on the wiki- with better unit gfx then I could ever draw- yet the art pales next to these incredible units you guys are making today and over the last few years.

I'm thankful for the bits and pieces I have seen of some of the North American tribes (I found some Sioux and Iroquois in the AWI and ACW scenarios and compilations), but meso/south america and the far north are coming up blank for me- Are there any scenarios with updated gfx that include these peoples?

Also: I second the druid! One of two unique units I have slated for the Celts (the other currently being a nervii ambusher/spear-thrower/ranger/skirmisher/probably has an actual name I haven't researched, of which I have found more suitable examples in these pages that I could ever ask for).

13. Patine

Patine Deity

Actually, one of the scenarios I was considering before I decided on Pacific Rim, and one I may do in the future still, is a scenario on the rise of the Inca Empire from the days of Ayar Manco, or Manco Capac, and his three siblings, from their emerging from the Tamputoco cave in the Andes and founding the city of Cuzco, to the rise and height of the Inca Empire (but NOT up to and including Francisco Pizzaro and his Spanish Conquistadors' arrival), and having not only Inca, but Wari, Tiwanaku, Moche, Chimor, Muisca, and (possibly, despite archaeological apparently no longer being extent at the time), the Lima, Viru, and Nazca cultures, and Amazonian blowgunner and Pampas bolos trackers/warriors, both as fringe barbarian units and because the Inca occasionally apparently used them as mercenaries. Of course, one of the big impediments to such a project was a lack of unit and city graphics.

14. CurtSibling

Why don't the FreeCiv guys don't just learn to make unit icon art or (even better) commission one of us to make them units?

15. vodot

vodot Chieftain

If my ask is coming across as grasping, Curt, I apologize. I'm honestly just commenting on the dearth of native american scenarios in the modern style, and wondering if I missed something.

Apparently not :) Thanks Patine- such a scenario would be awesome.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  16. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Some pagan cultists:

Attached Files:

gapetit and JPetroski like this.
  17. Patine

Patine Deity

Which pagan religion does each follow? :p

18. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

1st row, slavic pantheon (belobog, chernobog, perun etc.)
    2nd row celtic pantheon (cernunnos, teutates, epona etc.)

CurtSibling likes this.
  19. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Various robed and hooded characters.

Attached Files:

20. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Emperor

Nordic gode

Attached Files:

CurtSibling likes this.