Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Chinese bronze age spearmen.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Chinese Bronze age spears.png
    Tanelorn Chinese Bronze age spears.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,171
I must admit I am largely unfamiliar with Chinese warfare and apparel before the Han, well, late Han and the Three Kingdoms period. Those are both very interesting and they look very good!

More Chinese infantry from the Shang and Spring and Autumn eras. Reverse trapezoid and double-arch shields and fixed the Shang bronze disk armor.
Warring states era early Chinese cavalry, mostly confined to the western states and excluding the state of Yueh that was already conquered by 333 bC:

You know how it is complicated with Chinese transliterations, Qin=Chin, Chu=Zhou, Shou etc

Attachments

• Tanelorn more Chinese Infantry.png
    Tanelorn more Chinese Infantry.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,034
  • Tanelorn Early Chinese Cavalry.png
    Tanelorn Early Chinese Cavalry.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
:eek: I don't have that scenario added, but I hope to include it tomorrow with this wonder of units.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Very timely :) I dont suppose you feel like taking a stab at Boudicca in her chariot, would you?

Sure. Huns, Alans and Ostrogoth vassal infantry to fight the Romans, Avars, Bulgars, Khazars and Cumans to fight the Byzantines:

View attachment 546957

These will be an awesome upgrade when I return to finish my Fall of Rome scenario! :thumbsup:

Hello everyone

I have used to be able to change unit graphics in MGE, but when I change the files in a scenario in ToT(PP), it crashes whenever I load it. I have tried to figure out what I am doing wrong, but it crashes even when I simply overwrite the existing units.BMP file without changing anything to the graphics.

Hence, I am a bit stuck in my progress and would greatly appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding how to go about changing the graphics in ToTPP.

Btw, I use GIMP for editing the graphics as I used to make it work on MGE.

Thanks in advance :)

Jack, can you post the units file you're having problems with and we'll try and sort it out

First of all, I am totally new to editing anything in ToTPP, so I hope you will excuse my complete ignorance. I somehow stuck to MGE for the past 20 years (I never realized anyone else actually still played civ2, so really excited about this community(!)). Hence, I only have experience creating scenarios and editing through the scenario editor function within the MGE game.

I am currently trying to figure out how to create a scenario and change the unit graphics in the file 'units.bmp' that I figured is relevant(?) for changing the appearance of the units. Thus, I have made a copy of the "Fantasy" folder and named it "test scenario folder". In this folder, there is a file called units.BMP, which i have attempted to edit - without success.

Attachments

• units.BMP
    732.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Jack, I would recommend using this unit file here as a base - The unit file in ToT has to be saved as a certain colour mode, different from MGE.

PS
I am not sure how good GIMP is for editing, as I have always used PS or PaintshopPro in my MGE days.

Attachments

• 1_Template_units.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
Thanks a bunch. I will give it a try

I believe GIMP is recommended on Catfish's site, however that might very well be outdated.

Top Bottom